WC: Who Wins The Gold Medal Game

Who Will Win The Gold Medal Game ???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I was going to make up a thread for the bronze medal game but it will likely be overwhelming.

As for the Gold Medal Game, who will win?

* Canada

* Finland

As for me... Canada will have revenge and momentum on their side.

Go Canada Go! Hoping for a great game from the BandWagon.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Canada should have bit more energy because of earlier time for their semifinal game, but I'll say 50-50.

Boo Canada boo!

Reactions: ORRFForever

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I think Finland will win, but I'm all for a Canada win with this meme roster.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Finland can only win if the majority votes Canada. Please guys.
If that's the case, it looks like Canada might win.

Update : Votes for Canada are starting to come in.

Last edited:

Mainiac

May 15, 2021
Watching the GER-FIN game, I'd say if FIN plays that well against us (CAN) we should prevail. But it seems they only play well enough to win !? Conservation of energy or something. My other data point is we had a much better team (on paper) back in 2019 and couldn't get it done. I know that 2019 FIN team was also a no-name team and I don't know how this years FIN no-name team compares. So I'll just hope for the best. I can't vote - bad luck.

David OSullivan

Oct 12, 2017
Watching the GER-FIN game, I'd say if FIN plays that well against us (CAN) we should prevail. But it seems they only play well enough to win !? Conservation of energy or something. My other data point is we had a much better team (on paper) back in 2019 and couldn't get it done. I know that 2019 FIN team was also a no-name team and I don't know how this years FIN no-name team compares. So I'll just hope for the best. I can't vote - bad luck.

They have names

Reactions: wacko2 and Mainiac

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
This is going to break the television audience numbers in Finland as the most watched TV program of 2021 on any channel for sure. The Sunday prime time match against Latvia already was the #2 after Eurovision. This game is played on the same week day and at the same time as the LAT game and it's a final so it should easily beat those two. With all respect to Latvia, Canada should be more interesting opponent for the viewers as well. There are still those ignorant people in this country who don't know much about hockey and think that Latvia is an easy opponent sadly, but Canada should always spark those people's interest.

European Championship soccer matches where Finland is also playing will be contesting this final's TV audience numbers soon though most likely.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This is going to break the television audience numbers in Finland as the most watched TV program of 2021 on any channel for sure. The Sunday prime time match against Latvia already was the #2 after Eurovision. This game is played on the same week day and at the same time and it's a final so it should easily beat those two. With all respect to Latvia, Canada should be more interesting opponent for the viewers as well. There are still those ignorant people in this country who don't know much about hockey and think that Latvia is an easy opponent sadly, but Canada should always spark those people's interest.
I hope people in both countries tune in.

I'm sure TSN is salivating at the numbers.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I THINK the U.S./Germany game is on at 7 and the GMG at 1.

Not sure why they didn't have today's Canada/US game on at 1.

Probably because USA was #1 seed in the playoffs and they wanted to give them an advantage. More rest than the other semifinal pairing, but it's silly that there has to be a variable like that at all.

On the other hand I've heard that TSN has sometimes been able to switch the start times regardless of seeding, so dunno why it didn't happen now.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Probably because USA was #1 seed in the playoffs and they wanted to give them an advantage. More rest than the other semifinal pairing, but it's silly that there has to be a variable like that at all.
They probably also wanted to get the Fins/Germany game in prime time Europe - assuming they are 7(?) hours ahead.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Just like the 2016 tournament, Finland beats Canada in the meaningless prelim game, but Canada wins when it matters.

Whatever happens though, a silver medal is an achievement after the start we had.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
They also probably wanted to get the Fins/Germany game in prime time Europe - assuming they are 7(?) hours ahead.

It was Finnish time 18:15 when the FIN-GER game started. So starting at 14:15 our time in your slot would'nt have been an issue at all for people. People would've tuned in for sure.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Just like the 2016 tournament, Finland beats Canada in the meaningless prelim game, but Canada wins when it matters.

Whatever happens though, a silver medal is an achievement after the start we had.

Beating you in SO is hardly beating you. Finland is the underdog here as always against Canada. We like it that way.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Beating you in SO is hardly beating you. Finland is the underdog here as always against Canada. We like it that way.
Canada's gonna feel like destiny is on their side. That will certainly help. Either way, I won't lose any sleep over who wins - altho, I am sure my nerves will kick in once the game starts.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Canada's gonna feel like destiny is on their side. That will certainly help. Either way, I won't lose any sleep over who wins - altho, I am sure my nerves will kick in once the game starts.

Canada has won too many golds. It's time to give Finland some (in the Olympics as well thank you).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad