Who Would Win: Atom AAA team (U11) vs Average NBA Team

Who Would Win a Hockey Game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Give your average athlete 10 tries to throw a ball at least 70 mph in the strikezone and they probably do it 0 out of 10 times (unless they grew up playing baseball)

Probably not 70 mph but after 10 or so tries im sure they could get the hang of tossing it 50-55 in the strike zone. Its really not a thing that requires much athleticism

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Probably not 70 mph but after 10 or so tries im sure they could get the hang of tossing it 50-55 in the strike zone. Its really not a thing that requires much athleticism

Considering 10-12 year old little league players can throw and hit multiple types of pitches 60-70 mph in the strikezone they've already lost then

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This whole conversation reminds me of when I was 15 and taking martial arts, and this obnoxious 9 year old said he would kick my ass cause he was like five or six belts higher.

I picked him up and just held him in the air until he yelled for his dad.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I will admit that skates are a barrier. If you're on skates and can't skate, you literally can't move.

In ball hockey, to be completely honest, I think me and my average Joe friends in their mid to late 20's working normal jobs win this, let alone NBA players.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I think baseball is actually where the adults have the least advantage because it's non-contact.

How are 11 years olds getting the puck away from a guy who's 6'11", 250 and fast?
By being positionally sound and knowing how to stick check a player who can barely stickhandle lol. This is a much less extreme example but I routinely play with guys who've never played organized hockey, go search up The Hockey Guy meetup videos. We get together with 50 or so guys to play hockey and only a few of us played organized hockey. There's a guy who goes there who's legit 6'7" and I remember him trying to get the ball from me and I'd just dangle around him until he was dizzy and I could hold him off of me with one arm while powering around him even though I am much smaller and weaker. A few times some kids (legit 8 years old) who played came and they were dangling a bunch of grown men and could pass through like with 5 guys in between and still go tape to tape every time. In one livestream some guy said he wanted to come to meetups but was nervous because a guy there plays in the WHL (which I don't think is true LOL) and The Hockey Guy said Jesse? the Rangers fan? :laugh: and I'm not even that good lol

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
By being positionally sound and knowing how to stick check a player who can barely stickhandle lol. This is a much less extreme example but I routinely play with guys who've never played organized hockey, go search up The Hockey Guy meetup videos. We get together with 50 or so guys to play hockey and only a few of us played organized hockey. There's a guy who goes there who's legit 6'7" and I remember him trying to get the ball from me and I'd just dangle around him until he was dizzy and I could hold him off of me with one arm while powering around him even though I am much smaller and weaker. A few times some kids (legit 8 years old) who played came and they were dangling a bunch of grown men and could pass through like with 5 guys in between and still go tape to tape every time. In one livestream some guy said he wanted to come to meetups but was nervous because a guy there plays in the WHL (which I don't think is true LOL) and The Hockey Guy said Jesse? the Rangers fan? :laugh: and I'm not even that good lol
They were probably going easy on them because they're kids.

I haven't played hockey in a long ass time and if I wanted it bad enough, a 10 year old wouldn't be able to get the puck away from me.

Age groups exist for a reason.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think baseball is actually where the adults have the least advantage because it's non-contact.

How are 11 years olds getting the puck away from a guy who's 6'11", 250 and fast?
I'm not even sure you could field an entire real roster of actual MLB players under age 23, let alone a fake national team that is competitive with the national teams of the largest playing countries in the game. There are 2 players in the world born in the 2000s that have appeared in an MLB game thus far this season (almost half over). There was somewhere between 40-50 that appeared in an NHL game this season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
A bunch of us old fat beer league dads can beat our Atom AAA kids. But... even if we suck, we still know how to skate and play hockey, and sometimes it almost comes down to who we get as our goalie and just how hard our coaches who can truly play try.

At PeeWee it gets a little more interesting.

At Bantam we lose.

NBA players who probably can't skate at all lose easy IMHO. :dunno:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not even sure you could field an entire real roster of actual MLB players under age 23, let alone a fake national team that is competitive with the national teams of the largest playing countries in the game. There are 2 players in the world born in the 2000s that have appeared in an MLB game thus far this season (almost half over). There was somewhere between 40-50 that appeared in an NHL game this season.
That has a lot to do with the way baseball works. Organizations have five or six farm teams and the talent pool is massive.

An adult playing competitive hockey against a child can just shove the child out of the way. If a child can throw a curveball and the adult can't hit curveballs, he's not hitting it. You can't beat the ball up.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
There is a ''breaking'' point when the NBA dudes reach a certain amount of being comfortable on skates they would likely be able to win quite easily, even if they skate real bad and real slow. I mean while the 11 years olds obviously skate better, shoot and pass, we are talking about 7-foot high-end athletes here. As soon as they are comfortable on the ice they will easily be able to stop these kids in their tracks and advance towards the other goal by protecting the puck with their giant body.

Just two NBA dmen + an NBA goalie standing around the goal not even moving would likely be enough to stop most scoring chances from the 11 years olds. Then get 3 guys who can somewhat skate at forward and they could score a bunch of goals for the NBA.

Obviously, if none of them can skate, the kids will win.

Reactions: GeNeXt

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And what if one of the NBA players is Jimmy Butler?

Jimmy would go all-out full contact against kids just to prove a point.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
They were probably going easy on them because they're kids.

I haven't played hockey in a long ass time and if I wanted it bad enough, a 10 year old wouldn't be able to get the puck away from me.

Age groups exist for a reason.

I will admit that skates are a barrier. If you're on skates and can't skate, you literally can't move.

In ball hockey, to be completely honest, I think me and my average Joe friends in their mid to late 20's working normal jobs win this, let alone NBA players.
They weren't going easy, nobody was hitting anybody obvs but they were trying to stick check them still and I found them more difficult to check than the other adults. They were still pulling off passes and sniping it like none of the grown ups could. You're talking about it as if it's like a 1V1 scenario but when it's a team, and these other guys have never played organized hockey as a team; the kids will swarm and know how to get the adult team to cough up the puck. Age groups exist among kids of similar skillset, younger kids who are elite still play up a division. Like I play organized ball hockey which is a pretty big deal here in BC, I played at high levels (provincial teams, and with a lot of guys who played for team Canada). I just transitioned from Junior to Men's and I put up way more points my first season in Men's than in Junior. The players in Men's are much stronger obviously, but the Junior division was more of like an "elite" division and the skill level was higher.

I don't think there's any chance in hell you and random buddies who don't actively play hockey would beat a group of elite 10 year olds in ball hockey :laugh: the cardio alone (which the other professional athletes would have) makes it very difficult on your average Joe who isn't active. In ball hockey I have below average cardio on my team even though I'm the youngest, but in ice hockey I have the best cardio on my team by a mile.

Once the world returns to normal we NEED to do an HFNYR ball hockey meetup :laugh:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
That has a lot to do with the way baseball works. Organizations have five or six farm teams and the talent pool is massive.

An adult playing competitive hockey against a child can just shove the child out of the way. If a child can throw a curveball and the adult can't hit curveballs, he's not hitting it. You can't beat the ball up.
Ah, perhaps I was talking past you then, as I was referring to a team of "phenom kids" versus a team of "low-level professionals", not necessarily adult novices vs. phenom kids. My mistake.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Bantam kids would be a lot harder to beat because the kids' bodies are more mature and some even reach close to 6-foot tall. They are much faster and have much more powerful strides. They can shield the puck better.

Most pee wee kids are under 5'0 and all they can do is skate and take weak shots. They have no concept of puck protection and most of their passing is extremely unaccurate.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They weren't going easy, nobody was hitting anybody obvs but they were trying to stick check them still and I found them more difficult to check than the other adults. They were still pulling off passes and sniping it like none of the grown ups could. You're talking about it as if it's like a 1V1 scenario but when it's a team, and these other guys have never played organized hockey as a team; the kids will swarm and know how to get the adult team to cough up the puck. Age groups exist among kids of similar skillset, younger kids who are elite still play up a division. Like I play organized ball hockey which is a pretty big deal here in BC, I played at high levels (provincial teams, and with a lot of guys who played for team Canada). I just transitioned from Junior to Men's and I put up way more points my first season in Men's than in Junior. The players in Men's are much stronger obviously, but the Junior division was more of like an "elite" division and the skill level was higher.

I don't think there's any chance in hell you and random buddies who don't actively play hockey would beat a group of elite 10 year olds in ball hockey :laugh: the cardio alone (which the other professional athletes would have) makes it very difficult on your average Joe who isn't active. In ball hockey I have below average cardio on my team even though I'm the youngest, but in ice hockey I have the best cardio on my team by a mile.

Once the world returns to normal we NEED to do an HFNYR ball hockey meetup :laugh:
"Nobody was hitting anybody in obvs"

Congrats, you have solved this thread. You need pro skill to beat guys that have two feet and 150 pounds on each of you. Most u11 players don't have pro skill. The vast majority, in fact.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There is a ''breaking'' point when the NBA dudes reach a certain amount of being comfortable on skates they would likely be able to win quite easily, even if they skate real bad and real slow. I mean while the 11 years olds obviously skate better, shoot and pass, we are talking about 7-foot high-end athletes here. As soon as they are comfortable on the ice they will easily be able to stop these kids in their tracks and advance towards the other goal by protecting the puck with their giant body.

Just two NBA dmen + an NBA goalie standing around the goal not even moving would likely be enough to stop most scoring chances from the 11 years olds. Then get 3 guys who can somewhat skate at forward and they could score a bunch of goals for the NBA.

Obviously, if none of them can skate, the kids will win.
Agreed, hockey has an obviously high "minimum acceptability threshold" to play even recreationally as a result of skating but once the NBA guys had enough time on ice skates they would just physically overpower.

Like seriously, :laugh: at thinking some little kid is gonna be stick handling around Giannis once Giannis has practiced and gotten comfortable on skates.

Reactions: NA Scouting

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Bantam kids would be a lot harder to beat because the kids' bodies are more mature and some even reach close to 6-foot tall. They are much faster and have much more powerful strides. They can shield the puck better.

Most pee wee kids are under 5'0 and all they can do is skate and take weak shots. They have no concept of puck protection and most of their passing is extremely unaccurate.
Right, I feel like this whole scenario is imagining NHL talents in children's bodies.

Have we seen kids this young play hockey? Most of them can't skate either. Need to be in the crease to score because they shoot 50 MPH. No concept of systems which the pros would have, even if it's not what they're used to.

Reactions: NA Scouting

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

15 is around when boys teams start beating top women's teams in sports like basketball, soccer and hockey right? So yeah that's probably it.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Do the NBA guys get to train at all or are we painting a scenario where you walk into the LA Lakers locker room one day and say, "Hey guys, hockey game vs 11-year olds in one hour, be in the locker room in 15 minutes to get your pads?"

If the NBA players get to train a bit or if they have a few guys who could skate decently they'd destroy them. We're talking the elite of the elite in terms of athletes and they're mostly 6'3" and above. You think an 11-year old is getting the puck by Giannis if Giannis can skate a bit with that reach? Who is going to take the puck from LeBron or Joel Embiid if they can skate or move them out of the way in front of the net?

If you have a bunch of dudes who have never skated before then yeah the 11-year olds probably win but I bet if you give the NBA players two weeks of skating lessons a lot of them could pick it up quickly.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
This whole conversation reminds me of when I was 15 and taking martial arts, and this obnoxious 9 year old said he would kick my ass cause he was like five or six belts higher.

I picked him up and just held him in the air until he yelled for his dad.
Lmao! been there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad