Who Would We Protect in an Expansion Draft?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Giroux
Voracek
Schenn
Simmonds
Couturier
Read
Akeson
Umberger
Raffl

Coburn
Streit
Schenn
MacD
Del Zotto

Mason

I chose MacD because at least Grossmann could be off the list, but also, if we're required to pick 5, I'd keep MacD and his contract over keeping Grossmann around... yeah...

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Schenn would easily get selected in an Expansion Draft, very likely he would even be one of the first players off the board. Then you're without a good asset whether you think he has a future here or not.

Good asset is an opinion. I'd rather trade him, honestly for defense.

I'll try my hand with Laughton possibly.

I understand this view won't be liked by the majority of people. I think he is replaceable and mediocre. I don't necessarily protect mediocre assets. Necessarily. I'm enjoying leaving him off the list, however. He can be taken as the first selection by another team and be one of the worst 1st line centers in the league. I hope he finds whatever it is this year and proves me wrong. He's kind of average. Why protect him? Because he's a reasonable warm body?

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

I understand this view won't be liked by the majority of people. I think he is replaceable and mediocre. I don't necessarily protect mediocre assets. Necessarily. I'm enjoying leaving him off the list, however. He can be taken as the first selection by another team and be one of the worst 1st line centers in the league. I hope he finds whatever it is this year and proves me wrong. He's kind of average. Why protect him? Because he's a reasonable warm body?

Laughton will never be Schenn. He just put up a 40 point season (41 in total) and there is no reason he should go down from there, especially when he hasn't hit his prime yet. He just finished his first full season in the NHL (82 games) and just turned 23... there is literally no reason to get rid of him for no one. If we got him for a defenseman, it'd have to be someone that could step in top 3 immediately.

Raffl and Akeson are extremely expendable, and the idea that they are more valuable and can do more for the team than Schenn is a joke.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Or because he has trade value and it would be stupid to lose him for absolutely nothing when 29 other teams would give up a real asset for him? No?

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

You answered that yourself already.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Or because he has trade value and it would be stupid to lose him for absolutely nothing when 29 other teams would give up a real asset for him? No?

Exactly, he has trade value & for that alone he should be protected even if you don't think he has much of a future here (that's what I meant by good asset). It's really not that tough of call to make with 9 spots available & epspecially over the likes of Raffl & Akeson (the former's a bottom 6 player albeit a good one & the latter's future not only with the Flyers but the NHL is still unsure at this point).

Raffl and Akeson are extremely expendable, and the idea that they are more valuable and can do more for the team than Schenn is a joke.

Exactly this as well, it's terrible asset management 101.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Option 1: Protect 1 goalie, 5 defensemen, and 9 forwards. There is no experience requirement for the goalies left unprotected. One defenseman and two forwards left unprotected must have played at least 40 games in the year before, or 70 games combined over the last 2 years.

Mason
Coburn, Streit, Schenn, MDZ, AMac
Giroux, Voracek, Read, Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, RJ, Raffl, PEB
(Emery, Grossmann, White, Rinaldo)

Option 2: Protect 2 goalies, 3 defensemen, and 7 forwards. In this scenario, every goalie left unprotected must have played in 10 games the previous season, or 25 games combined over the last 2 years. One defenseman and two forwards left unprotected must have played at least 40 games in the year before, or 70 games combined over the last 2 years.

Mason, Emery
Coburn, Schenn, Streit
Giroux, Voracek, Read, Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds RJ

Option 2 seems way worse of an idea, unless you are trying to get McDavid.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
He has trade value, sure, but since I doubt he will be traded, I'd lose him for nothing then attempt to strike water from a rock for five years. He's 23 now. He's not far from his prime. Beyond a nice shot, streakiness, and the ability sometimes to find himself in the right spot, everything else he does lacks. He was a disappointment in the playoffs. And pretty average. He sucks on faceoffs. I'd rather find a legitimate number 2 center.

We're nearing the point of what you see is what you get unless he is a much later bloomer.

Last edited:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Five years? He hasn't even played 200 games yet as an NHLer and you're ready to just throw him to the wind for nothing? For a 23 year old that just put up 41 points in his first full NHL season, what do you expect to gain, by a team standpoint, by having him thrown away for nothing?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Laughton will never be Schenn. He just put up a 40 point season (41 in total) and there is no reason he should go down from there, especially when he hasn't hit his prime yet. He just finished his first full season in the NHL (82 games) and just turned 23... there is literally no reason to get rid of him for no one. If we got him for a defenseman, it'd have to be someone that could step in top 3 immediately.

I'd like your crystal ball on Laughton.

He's not far from his pinnacle as a player -- and he's far short of being anything other than an average player in the NHL at best and being given 2C line duties. You need someone better here. He's fallen off a cliff from being the best prospect not in the NHL. I'm begging for him to prove me wrong.

As to Raffl and Akeson -- protecting them doesn't imply they are better or more valuable. That's a leap. Sometimes you don't protect better players for a variety of reasons (age, contract, etc).

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Five years? He hasn't even played 200 games yet as an NHLer and you're ready to just throw him to the wind for nothing? For a 23 year old that just put up 41 points in his first full NHL season, what do you expect to gain, by a team standpoint, by having him thrown away for nothing?

I said I'd rather trade him. I wouldn't shed a tear losing him, which is my hyperbolic point for not including him. Do they not teach hyperbole where you live?

Everyone else is overlooking I completely left almost all of the defense open as well.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
You still haven't explained why you would be fine with just giving him away for free. You don't like him as a player? Fine. But that still doesn't change the fact that it would be utterly stupid not to protect him in a expansion draft scenario.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'd like your crystal ball on Laughton.

He's not far from his pinnacle as a player -- and he's far short of being anything other than an average player in the NHL at best and being given 2C line duties. You need someone better here. He's fallen off a cliff from being the best prospect not in the NHL. I'm begging for him to prove me wrong.

As to Raffl and Akeson -- protecting them doesn't imply they are better or more valuable. That's a leap. Sometimes you don't protect better players for a variety of reasons (age, contract, etc).

I said I'd rather trade him. I wouldn't shed a tear losing him, which is my hyperbolic point for not including him. Do they not teach hyperbole where you live?

Everyone else is overlooking I completely left almost all of the defense open as well.

You still haven't explained why you'd be up for giving him away for nothing.

If we do get rid of Schenn, who do we replace him with? Akeson with less than 10 games under his belt? Raffl who can't score to save his life? Umberger is who past his prime, but still usable? Get rid of both Schenn and Hartnell... and fill the 1LW spot with who?

RJ8812*

ya, but most of our D are crap

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I'm with you. Schenn is undervalued around here. He may not be the guy we thought we were getting, but he is far from a lost cause and certainly not a player on which we should give up. I'd be open to trading Schenn, but I would 100% not leave him unprotected in an expansion draft. Hell he'd probably be the #1 pick if he was.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Dear god do I hope that Schenn has a great year, mostly just to shut people up on here.

People are chanting the word "patience" for the prospects to the point where it's almost going overboard, but a player who's hardly removed from being a prospect doesn't get the same treatment. He's played one single full season, on a line with someone who made everyone worse, and still put up 20 goals. His play is exactly what you'd expect from a young player who just just needs to be more consistent. On top of all that, he's the exact type of player we need on the first line. People still constantly complain about the JVR trade but then some want to do the the exact same thing again, give up on a skilled young player too early.

****ing offseason

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Dear god do I hope that Schenn has a great year, mostly just to shut people up on here.

People are chanting the word "patience" for the prospects to the point where it's almost going overboard, but a player who's hardly removed from being a prospect doesn't get the same treatment. He's played one single full season, on a line with someone who made everyone worse, and still put up 20 goals. His play is exactly what you'd expect from a young player who just just needs to be more consistent. On top of all that, he's the exact type of player we need on the first line. People still constantly complain about the JVR trade but then some want to do the the exact same thing again, give up on a skilled young player too early.

****ing offseason

It's not just the offseason, it's HF mentality as a whole. All first round picks are not only epected to turn into first line forwards, first pair defensemen, etc., but they're also expected to do it within their first 3 or 4 seasons in the NHL, or the pick was a letdown. It's not like it is for these kids in juniors where they go from a 17 year draft eligible player, to an 18 year old very good player, to a 19 year old superstar in the CHL. Development steps in the NHL often take several years to reach for almost every player that isn't a superstar. Another 20/20 campaign wouldn't be a letdown for Schenn next year either. He could very well take another step next summer and become a 30/30 guy in 2015-2016. Or it could just mean that he's a 20/20 guy at the NHL level, which is still a pretty damn good player to have cruising around on your middle six.

I always go back to a guy like Blake Wheeler. It took him four years just to become an NHL'er. Boston gave up on him after 2.5 seasons as a ~.5 PPG player. He goes to Atlanta/Winnipeg and blossoms into a 70 point forward with gamebreaking speed and skill on the wing.

Last edited:

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
You still haven't explained why you'd be up for giving him away for nothing.

If we do get rid of Schenn, who do we replace him with? Akeson with less than 10 games under his belt? Raffl who can't score to save his life? Umberger is who past his prime, but still usable? Get rid of both Schenn and Hartnell... and fill the 1LW spot with who?

Yeah, I did. I said I'm not interested in building a core out of average players. Striking water from a rock comment. Pretty big finger twirl at losing Schenn. I think the blow to the team, while a blow, is less than you'd think. I think our expectations for the Schenn brothers should be tempered.

It is a bad / crazy move, but my hyperbole is to prove a point: Team is constructed poorly. The argument now isn't Schenn is good, but that logistically we don't have a solid replacement. Notice the theme: Team constructed poorly. No suitable replacements by your own opinion, and then a criticism of the bodies behind him.

We may not make the playoffs this season and honestly, there isn't as much worth protecting as you think.

Even the arguments for protecting Schenn aren't the most flattering:

1) He's an asset and you don't want to lose assets for free. (Sure, contingent on if the asset has value)
2) He has value because X, Y, and Z are bad. That's like saying the Denny's waitress is pretty because the only other creatures are a roach, a dog, and the cook. Sure, okay! But still a little weak.

He needs to take big steps this year or I could care less where he lands. After this season and next, it is very likely you will never see a better version of Schenn and the one now isn't good enough. He isn't strong enough defensively, sucks on faceoffs, is average in a lot of key areas. He may actually be better suited for the wing. Perhaps putting him on the wing would up his stock.

Last edited:

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
I am under the impression that players with NTC/NMC would be required to be protected by the team first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad