Who Would You Draft First Overall?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
not really because imo those 2 RNH, and Yakupov are not first overall calibre players there just happened to be a really weak year with no high end prospects. and the last 10 years first overalls are Ekblad, Mackinnon, Yakupov, RNH, Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, Kane, Johnson, Crosby, Ovechkin. alot will point to EJ because he hasn't come close to fulfilling his potential after missing his entire 18 year old season due to injuries but he was scene as a franchise Dmen and went above alot of great prospects like Toews/Backstrom and Kessel. you could maybe debate Ekblad but other then that I dont believe there's a real case for him to go number 1 in any of those drafts, and this idea is simply over hyping him as a prospect. and he's a great prospect no doubt this isn't anything against him but I don't see the case myself. but please if you want to try and make a case would love to read it.

If you are good enough to go 1st overall, you are 1st overall caliber. If it's a weak draft class then you're pretty much a weak 1st overall caliber player, but you don't stop being one.

That's the only logical definition. Otherwise you put yourself in a position where you arbitrarily decide how good a 1st overall should be, when the truth is that it varies a lot.

The case is in their draft years, with context in mind. Yakupov had a similar situation with a lesser year and equally many if not more question marks. You mention EJ and say he would have gone first because he was regarded as a possible franchise D-man. Well guess what, so is Hanifin who went after Marner this year. Same thing could be said for Ekblad, and Marner has an edge on RNH as well. Even Stamkos wasn't actually that great of a prospect, he developed better than people thought he would.

Just like you can't look at how EJ developed (he's become pretty much the D-man people thought he could be now btw) and hold it against him, you can't do the reverse with guys like Ekblad, RNH and Stammer.

We lucked out big time this year.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Voted Marner, just going by their stats going into the draft - but I think it would have been a toss-up/coin flip between Marner and MacKinnon. I do remember MacKinnon was looked upon as a very special player. I also remember though that Yakupov was looked upon as a pretty sure thing as well - and there is still time for him to develop into a very good player.

Looking at their careers so far though, it IS interesting to reflect and see what has happened. Going by career so far . . . I think most would take Hall at #1, RNH at #2, Mackinnon at #3 (close between him and RNH).

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
Stats also tell us Phil Kessel is a borderline top-5 forward in the NHL most years, and we all know that isn't true. There's more to hockey than points and goals.

I didn't read OP, but I'd take Hall and Mackinnon over him definitely, and possibly still RNH, so my order is still unchanged.

Yeah, but you're still sore about us skipping on Hanifin. You've dedicated every post you write to whining about Marner.

Marner for me too. Kid's special.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
If you are good enough to go 1st overall, you are 1st overall caliber. If it's a weak draft class then you're pretty much a weak 1st overall caliber player, but you don't stop being one.

That's the only logical definition. Otherwise you put yourself in a position where you arbitrarily decide how good a 1st overall should be, when the truth is that it varies a lot.

The case is in their draft years, with context in mind. Yakupov had a similar situation with a lesser year and equally many if not more question marks. You mention EJ and say he would have gone first because he was regarded as a possible franchise D-man. Well guess what, so is Hanifin who went after Marner this year. Same thing could be said for Ekblad, and Marner has an edge on RNH as well. Even Stamkos wasn't actually that great of a prospect, he developed better than people thought he would.

Just like you can't look at how EJ developed (he's become pretty much the D-man people thought he could be now btw) and hold it against him, you can't do the reverse with guys like Ekblad, RNH and Stammer.

We lucked out big time this year.

I disagree on EJ he's an excellent Dmen now no doubt but he was scene as a top 5 potential Dmen in the NHL and he hasn't lived up to that to this point. he lead his WJ team USA and was the number 1 Dmen on that team that again only lost to Team Canada team. his Hype was far bigger then Hanifin. the year Johnson was drafted that team USA was all about the Johnson kids, Jack and EJ, EJ was scene as a far better player then Jack was.

Johnson was a member of the U.S. junior team team that won a bronze medal in the 2007 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships. He was named to the tournament's All-Star Team and was named the tournament's Best Defenseman. Johnson finished the tournament with four goals and six assists for ten points, becoming the first defenseman to lead the tournament in scoring.

that all as a 17 year old when's the last time that happened since? and yes I understand it was a short tournament but he was expected to play at that level this wasn't a surprise. I don't think Hanifin really compares to Johnson's draft years.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Nathan Mac for sure, he will bounce back next year, still looks like a future franchise/elite cornerstone

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
MacKinnon hands down. His skating combined with the overall package of vision, hockey sense, shot, and even how physical he can get at times sets him apart for me.

I'd take Marner over Yakupov for sure, don't know about RNH, people have soured on him but he's still one of the best young playmaking centers in the league.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
MacKinnon. He just seemed more "NHL ready" during his draft year.
I met him about 3-4 weeks ago at a pub in Halifax. He was polite, talkative and seemed very genuine. Talked about visiting Cannes after the world hockey championship. When the bartender asked his opinion on the "Leaf's situation", he said "no comment" and laughed, as did I.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
If we're talking draft years:

Mackinnon
Hall
Marner
RNH
Yakupov

however based on what I think their careers will be, imo easily:

Mackinnon/Marner(mackinnon has a bit more size, but marner insane skill)
Hall(lacks in the defensive department)

RNH(average #1C)
Yakupov(top 6 winger)

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
MacKinnon hands down. His skating combined with the overall package of vision, hockey sense, shot, and even how physical he can get at times sets him apart for me.

I'd take Marner over Yakupov for sure, don't know about RNH, people have soured on him but he's still one of the best young playmaking centers in the league.

RNH was pretty light in his draft year as well, so it's not like size wasn't an issue there either.

I'd easily take Marner over RNH, you're talking a 20 point difference in 6 less games, a guy that drove the offence on his line and has insane work ethic on both ends of the ice.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I'm going to answer this like they all had their draft year at the same time.

In my mind, 1st Mackinnon, 2nd Marner, 3rd Hall, 4th RNH, 5th Yakupov.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Marner is the odd one out as he hasn't played an NHL game yet. Out of the other four it's obviously MacKinnon. He was the generational talent before McDavid remember?

He's going to take the next step next year and become elite if you ask me. Avalanche are gonna be dangerous if they can just get some goaltending and defense.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Between these players with perfect hindsight on all but Marner, you take a guy who has already played in the NHL at a high level. But Marner projects to be just as good as any of these guys. Only question is whether he'll get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad