Who won the Anisimov-Saad trade?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Saad was never going to sign for that low. His agent knew what he was capable of getting and made sure his client got paid. And I hold zero animosity over it. It's a business. But we gotta be using some serious "alternative facts" to think Saad was willing to sign a $4.25 million per year extension

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Yeah if Saad would have signed for 4.25mil he would be a Blackhawk right now. There's no way Stan would walk away from that and then trade him for Anismov... who he signed for more than that 4.25 million the next day. Saad and his agent played hardball and got what they wanted. Columbus got what they wanted in Saad. The Hawks got the 2c they had been looking for (and targeting) for years. One of those rare win-win-win situations.

The grass is always greener in fantasy world though.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Forgive me I'm just basing it on the reporting I can find through googling. All the articles I found said $4m. But you're right some source came out after the trade saying north of $5m. That's still preferable to Anisimov at $4.5m in my book.

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
Forgive me I'm just basing it on the reporting I can find through googling. All the articles I found said $4m. But you're right some source came out after the trade saying north of $5m. That's still preferable to Anisimov at $4.5m in my book.

Anismov is a nobody if hes not with Kane/Panarin

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Anismov is a nobody if hes not with Kane/Panarin

That's funny, he was a 40 pt player before them and he was a 40 pt player with them.

Meanwhile Kane's totals exploded next to Anisimov.

I don't think he's anything but the third best on his line, but your statement (that many people make) strikes me as odd.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
It would have been nice if Saad took the bridge deal but it was also nice to solidify the 2C spot. No more plug and play with over the hill vets for Kane and his numbers have gone to another level as a result.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think the answer is Patrick Kane and Panarin won this trade.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Most people forget that at the time of this trade the only significant piece the CBJ gave up was Dano.

Anisimov was a good player, but he was being pushed out of the line up.

Johansen, Dubinsky, Wennberg (rookie, but impressing), Karlsson, Gregory Campbell.

CBJ had too many centers and had to move one. Anisimov was paid too much to be a 3rd line center especially with Wennberg and Karlsson progressing.

Everyone knew Anisimov needed to be moved. Morin and Tropp were extra forwards on a team dealing with a lot on injuries. They were really just waiver wire players. Dano was the only part of this trade Jarmo didn't really want to trade, but he was getting a player like Saad back. Everyone wants to talk about how Chicago made the move for reasons other than just the players, but so did the CBJ. Turned quantity into quality. :handclap:

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
...I live in chicago. Its great to visit, mediocre to live in, including the "nice parts."

What's a good or great place to live in in your opinion?

Everyone has different tastes. If you love big cities though, I can't see how anyone could say mediocre. But who knows, maybe big cities aren't your thing.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
The crime and murder rate in Chicago is shocking. That alone hurts the quality of the city.
Is that really talking out of my ass?

It definitely is when you aren't putting context into it. Is it a problem for the areas affected? It sure is. Is a problem for most people living there? No it is not. Of course that's part of the reason why it hasn't been solved yet because for most people in Chicago, it doesn't affect them. That alone should tell you how safe it is for the average person.

All you have to do is go there to see it for yourself. It's pretty segregated in that sense in terms of money and race.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I think it's great to visit. But it has major issues which keeps it from being top American city imo.

Sorry, you can't take issue with someone calling out the crime issues in Chicago.
It's a terrible situation. Not as dire as Trump claims, but it's the worst city with crime by far in the U.S or Canada.

I already stated it's a terrific city to visit.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/04/01/murders-shootings-soar-chicago-through-first-three-months-2016/82507210/

You're literally comparing the safest big city in N.America to the least safe.
Toronto is the safest large city you'll find on the continent.

Safest city in North America.
Please stick to hockey. You're great at that fever, but Chicago has been a global city for years and long, long before Toronto (where I am from too)
Chicago is a perfectly safe city 24 hours of the day unless you choose for it not to be.
Agreed.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It definitely is when you aren't putting context into it. Is it a problem for the areas affected? It sure is. Is a problem for most people living there? No it is not. Of course that's part of the reason why it hasn't been solved yet because for most people in Chicago, it doesn't affect them. That alone should tell you how safe it is for the average person.

All you have to do is go there to see it for yourself. It's pretty segregated in that sense in terms of money and race.

Yes. Big reason New York made such a big push (and ultimately successful) to tackle crime in the 90s is because problems with crime were spreading throughout the entire city. In Chicago, it's so pocketed that most people don't even realize that it's going on. That's a problem for politicians no doubt, but not something that would diminish the city for a millionaire athlete (or even regular middle class Joes like most of us that post here). If LeafFever is serious about discussing the crime in the city (and not just parroting President Trump) he should feel free to pm me and I can share my thoughts on the issue so as to not derail the thread.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Until his recent slump, Saad led the league with an astounding 3.5 P/60 and was first or second in the league in ES points. He's still near the top, tied with McDavid in P/60.

Saad is not needed on the top PP unit, so his raw point totals are somewhat misleading as to how much he tilted the ice at ES in the first half of the year.

Despite his (truly horrendous) slump, he has 31 ES points. Kane leads the Hawks with 32.

I see a lot of excuses. Consistency is part of the game. And call me when PP points are worth less than ES points. This new HF obsession with ES points is as hilarious as the ones before. It's a smple fact that he is not the top scoring forward on his team, but the guy with the biggest contract, so...

He is underperforming for now. Quite some years left on his contract. He might explode with PPG season after PPG season. We shall see. For now Chicago is by no means on the losing side of the trade.

El Gato Bodegero

Oct 22, 2008
Mexico City
Anisimov is having his best year after a very good year with the blackhawks when everyone was expecting disaster at 4.5mil and said he was way overpaid.

It's still to early to tell but one thing is sure and it is that the Anisimov Line last year was one of the best and that Kane never had a season as good as last years.

Anisimov is having his best year in NHL.

As good as Saad can be and he's one of my favorite players so far it has been a win-win for both teams.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I see a lot of excuses. Consistency is part of the game. And call me when PP points are worth less than ES points. This new HF obsession with ES points is as hilarious as the ones before. It's a smple fact that he is not the top scoring forward on his team, but the guy with the biggest contract, so...

He is underperforming for now. Quite some years left on his contract. He might explode with PPG season after PPG season. We shall see. For now Chicago is by no means on the losing side of the trade.

Excuses? You think Saad needs to be excused for having one of the highest point scoring rates in the league? What a bizarre line of thought.

Production is worth the same 5 on 5 and PP. The reason people go on about 5 on 5 P/60 is because it's more predictive of the players long run contribution. PP production goes up and down, especially when the minutes and combinations change.

If the Jackets PP was bad now and we needed Saad for it, it would be a problem for the team - but for now, dominating 5 on 5 is exactly what the team needs from him.

Saad is overperforming not underperforming. There isn't a player on the Blackhawks, for example, even close to his P/60.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
Saad - Toews - Hossa
Panarin - Nielsen - Kane

Absolutely lethal.

And guess what? You can still acquire Panik for a 4th rounder! If Bowman was targeting him he could have had him either way.
Would Panarin come to Chicago without an assurance that they would get another Russian-speaking player? If he did, how would he perform without being able to communicate with anyone, including his center? These deals do not happen in a vaccum. A lot of thought usually goes into what happens. Bowman wanted Anisimov for a reason.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Excuses? You think Saad needs to be excused for having one of the highest point scoring rates in the league? What a bizarre line of thought.

Production is worth the same 5 on 5 and PP. The reason people go on about 5 on 5 P/60 is because it's more predictive of the players long run contribution. PP production goes up and down, especially when the minutes and combinations change.

If the Jackets PP was bad now and we needed Saad for it, it would be a problem for the team - but for now, dominating 5 on 5 is exactly what the team needs from him.

Saad is overperforming not underperforming. There isn't a player on the Blackhawks, for example, even close to his P/60.

You are delusional about what point production is. Or maybe you need an argument to defend a player you like that much. Either way if he is overperforming then he is definitely not worth the money he gets.

And the Hawks are contenders. Why? Because they got the right players in that trade. Is Saad that crucial to CBJ. Iguess not.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
The whole trade was:

Artem Anisimov, Marko Dano, Jeremy Morin, Corey Tropp and a 4th in 2016 (moved down a few spots and selected Lucas Carlsson and got a 6th in 2017 from the Islanders for that) to Chicago

Brandon Saad, Alex Broadhurst and Michael Paliotta to Columbus

Apparently, i'm an idiot. I thought Panarin's rights were part of this trade....

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Saad was never going to sign for that low. His agent knew what he was capable of getting and made sure his client got paid. And I hold zero animosity over it. It's a business. But we gotta be using some serious "alternative facts" to think Saad was willing to sign a $4.25 million per year extension

Agreed. We got great production out of him on his ELC and it helped us win two cups. But Anisimov ended up being a great fit and the long term answer to the #2 C role which basically has had a different person each championship year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Who has had more impact on their team? Given the position that the Jackets are in this year, I'd say Saad probably helped them more than Anisimov.

Saad is 4th on his team in points, 3rd in goals.
Anisimov is 3rd on his team in points, 1st in goals.

So I wouldn't say that at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad