Who wins the Rocket in 19/20?

Who?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I can see many of those names winning TBH.

Crosby - if he really wants it and goes all in during the whole season - I think he can still challenge for the Ross, and if it's a year where he scores a lot, the Rocket too.
McDavid - so talented, same idea as Crosby. He'll challenge for the Ross - and if it's a year where he scores a lot too, no reason he can't win the Rocket.
Matthews - Assuming healthy all year, he's one of the favorites. Scores as much/consistently as most
Laine - Hard to say. He'll probably have something like 0 goals in october and november, than 33 in december, than 0 in january/february/march - so it depends on whether he hits 30 in April or only 10....

Others can always step up too (Drai, Kane, Kucherov...)

But I said it in another thread though. When in doubt....vote Ov. So I did.

Reactions: jetsforever

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Laine. Laine will come back with a vengeance next year. If he doesn't, and ends up having a year like this one, he'll be considered a "bust". Bust in quotes because of the appetizer he gave us at the start of his career.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The guys currently sitting in 3rd, 4th and 5th in this year’s race probably should’ve gotten a place in the poll or a mention in the comments so far.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Has to be Ovi......

Pretty sure Drai won’t be shooting at a 22% clip next year.

I mean his career average is 13.7% excluding this year. 15.9% if you do include this year which would give him 35 goals. Which I think is pretty much his wheelhouse.

He also has played 250 minutes more this year than last with the same amount of games played. I’d also be willing to bet he’s had a lot more minutes with McDavod this year which obviously helps.

All that said, if the Oilers can’t surround Drai and McDavid with any semblance of talent they will again be required to play stupid minutes to try and win games.

Anyway.....as usual it will be Ovi’s to lose. He’s not slowing down any........

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Never count out Ovi. I don’t see Drai replicating this success or being a perennial 50 goal scorer.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
1.) Ovechkin- no debate really, he's owned this trophy
2.) Matthews- if he's healthy he could challenge Ovi for it, isn't he second in goals per game since entering the league or something?
3.) McDavid- best player in the world, he's talented enough to contend and win this
4.) Laine- He's still a really good goal scorer who obviously struggled this year, but has the incredible shot that can help him win it.

Those would be my top 4 options at this point

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Ovie or Laine - Rest just havent comparable onetimer or wrister. Plain and simple - guys with long range shot win it much much more

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I picked Matthews to win this year (won't happen obviously) and I'll take him again for next season.

He will need to actually stay healthy to challenge of course.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
If ovechkin doesn’t win and Matthews has a full season I’d pick Matthews. If he doesn’t have a full year maybe mcdavid, Pasternak, Arvidsson, maybe laine if he regains form but who knows.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
1.) Ovechkin- no debate really, he's owned this trophy
2.) Matthews- if he's healthy he could challenge Ovi for it, isn't he second in goals per game since entering the league or something?
3.) McDavid- best player in the world, he's talented enough to contend and win this
4.) Laine- He's still a really good goal scorer who obviously struggled this year, but has the incredible shot that can help him win it.

Those would be my top 4 options at this point

He has .533 goals per game since entering the league compared to .549 for Ovechkin, and has scored the most per game at ES.

www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggregate=1&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20162017&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=goals

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Interesting stat I found trying to make my prediction. Ovechkin, Matthews, and Arvidsson all have the exact same G/60 right now at 1.88. I'll go with Ovechkin.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ovechkin.

Matthews needs to play a full season and maintain his numbers through a full 82-game season before he's the favorite. Even then, he needs Ovechkin to fall off, or he needs to outright improve his pace, because even in a full season he currently falls short of Ovechkin by a handful of goals. He's currently pacing at about 47 goals, but he's going to finish almost 20 games shy again. I don't think 20 more games is going to improve his pace.

Draisaitl might be the #2 guy this season, but that shooting percentage is telling. It's possible, but you almost have to expect those numbers to drop.

Tavares and McDavid would be my dark horse choices. Tavares is actually at the same goal-scoring pace as Matthews, but he's actually played the entire season. That's noteworthy. He has more talent with him than before, and on a team that pushes things more offensively. McDavid will play a lot of minutes, and have the puck a lot(by necessity as much as his own ability), so he will get a lot of opportunity and he's as driven to improve himself as anyone.

There is only one player who you can really count on to consistently(by NHL standards) play a full season and put up 50 goals, and that's Ovechkin. You can say age will catch up, and eventually you'll be right, but at 33 years of age he just did it again. If you're going to bet on any single player, he's the safe bet. Until he isn't.

Reactions: varank

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I won’t bet against the great 8, but the next most likely would be McDavid imo. He’s having back-2-back 40+ goal campaigns, and he’s only gotten better every year.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Stamkos should be on here. He is back in the 40s now. He could have a 50 goal season next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad