Who won the Anisimov-Saad trade?

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
...I live in chicago. Its great to visit, mediocre to live in, including the "nice parts."

Yeah I'm gonna call BS

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=105853237&postcount=247

NotYou said:
Those places, except Colombus, have other big 4 teams and everyone knows Columbus via Ohio state. Among other differences someone else mentioned. I'll also add that people I know generally like Canadian teams. But then again I live in Minnesota

What's with people in this thread just blatantly making things up to try and trash the city of Chicago? At least this guy is somewhat understandable because he's a fan of a division rival team.

emeyezee

Jul 1, 2015
Hahahaha ^^^^ not surprised. If people don't like the city of Chicago, then stay away. There's no need to teach people who refuse to learn.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yeah I'm gonna call BS

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=105853237&postcount=247

What's with people in this thread just blatantly making things up to try and trash the city of Chicago? At least this guy is somewhat understandable because he's a fan of a division rival team.
Yep... and this ladies and gentlemen is a textbook example of "fake news."

Chicago is world class. Great restaurants, housing, entertainment, museums, culture, and night life. All at a cost that normal people can afford as well. Gotta :laugh: at all the hate the city is getting from people that don't know the first thing about it.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
its almost like people move

What neighborhood do you live in and how did you come to the conclusion that the good neighborhoods are not a good place to live? Specifically, what do you think is lacking that say... Minnesota has to offer?

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
its almost like people move

Let me guess, you conviently moved about a month or two after that post? Regardless, if you actually "moved", you've probably been here a year or less. You've said the burbs suck and the city is mediocre to live in, even in the good neighborhoods. How could you have possibly come to that conclusion and lived in that many Chicago neighborhoods when in late 2015 you were still in Minnesota? Regardless of if you moved or not, your story isn't plausible.

Can you explain what makes it great to visit but mediocre to live in? I'm dying to hear what another "fellow Chicago resident" has to say!!

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
I already have in this thread.

Just give it up man. People who have actually lived in/visited Chicago are unanimously telling you you're wrong. Maybe you have been here and legitimately feared for your life. If that's the case, maybe you should stick to tiny little cow-towns full of people who look like you.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Just give it up man. People who have actually lived in/visited Chicago are unanimously telling you you're wrong. Maybe you have been here and legitimately feared for your life. If that's the case, maybe you should stick to tiny little cow-towns full of people who look like you.

I know. People in their own cities though are not good people to seek opinions. No one can admit their own city has issues. All the statistics tell us there are major crime issues there. I find it odd anyone is denying it.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure why the city of Chicago is mentioned as a reason why someone won/lost a trade, but I visited Chicago for two days for the NFL draft and I never felt like I was in danger. It was a great city, I had a blast. Like all cities you have to be aware of your surroundings.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Not sure why the city of Chicago is mentioned as a reason why someone won/lost a trade, but I visited Chicago for two days for the NFL draft and I never felt like I was in danger. It was a great city, I had a blast. Like all cities you have to be aware of your surroundings.

People just like to argue. What has been completely swept under the rug is in my original post I stated what a great city Chicago was to visit.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Saad (top line forward)

for

Anisimov (finally a 2C for Kane)
Dano (trade chip for Ladd, protecting Hartman/Schmaltz)
Morin (flipped for ~35 point winger Panik)
Roster spot in top 6 enticing Panarin to sign

Both teams won.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
I know. People in their own cities though are not good people to seek opinions. No one can admit their own city has issues. All the statistics tell us there are major crime issues there. I find it odd anyone is denying it.

Yeah, there are some pockets of our city that have way too much violent crime. What you ignore, is that violent crime in Chicago is not as bad as many major U.S. cities. Here is a list of cities with more murders per-capita in the U.S.

St. Louis
Detroit
New Orleans
Baltimore
Newark
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Memphis
Atlanta
Cincinnati
Oakland
Miami
Kansas City
Stockton
Cleveland
Philly
Washington D.C.
Indianapolis
AND FINALLY
Chicago

These are based on murders per 100,000 people. Admittedly, I couldn;t find reliable information more recent than 2014. But if you look up murders in U.S. per capita, no reliable list has Chicago in the top 10.

So basically, your facts were fed to you by an orange troll.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You're the one who implied that players wouldn't want to sign here because of rampant crime. Where is the evidence for that?

As for our crime numbers, yeah, there are some pockets of our city that have way too much violent crime. What you ignore, is that violent crime in Chicago is not as bad as many major U.S. cities. Here is a list of cities with more murders per-capita in the U.S.

St. Louis
Detroit
New Orleans
Baltimore
Newark
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Memphis
Atlanta
Cincinnati
Oakland
Miami
Kansas City
Stockton
Cleveland
Philly
Washington D.C.
Indianapolis
AND FINALLY
Chicago

These are based on murders per 100,000 people. Admittedly, I couldn;t find reliable information more recent than 2014. But if you look up murders in U.S. per capita, no reliable list has Chicago in the top 10.

So basically, your facts were fed to you by an orange troll.

Never happened. 100% false.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Saad (top line forward)

for

Anisimov (finally a 2C for Kane)
Dano (trade chip for Ladd, protecting Hartman/Schmaltz)
Morin (flipped for ~35 point winger Panik)
Roster spot in top 6 enticing Panarin to sign

Both teams won.

Haha, you don't count "roster space" as a plus when you're as thin as the Hawks. The deal was supposed to provide multiple top six pieces in Anisimov and Dano, the roster needed thickening not thinning.

You're also throwing in Panik here - a bit cheap considering both he and Morin were waiver fodder at the time.

And most importantly you're leaving out that Dano was supposed to be a winger for Toews. Now he's listed as a "trade chip" but at the time this was as much the Dano - Saad trade as the Anisimov trade. Go back and look.

And of course Panarin was signed before the trade.

The whole thing just smacks of rewriting history in a more positive way. You are right that Anisimov is a good 2C, but that only partly makes up for losing Saad.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
People just like to argue. What has been completely swept under the rug is in my original post I stated what a great city Chicago was to visit.

It's the same thing with Detroit. NHL players live in the nice areas/suburbs (and every NHL city has nice areas/suburbs). They don't go to the bad areas.

There's nothing to do in city X? You can be sure there is if you make $1,000,000.
There's a ton of crime in city X? You can be sure there is not if you make $1,000,000.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Haha, you don't count "roster space" as a plus when you're as thin as the Hawks. The deal was supposed to provide multiple top six pieces in Anisimov and Dano, the roster needed thickening not thinning.

You're also throwing in Panik here - a bit cheap considering both he and Morin were waiver fodder at the time.

And most importantly you're leaving out that Dano was supposed to be a winger for Toews. Now he's listed as a "trade chip" but at the time this was as much the Dano - Saad trade as the Anisimov trade. Go back and look.

And of course Panarin was signed before the trade.

The whole thing just smacks of rewriting history in a more positive way. You are right that Anisimov is a good 2C, but that only partly makes up for losing Saad.

...are we supposed to only judge it by the way people judged something immediately and not account for results?

If you are judging who is doing better off from it or whatever it is you conclude winning to mean, results regardless of how x was viewed at the time should all be that matters. Expectations don't mean as much as results.

but the idea of judging winning out of cap space impacted trades is always weird. It's weird because what really would be the judgement for the team saving capspace is what alternative options and results that could of been from those choices the GM had. Like if they let Saad get a more than 6 mil OfferSheet or had some other potential trade offer or took the same trade but with Kirby Rychel instead of Dano.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Columbus won, folks. Columbus are winners. They've been doing so much winning, they're almost getting bored of winning.

Vacheron

Dec 11, 2016

Statistics are meaningless without analysis. The violence issue is unlikely to affect you unless you are affiliated with a gang or messing around in places you shouldn't.

Chicago is incredible, and I live far, far away from it.

Columbus won the Saad/AA trade. Three cups mean the blackhawks are going to struggle to win trades. So much money (admittedly, some of it pretty bad)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Big problem with these threads about trade winners and losers is that trades are almost never made in a vacuum.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My argument is that the results could have been a lot better. Here's one counterfactual - and I'll leave out obvious hindsight cases that would have seen lesser $ offered to Seabrook and Toews.

Sign Saad to an RFA deal at ~$4.25m per - the leaks at the time of the negotiation had the Hawks never going above $3m, and Saad's camp around $4m.

Dump Sharp and Oduya for zero salary. (This means no Scuderi either). If you've got cap issues don't bother with mediocre players in return.

Trade Kruger for a bottom six C on an affordable RFA deal. The Hawks could have made only a modest downgrade and saved two million. Kruger would have returned a very good player.

Sign Frans Nielsen to the Arty deal. I obviously don't know for sure but I suspect Nielsen would have given a slight discount to end up with a team at the opposite end of the standings. I think he's long been very underrated and he's better than Anisimov.

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Panarin - Nielsen - Kane

Absolutely lethal.

And guess what? You can still acquire Panik for a 4th rounder! If Bowman was targeting him he could have had him either way.

If you want a more stripped down counterfactual, the important thing is that they could have signed Saad for the same price they paid Anisimov. Then add up the temporary cuts you need to make to get through the year in between - I could be wrong but I think the cap overages could have been kept down to a possible level by not taking on Garbutt and Daley.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
My argument is that the results could have been a lot better. Here's one counterfactual - and I'll leave out obvious hindsight cases that would have seen lesser $ offered to Seabrook and Toews.

Sign Saad to an RFA deal at ~$4.25m per - the leaks at the time of the negotiation had the Hawks never going above $3m, and Saad's camp around $4m.

Dump Sharp and Oduya for zero salary. (This means no Scuderi either). If you've got cap issues don't bother with mediocre players in return.

Trade Kruger for a bottom six C on an affordable RFA deal. The Hawks could have made only a modest downgrade and saved two million. Kruger would have returned a very good player.

Sign Frans Nielsen to the Arty deal. I obviously don't know for sure but I suspect Nielsen would have given a slight discount to end up with a team at the opposite end of the standings. I think he's long been very underrated and he's better than Anisimov.

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Panarin - Nielsen - Kane

Absolutely lethal.

And guess what? You can still acquire Panik for a 4th rounder! If Bowman was targeting him he could have had him either way.

If you want a more stripped down counterfactual, the important thing is that they could have signed Saad for the same price they paid Anisimov. Then add up the temporary cuts you need to make to get through the year in between - I could be wrong but I think the cap overages could have been kept down to a possible level by not taking on Garbutt and Daley.

:laugh:

The Blackhawks wanted Saad at 4.5 million but ended up offering as high as 5 million before making the call to Columbus, he and his agent turned it down.

With enough runway, they probably hammer him down to 5 million, but they were worried about an offer sheet and there were even some rumblings that Columbus called them the day before to tell Bowman flat out they were going to send an offer sheet, so they might want to talk trade now to get NHL ready pieces back instead of picks.

This was all reported in the immediate aftermath of the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad