NHL Who Wore It Best - #4 - The winner annouced in Post #31

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NHL.com has been doing an ongoing podcast on what player wore a number best but Pierre McGuire last week on his Montreal show that the winner of #4 is in doubt and it will be decided tomorrow for airing next week.

Obviously we at HF Bruins are biased but Jean's resume is so solid Bobby himself might vote for him.

upload_2020-6-3_8-53-54.png

Even old-time Bruins fans like myself could never hate him even though he inflicted so much pain on our team especially in the playoffs.

Reactions: GordonHowe

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
He and Saku Koivu are the only Habs I've ever respected. Not only were they excellent players they were/are good people.

If Bobby Orr has to lose I can live with him losing to Jean Beliveau. I won't like it but I can live with it.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
He and Saku Koivu are the only Habs I've ever respected. Not only were they excellent players they were/are good people.

If Bobby Orr has to lose I can live with him losing to Jean Beliveau. I won't like it but I can live with it.

I fully understand why the panel voting on this is torn and it well might come to the length of careers for both players.

As far as Koivu is concerned this is all you need to know

How Did The Saku Koivu Foundation Start?: On September 6, 2001, Saku Koivu was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma as training camps were underway across the NHL. Koivu was en route to Montreal from Finland with friend and teammate Brian Savage, who had said he looked very pale. Koivu's symptoms worsened as he was experiencing stomach pain and nausea. After seeing the Canadiens' team doctor, Dr. David Mulder, for some tests, it was suspected that the Canadiens star had cancer. The only problem? He had to travel to Sherbrooke, Quebec for a Positron Emission Tomography (PET) test as there were no PET machines in Montreal.

Koivu battled cancer, and eventually defeated the disease after a long struggle through the 2001-02 NHL season. On November 13, 2002, Koivu announced that he was creating the Saku Koivu Foundation, in association with the Montreal General Hospital Foundation, to raise $8 million for a PET/CT scanning machine for the Montreal hospital. With this machine, early detection of tumours is possible, and determining the most effective treatment can begin before the cancer can spread. Essentially, this machine will not only save lives, but possibly reduce the amount of time spent in hospitals by patients as doctors can effectively begin treatments as soon as any sort of detection occurs.

With the work that is went into raising money for this machine through the Saku Koivu Foundation, the Montreal General Hospital Foundation was able to buy a PET Scanner.

Reactions: BMC

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
NHL.com has been doing an ongoing podcast on what player wore a number best but Pierre McGuire last week on his Montreal show that the winner of #4 is in doubt and it will be decided tomorrow for airing next week.

Obviously we at HF Bruins are biased but Jean's resume is so solid Bobby himself might vote for him.

View attachment 348669

Even old-time Bruins fans like myself could never hate him even though he inflicted so much pain on our team especially in the playoffs.

10x Cup winner just amazes me. Unreal.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Jean Beliveau had a better career than Orr. Orr was simply the best hockey player ever.

Both absolute top shelf individuals.

Believe just exuded class, that may make the difference in the vague "wore it best" category.
I am a HUGE Bruins fan and loved Bobby Orr, have met him before, was my child hood idol.
I would never call Bobby Orr the greatest player ever.
There have been many great players in the NHL and believe you need to talk about them in the ERA they played.
Orr was the greatest defenceman to ever play, hand down, however, I reserve my comments and say he was the greatest player to play hockey in the 70's.
Gretzky was the best in the 80's close second was Mario then there was Sid the kid and now McD.
All are GREAT.
Any athlete that won 17 championships and was a great role model and class of the league, like " Le Gros Bill" gets my vote over Orr in the " wore it best category"

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I am a HUGE Bruins fan and loved Bobby Orr, have met him before, was my child hood idol.
I would never call Bobby Orr the greatest player ever.
There have been many great players in the NHL and believe you need to talk about them in the ERA they played.
Orr was the greatest defenceman to ever play, hand down, however, I reserve my comments and say he was the greatest player to play hockey in the 70's.
Gretzky was the best in the 80's close second was Mario then there was Sid the kid and now McD.
All are GREAT.
Any athlete that won 17 championships and was a great role model and class of the league, like " Le Gros Bill" gets my vote over Orr in the " wore it best category"

That's fine. Most hockey fans would agree.

But I don't.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I was trying to figure out if there are final results for other numbers. #19 should be a good one. Trottier, Sakic, Yzerman, and Robinson should all have a shot.

aguineapig

I never hated Jean Beliveau the man, but I did the Hab he played on TV. But even if Bobby only played one season, the 69-70 is the one I have in mind, he would still be the greatest ever. I would argue it would be the greatest season of any athlete I ever witnessed. He won the Art Ross, Hart, Norris and Conn Smythe in dominating fashion. He transformed not only how the position of defence was played, but the game itself. And in his honor rinks were built from coast to coast and brought the game to countless fans across the USA. Many went on to the college ranks, Olympics such as the Miracle on Ice and the NHL itself. So even if it was a small sample, his stamp on the game is unparalleled. That is my Number 4's legacy. So call me a Homer, call me Jack Edwards, call me late for supper, but to me there is but one choice. Number 4, Bobby Orr! 4 Ever, 4 Always, 4 Certain.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
To me the only players you can realistically debate over Orr are Gretzky and Howe.

For as much as we love Orr, and he really was the best to ever play the game (when he played), but longevity is a thing. That being said, he was so unbelievably dominant when he played that literally no one other than those two can compare to how much he impacted the game in those 9 consecutive seasons to start his career (and specifically his 4th-9th). For the record, I'd still have him ahead of Howe, I just think it's a reasonable thing to argue Howe over Orr.

Lemieux suffers from the same longevity arguments, but I've never understood people taking Lemieux over Orr to be honest.

Just going over to the HOH board, in their most recent rankings, nobody had Beliveau over Orr on their ballot.

Last edited:

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Scott Stevens looked pretty nice in that 4 as well :)

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Christ, no comparison.
Sheesh, it was just playful banter

Its unfortunate though that my favorite player ever cant even contest for his numbers best all time. Also my lucky number. Damn single digits

Id go Orr btw

BruinsNetwork

Beliveau had a better, longer, more fortunate career than Orr.

Orr revolutionized the way defensemen play this game and paved the way for the modern-day defenders we’re watching in the NHL right now.

Reactions: bbfan419

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
He won 10 cups with stacked Habs team in a six team league, when you look at in in that context, it's not quite as amazing as it appears. Having to win only 2 playoff series to win the cup is nowhere near the grind that it takes in the modern era to hoist the cup.

I understand your point, but playing through the holding, hooking, slashing, headshots, interference and fighting that were common in that era actually made it very much of a grind.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

View attachment 348669

Number Four, Bobby Orr.

Though I remain a huge fan of Jean.

Two of the greatest, and most distinguished ever to play the game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad