Who won the Casey Mittelstadt - Bowen Byram trade?

Who won the Bowen Byram - Casey Mittelstadt trade?

• Buffalo

Votes: 108 33.3%
  • Colorado

Votes: 106 32.7%
  • Even

Votes: 110 34.0%

• Total voters

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Seen some differing opinions on this one, so I figured I'd poll the hfboards world as a whole. Obviously both are young players and who knows how this will look in 5 years - but knowing what we know now, who won the trade?

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
even. its a win right now for colorado but i suspect byram will develop well in buffalo and turn into a key piece.

Colorado found their replacement for Kadri. Maybe it's even but the optics look better for the Avs IMO. They're all in. Three Cups in two years would be impressive. MacK is on a mission this year.
some would even say impossible

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Depends on which way you look at it. Byram might become the better player of the two. Colorado addressed a severe roster deficiency, by dealing a player from a position of strength. Roster construction wise, it's a bit puzzling for Buffalo.

Right now, I'm saying it's a Colorado win. That doesn't mean it's a Buffalo loss.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'll call it even just on the talent/projected talent of the players, but Bowen's concussion history really makes it a loss for Buffalo.

Reactions: Kcb12345

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I feel like a 3rd or 4th going to Buffalo would have made it look a bit better- Colorado is getting the best fit for what they need and shedding some risk, I really can’t imagine Adams didn’t have some leverage to ask for just a bit more.

Too early to tell on winner/loser though. For now it’s Colorado if Mitts does anything in the playoffs (he will), but Byram is at at 82g 82a pace with the Sabres. That’s also good. Seriously tho, depends what he becomes and what deals they both end up on.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It was an interesting hockey deal. I like it more for Colorado though because they added an immediate need, and Byram hasn’t taken off after his great cup final performance a couple years ago. I think Byram has more potential, but it’s also an odd fit in Buffalo as they already have Power and Samuelson on the left side, and Dahlin is a lefty playing his off side. Their 4 best blueliners are all lefties which isn’t ideal

Reactions: obZen

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think Colorado did.

Buffalo got a dman that had serious injury discussions that too long ago and it was somewhat speculated it could be the end of his career.

Whether he was close, or not I don't know, but he did take a leave of absence from the team because of the concussions.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Pretty even imo, slight davour to Colorado since Mittekstadt is a more finished product.

But Byram has a lot of potential. Wasnt he played as much or more than Makar during rhe Finals when Avs won the Cup? Not saying he was better than Makar, but he's shown he can play on the biggest stage.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Pretty even imo, slight davour to Colorado since Mittekstadt is a more finished product.

But Byram has a lot of potential. Wasnt he played as much or more than Makar during rhe Finals when Avs won the Cup? Not saying he was better than Makar, but he's shown he can play on the biggest stage.
something the Sabres know nothing about soooooo

Reactions: abo9

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think Byram has the higher potential. I also think Buffalo has a ton of forward prospects. Byram having the summer off might be good for him. But he could flop on the Sabres too.

But Middlestadt is stepping into a better situation. He will be good in Colorado because its a winning organization.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Id say pretty even. Imo Byram definitely has more potential. Fully believe he could be a top 5 defensemen in the league

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Why Colorado win- they are in win now mode, their team gets better right now. They are deeper at D then top 6 centres, it's a good hockey trade.

Why Buffalo win- they sell high on their best performing centre this season who their management don't see as their 1/2 C long term, get younger talent in Byram who arguably has higher upside. Byram whoss development has been hindered by injuries has shown flashes but not yet lived up to his potential.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad