1. Matthews - 56 goals
2. Ovechkin - 47 goals.
3. Kucherov - 43 goals
4. Crosby - 41 goals
5. McDavid - 40 goals

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don't find this to be true. He didn't really pace himself this year and still led the playoffs in goals while collecting 27 points. If anything hes going to have more fun and be more motivated than ever now that he's got that monkey off his back.

I think the point was his off-season of recovery is considerably shorter this time

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Ovechkin is still the favourite, but Laine and Matthews are good picks as well. I think it will depend a lot on whether Laine gets more ES time and plays with either Scheifele or Stastny if they can keep him, instead of Little, or whether Matthews gets a prominent role on the first PP unit

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think this was Ovechkin's last great hurrah before he starts to settle into more of a supporting role. I predict that he'll get 35 goals next year.

Laine is the front runner... should get 50 - 55. However, my bold prediction for this thread is that his greatest threat for the Richard Trophy will be Mark Scheifele, who will score in the regular season like he did in these past playoffs.

Reactions: libertarian

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I think this was Ovechkin's last great hurrah before he starts to settle into more of a supporting role. I predict that he'll get 35 goals next year.

Laine is the front runner... should get 50 - 55. However, my bold prediction for this thread is that his greatest threat for the Richard Trophy will be Mark Scheifele, who will score in the regular season like he did in these past playoffs.
Regardless of age, Ovi has been a ~ 50 goal scorer 5 of the last 6 years (adjusting for the half-lockout), with last year being a slump. Laine has averaged 40 goals the last 2 years (very impressive given his age), but c'mon, Scheifele is a low 30 goal scorer.

Somehow Laine 'should' get 50-55? And Scheifele might score 60%+ more goals than he ever has in a season to win the rocket?

For the record, my guess is:
1) Ovechkin - 47
2) Laine- 46
3) Kucherov - 44
4) Matthews -44

Ovechkin has 1 last heavy hitting season in him, Laine comes close but misses out just barely due to a few missed games in the season, Matthews stays healthy all season.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Regardless of age, Ovi has been a ~ 50 goal scorer 5 of the last 6 years (adjusting for the half-lockout), with last year being a slump. Laine has averaged 40 goals the last 2 years (very impressive given his age), but c'mon, Scheifele is a low 30 goal scorer.

Somehow Laine 'should' get 50-55? And Scheifele might score 60%+ more goals than he ever has in a season to win the rocket?

For the record, my guess is:
1) Ovechkin - 47
2) Laine- 46
3) Kucherov - 44
4) Matthews -44

Ovechkin has 1 last heavy hitting season in him, Laine comes close but misses out just barely due to a few missed games in the season, Matthews stays healthy all season.
Um, that's why it's a "bold" prediction. Scheifele has been a 32 - 33 goal scorer each of the last three seasons (allowing for missed games), and he scored 14 goals in 17 games this past playoffs. Given those numbers and his age of 25, it is not out of the question for him to have a breakout season in terms of goals next year... especially with Blake Wheeler on his wing. However, I will alter my prediction somewhat in that I don't think that both Laine and Scheifele will score over 50 during the same season. It's not the 1980's.

I had predicted two years ago that Scheifele would score 40... perhaps he can do even better.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I think McDavid will push this year, each year hes improved this aspect of his game, will be on a bounce back team and with RNH who can dish it just as well as he can shoot it.

I see it as a 4 horse race between McDavid, Ovi, Laine and Matthews.

Reactions: A91 and Hippasus

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I made a homer pick with Laine, more so if he plays with Schiefele all year. However, it could just as easily be any of the usual suspects (Ovi, Crosby, Matthews) as weall.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Laine with 85+ if PoMo puts him w 55. 60-65g if he has to play with Little again. 29 has never had a full off season training. He is so raw still, but with the help of best FIN trainer Ratatula I would be shocked if Laine didn't set a new single season goal record next year.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Um, that's why it's a "bold" prediction. Scheifele has been a 32 - 33 goal scorer each of the last three seasons (allowing for missed games), and he scored 14 goals in 17 games this past season. Given those numbers and his age of 25, it is not out of the question for him to have a breakout season in terms of goals next year... especially with Blake Wheeler on his wing. However, I will alter my prediction somewhat in that I don't think that both Laine and Scheifele will score over 50 during the same season. It's not the 1980's.

I had predicted two years ago that Scheifele would score 40... perhaps he can do even better.
For sure I could see Scheifele putting up 40 with the talent he has, I was just taking it from the view that if Laine was a 'lock' for 50+, Scheifele would have to put up 50+ to have any chance at winning.

But 40 is definitely not out of the question :)

Reactions: DannyGallivan

illpucks

May 26, 2011
McDavid specifically said in his Denmark interview that he won't be considered a great player until he scores 50. Watch out.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I don't think Ovie will be concerned with scoring goals next year. He worked all season to reach 50, missed it by 1 goal and won the cup instead.

Reactions: geoo9

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Any Pens fans that can tell me what Crosby is working on this offseason?

Grabner

Feb 22, 2018
This guy
upload_2018-6-11_19-38-22.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad