Speculation: Who would be a good value 3C or an older 2C

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Great. So now we bounce Bura to the bottom six to punish him for scoring 25+ goal per season pace to reward the awful Jon Drouin. That makes sense too.

let’s punish good players to unjustly gift an amazing roster spot to a big bust.

Jesus man. Listen to yourself. How about improving your team? Cause hey when you face the Jets this year, we're gonna attack you with more than one line of speed and skill. And you better be ready to match us. I don't think the Avs are that deep on forward, that Burakovsky gets knocked out of the top 6. Kadri is in his last year, getting someone with term, who is potentially a talent upgrade makes sense, especially with good young ELC level centres in the pipeline, unless you are trying to make every possible argument against it, for whatever reason. Especially when the very player you are arguing about being traded has been suspended 3 times in the 1st round of the playoffs. But the kind of guy who I think fits Montreal.

Anyways I don't care that much, to argue about this.

Reactions: viceroy

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
We have absolutely no one trending to replace him. I'd say Monahan is more expendable assuming he gets his shot back before the deadline.

Hence, my comment about the Flames crashing and burning first. If the Flames season goes awry and Gaudreau doesn't re-sign, a rebuild is likely. Which means that 32 year old Backlund should be traded for futures. Probably Monahan too.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If that were the case he would’ve been traded by now.

I agree with the Flames on this one. Flames are not going full rebuild and if they trade Monahan, what is the center depth? Not saying the Habs should get aggressive at trying to acquire, just looking at if from the Flames perspective.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Oh my mistake, I didn’t realize that draft picks have to develop before they are 21.

Again, Dvorak is not an upgrade on 3rd overall+. Chicago selected Dach with their 3rd overall pick the following year, do you think they would trade him for Dvorak who is obviously a better player as of today?
No, your mistake is back peddling...

So now it's Dvorak isn't an upgrade over a 3overall who has potential to be much better, but isn't there yet? It's an upgrade this year, whether the trade would have made sense for the organization or not. They were handcuffed and traded for Dvorak, who is currently a much better play. Rolling Dvorak as their 2c over KK is an upgrade this year whether you like the trade or don't like the trade. The initial post your responded to had the poster just saying they feel better about the 2c spot going into this season. Stop turning this into Dvorak isn't worth a 3rd overall pick. That's not what this is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Getz won't leave Cali
I don't buy it to be honest. Why the one year deal? He re-signed for one year with a NMC to dictate which contender he goes to at the deadline, and for Anaheim to recoup a pick instead of him throwing a dart at the board as UFA in July and Anaheim recovering nothing for a long-term player. As the season lurches towards the trade deadline I think you will hear more and more about it.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
With what’s available right now the Habs should let Poehling/Evans battle it out. I don’t feel like an old Bozak or Staal will be much of an upgrade. Habs are very strong on the wings many of them defensively responsible. That’s a good environment for a young centre to grow

Reactions: Habs Halifax

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I agree with the Flames on this one. Flames are not going full rebuild and if they trade Monahan, what is the center depth? Not saying the Habs should get aggressive at trying to acquire, just looking at if from the Flames perspective.
Lindholm
Backlund
Coleman
Dube

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lindholm
Backlund
Coleman
Dube

I forgot the Flames signed Coleman but isn't he a winger/center type and best to have him on wing? Not sure the Flames will trade Monahan for futures and not get a center back... one that is NHL ready.

I think the Flames stay put at this stage. Trading Monahan and going with two winger/center fringe types is risky. What's the center depth after them? What happens in case there is an injury?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With what’s available right now the Habs should let Poehling/Evans battle it out. I don’t feel like an old Bozak or Staal will be much of an upgrade. Habs are very strong on the wings many of them defensively responsible. That’s a good environment for a young centre to grow

Poehling probably battles for the last spot against Paquette and Perreault. Evans is highly valued by management in a 3C role. Poehling would have to be dominate at both ends to push Evans below him. Poehling needs a transition year from AHL to NHL. He's going to get some games and if anybody gets hurt, he's our center insurance

A little context with Evans.

* Habs were facing the Oilers down the stretch and Danault was rested cause he was dealing with a nagging injury. Ducharme went to Evans, Lehkonen, and Byron in a shutdown role and up against McDavid all night. Every player on that line scored a goal and McDavid was left with no points.

* Ducharme was also getting out coached by Cooper in the finals and decided to go back to that line (once Evans was healthy again after the Scheifele charge). They were used as a 2nd shutdown line and continued to do well against that stacked Tampa team.

Evans has to screw up big time in camp for him not to be the 3C this year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can see the Habs offering Bozak a tryout or league min for one year. That type of depth move. Other than that, we stay put. And knowing Bergevin, he makes weekly calls about Eichel and tells the Sabres to keep the Habs in the loop.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm high on Suzuki and now that we have Dvorak, I feel much better about our 2C, however, there is no such thing as too many decent centers.

We know that Bbinz is an absolute miser with his young core which would be......CC, Suzuki, Romanov, Guhle, Harris, Dvorak.

We can assume that Habs 2023 1st, and several regulars not named Savard, Gally, Price and Petry are available. Besides, they would exceed the value of a 3C. So would Toffoli and Anderson.

So for a 1st and/or Drouin, Poehling, Evans, Struble, Chiarot, Edmumdson, Kulak, Lehkonen, Armia, or some combination of, who could be had as a 3C or better?

And remember, we just got young Dvorak for a 1st and a 3rd. Players like Lehky and Armia alone would have the same value as a lesser 3C.

Conditions...he has to be able to play a hard 200ft game and be at least a 30 point center within a reasonable past.

(Since I don't live on the hockey channel, I don't know who would be a decent center. Thus this post.)

Ryan Strome?
May be a little less defensively gifted than what you’d be targeting, but probably more offensively gifted too. He does PK tho

Sure, one of the players I thought about, but he's on the last year of his contract and the value would be closer to a rental....unless he could be extended.

Needless to say, Ranger fans will want 23 draft choices but realistically, given what Dv went for, he's closer to a very late 1st.

Strome basically fits the bill, not ideal 200 fit game guy but clearly has played well w/first line material, both including and excluding breadman.

Most NYR fans, imo, would be ok with him as late 1st for a rental.
Sure, would be nice to have a sweetener, but while not critical this instant, do need to move on = cap space.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Dude give it a rest, we get that you want everyone to believe that you got an “upgrade” by acquiring Dvorak, while conveniently ignoring that you gave up 3rd overall+ to acquire him.
draft order isn't all that important 4 years in . look at how well yakupov is doing . find something else to harp on .

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I don't know Drouin has a kind of potential that many players don't. A high skill level, and speed to burn. Montreal has been kind of a pressure cooker for him. Put him on a line with Mackinnon and you might have something like you saw with Suzuki in the playoff bubble. Some real dangerous talent. I'd chew on that one if I was Colorado. Kadri's history of being suspended in a first round makes him a real question mark.

Drouin is 26 years old and has almost 400 NHL games on his resume, so you're going to need more than "potential" if you want to sell me on why the Avs want him. And we've already got Landeskog and Rantanen, who are plenty dangerous, so why does MacKinnon need a new linemate?

Kadri also hasn't had any issues with losing his temper in Colorado. He mistimed a hit on a trailing defenseman while trying to make a defensive play and clipped Faulk in the chin instead of putting a shoulder in his chest, and the league decided to make an example out of him. Not seeing the logic in moving him for a more expensive, less productive winger who has played in 71 of the last 126 games.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not many new names arose out of this conversation.

Kadri is the top of my list but the Avs need him too so unlikely to be available.

Strome....good candidate but i thought the Rangers were now trying to move up on the standings.

Getz...i dreamed that Getz and Perry would adopt the Habs and give us a shot. Getz doesn't want to move and Perry moved on. I'm pretty sure Bbinz knocked on Getz door to sign with us....but got the polite no. Who knows though at the trade deadline. Less time commitment.

Bozak hasn't been signed by anyone for a reason. On paper he looks good but, unlike Kadri or Strome, it's a pure one year rental with no future.

To fellow Hab fans...i like Evans/ Poehling and of course i want them to turn out to be diamonds, but i wouldn't bet the season on them.....and the need for back-up.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I will also say Bozak. Staal hasn't been signed yet either.

Maybe try and pry Nate Bastian out of Seattle.
Bastian at C is nit a great idea. Better on the wing and only on the 4th line . Maybe he develops into more but for now him being in the wing is preferred

Jan 21, 2018
Dvorak > Bozak. I'm wasting my time on that conversation and I don't care if your stats checking is accurate or not. Not surprised that you evaluate players with points only after I realized you are a Leafs fan. Typical approach. Who cares about 200' hockey. Lets run and gun! Trying to compare Bozak at age 34 to Dvorak at age 24 is just more evidence.

Leafs should trade Kerfoot for a bag of pucks and sign Bozak! Wait, nobody wants Kerfoot at that cap hit.

3rd overall + additional assets > Dvorak I'm wasting my time on that conversation and I don't care if Dvorak is an upgrade today. Not surprised that you evaluate players without including their upside only after I realized you are a Habs fan. Typical approach. Who cares about developing top prospects. Lets rely on Price and hope for the best! Trying to compare Kotkaniemi at age 21 to Dvorak at age 24 is just more evidence.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
3rd overall + additional assets > Dvorak I'm wasting my time on that conversation and I don't care if Dvorak is an upgrade today. Not surprised that you evaluate players without including their upside only after I realized you are a Habs fan. Typical approach. Who cares about developing top prospects. Lets rely on Price and hope for the best! Trying to compare Kotkaniemi at age 21 to Dvorak at age 24 is just more evidence.

3rd OA was over 3 years ago. It's a disingenuous spin. Most would agree that KK after last season and 3 NHL seasons was not 3rd OA value anymore. You know this but you got your mind stuck on something that is flawed.

You traded the 7th OA for Barrie who walked and Kerfoot who is in almost every Leafs trade offer. Dvorak > Kerfoot. I can play your game

Jan 21, 2018
3rd OA was over 3 years ago. It's a disingenuous spin. Most would agree that KK after last season and 3 NHL seasons was not 3rd OA value anymore. You know this but you got your mind stuck on something that is flawed.

You traded the 7th OA for Barrie who walked and Kerfoot who is in almost every Leafs trade offer. Dvorak > Kerfoot.

No matter how much you want to pretend like I’m wrong, you can’t deny that Bozak is a FREE ASSET that put up similar points/game as Dvorak did last season, and you paid 3rd overall+ to land him. Based on that logic, Bozak should be a good fit with the Habs, since he can produce similarly offensively as your #2C, and again, he is FREE.

Since you decided to change the subject and make an irrelevant post about the Leafs, i’m going to assume you’re just here to troll and not contribute meaningful discussion. I’ll take that as my queue to exit this thread, enjoy!

EDIT: Make that two posts in the row that you can’t stop talking about the Leafs. Pretty clear you’ve run out of things to say, what a surprise!

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that anyone talking about Kk or Dvorak is baiting/trolling so please ignore.

The conversation is about trading for a 3C/2C.

Any new names or options out there?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Hence, my comment about the Flames crashing and burning first. If the Flames season goes awry and Gaudreau doesn't re-sign, a rebuild is likely. Which means that 32 year old Backlund should be traded for futures. Probably Monahan too.

Even if they do crash and burn. Half our team is young and wouldn't be traded. Trading the one guy that can handle the defensive duties will hurt development.

Like trade Monahan and we won't score as much but it's nothing like putting Dube out against McDavid and saying good luck haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad