Who Would We Protect in an Expansion Draft?

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
It seems like a matter of time before another expansion draft is held considering all the recent talks of Las Vegas, Seattle, and Quebec City. In that event, who should the Flyers protect in the draft? There are a couple of guidelines and options to choose from, based on the rules from 2000:

Option 1: Protect 1 goalie, 5 defensemen, and 9 forwards. There is no experience requirement for the goalies left unprotected. One defenseman and two forwards left unprotected must have played at least 40 games in the year before, or 70 games combined over the last 2 years.

Option 2: Protect 2 goalies, 3 defensemen, and 7 forwards. In this scenario, every goalie left unprotected must have played in 10 games the previous season, or 25 games combined over the last 2 years. One defenseman and two forwards left unprotected must have played at least 40 games in the year before, or 70 games combined over the last 2 years.

Read more about who the Flyers should protect: http://thehockeywriters.com/who-would-the-flyers-protect-in-an-expansion-draft/

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
1. Mason

1. Coburn
2. MacD
3. Streit
4. Schenn
5. Del Zotto

1. Giroux
2. Jake
3. Simmonds
4. Couts
5. Schenn
6. Read
7. Umberger
8. Raffl
9. PEB/Laughton

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Yeah, MacD shouldn't be protected. Im not a hater of his like everyone else is, but he's got the 2nd biggest contract on the team behind Giroux, and let's just say he is not the 2nd best player on the team.

EDIT: Btw, are players with NMCs and NTCs automatically protected or are they fair game?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't protect Umberger, his contract isn't the greatest & his play very well could be on a major decline. A buy-out scenario could be potentially done in the final year so avoiding that could have it's benefits.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Forwards:

1. Giroux
2. Voracek
3. Simmonds
4. Couturier
5. Schenn
6. Read
7. Akeson
8. Raffl
9. PEB

Left out: Rinaldo, Lecavalier, Umberger, Ryan White

Defense:

1. Coburn
2. Streit
3. Schenn
4. MacDonald
5. Grossmann

Left out: Timonen, Pronger, Schultz, Del Zotto,

Goalies

1. Mason

Left out: Emery

RJ8812*

Yeah, MacD shouldn't be protected. Im not a hater of his like everyone else is, but he's got the 2nd biggest contract on the team behind Giroux, and let's just say he is not the 2nd best player on the team.

EDIT: Btw, are players with NMCs and NTCs automatically protected or are they fair game?

fair game I think

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd rather keep MacD as overpaid as he is (1-2 mil) then Grossmann. I know his contract is shorter but IMO you protect the guys that make you the best team when all is said and done. I mean if Kimmo were healthy I could see it but otherwise I'd stick with my list.

Edit: If Laughton is safe, which he would be, PEB would the final spot.

RJ8812*

I'd rather keep MacD as overpaid as he is (1-2 mil) then Grossmann. I know his contract is shorter but IMO you protect the guys that make you the best team when all is said and done. I mean if Kimmo were healthy I could see it but otherwise I'd stick with my list.

Also, if Laughton is exempt wouldn't PEB be as well? In which case I don't know who the last spot should be.

no. PEB has already played more than 2 years of pro hockey (Europe)

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Mason

Coburn
Streit or Mac not both

Giroux
Voracek
Simmonds
Read
Couts
Akeson

Let's you know how badly the team is constructed.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
You see Akeson and Raffl as a clear choice to protect over B. Schenn?

I'm pretty low on Schenn atm. I'm low on Akeson as well, but he's a strong playmaker that maybe needs sheltered minutes. I think Schenn will rack up the most frustrating and inconsistent points on the first line as a winger because he'll get plugged there and you will want to throw your remote at the wall. I'm not sure what Schenn is actually good at -- and he's a clear future piece. I'd rather move him or trade him for a legitimate piece. I want consistent players. It amuses me to dangle him in this scenario.

Isn't Raffl protected? The article says so. If he isn't protected, then I would protect Raffl.

RJ8812*

I'm pretty low on Schenn atm. I'm low on Akeson as well, but he's a strong playmaker that maybe needs sheltered minutes. I think Schenn will rack up the most frustrating and inconsistent points on the first line as a winger because he'll get plugged there and you will want to throw your remote at the wall. I'm not sure what Schenn is actually good at -- and he's a clear future piece. I'd rather move him or trade him for a legitimate piece. I want consistent players. It amuses me to dangle him in this scenario.

Isn't Raffl protected? The article says so. If he isn't protected, then I would protect Raffl.

it would be stupid not to protect Schenn

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Schenn would easily get selected in an Expansion Draft, very likely he would even be one of the first players off the board. Then you're without a good asset whether you think he has a future here or not.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Dangle a quality young player in Schenn for what exactly? You lose him for nothing if he's selected.

Giroux
Voracek
Couturier
Simmonds
Read
Raffl
Schenn
PEB
Akeson

- Hope someone is dumb enough to take one of/or both of Lecavalier or Umberger.

Coburn
Streit
MacDonald
Schenn
MDZ

- Honestly, only Coburn and Streit are worth protecting, but I guess you have to designate five players.

Mason

- Obvious.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

That's absurd. I don't even think Beef (this board's biggest Schenn hater) would leave him unprotected.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not protecting Schenn would be just plain stupid, that's not even debatable.

Giroux
Voracek
Simmonds
Couturier
Schenn
Read
Raffl
Akeson
Bellemare

Coburn
Streit
Schenn
MacDonald
Del Zotto

Mason

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Personally, I'd rather protect Rinaldo, Akeson or white than Umberger or Lecavalier, with their contracts off the books that would help tremendously. And Rinaldo and white don't have the term either, it may make us worse right away but it will give us space to make more moves when we are ready to compete.

This is who I would protect

Giroux
Couturier
Voracek
Simmonds
Read
Schenn
Raffl
Akeson
Bellemare

Left: Umberger, Lecavalier, Rinaldo, White

Coburn
Streit
Schenn
MacDonald
Del Zotto

Left: Grossman

Mason

Left: Emery

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Personally, I'd rather protect Rinaldo, Akeson or white than Umberger or Lecavalier, with their contracts off the books that would help tremendously. And Rinaldo and white don't have the term either, it may make us worse right away but it will give us space to make more moves when we are ready to compete

I agree with this. Long term if we could get rid of those contracts for nothing it would be huge. An expansion draft in the salary cap era would be wild. It'd be like the compliance buyouts on steroids.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
Personally, I'd rather protect Rinaldo, Akeson or white than Umberger or Lecavalier, with their contracts off the books that would help tremendously. And Rinaldo and white don't have the term either, it may make us worse right away but it will give us space to make more moves when we are ready to compete.

This is who I would protect

Giroux
Couturier
Voracek
Simmonds
Read
Schenn
Raffl
Akeson
Bellemare

Left: Umberger, Lecavalier, Rinaldo, White

Coburn
Streit
Schenn
MacDonald
Del Zotto

Left: Grossman

Mason

Left: Emery

This is my exact list but I'd leave AMAC unprotected too. I like him well enough just not at that $ and that term.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00