Who wins the AHL rookie of the year?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Jimmy Howard 36 games, 2.55 GAA and a .911 SV%
Patrick O'Sullivan 74 games, 45 goals, 42 assists for 87 points
Ryan Shannon 68 Games played 25 goals, 57 assists for 82 points

I know I'm going to get slammed as a homer but O'Sullivan. The kid plays on the PP but most of his points are coming from even strength, hence the 16 points on the PP.

He's also not playing with Westrum, Law because they are paired up with Voloshenko. Just my take.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Jimmy Howard 36 games, 2.55 GAA and a .911 SV%
Patrick O'Sullivan 74 games, 45 goals, 42 assists for 87 points
Ryan Shannon 68 Games played 25 goals, 57 assists for 82 points

I know I'm going to get slammed as a homer but O'Sullivan. The kid plays on the PP but most of his points are coming from even strength, hence the 16 points on the PP.

He's also not playing with Westrum, Law because they are paired up with Voloshenko. Just my take.

How are you a homer for picking Sullivan? You should be named stupid if you don't pick Sullivan IMO.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
O'sullivan and it's not even close.........

Shannon is nice, but sully scores lots more goals, and he outpointed him and is more dynamic, and o'sullivan is 2 years younger, not that they probably factor that in.

I believe sully had the most goals by a rookie in 15+ years. Beating out Vaneks mark.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
if you going on the basis of PPG, Ryan Shannon better then O'Sullivan, although in O'Sullivan's favor you got way more goals.

I guess you go with whoever has the most points come seasons end. Rookie trophy's are usually stat based. I hope peoples voting will NOT be that Sully will be a better NHL player so let's give it to him.

Last edited:

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I don't think the AHL Rookie of the year is a stat based award. [not that it doesn't hurt to be the top rookie scorer], but still...supposedly, it's voted on by players and media.

That being said...currently O'Sullivan has 20 goals over Shannon...and as the AHL website shows, he's had one of the best rookie seasons in recent memory. Although Ryan Shannon is a decent player and all that, I just don't see how his stats even compare. And as far as pure talent and skill goes, sorry - but it's not even close.

DXFlyers

Jun 15, 2005
MePutPuckInNet said:
I don't think the AHL Rookie of the year is a stat based award. [not that it doesn't hurt to be the top rookie scorer], but still...supposedly, it's voted on by players and media.

That being said...currently O'Sullivan has 20 goals over Shannon...and as the AHL website shows, he's had one of the best rookie seasons in recent memory. Although Ryan Shannon is a decent player and all that, I just don't see how his stats even compare. And as far as pure talent and skill goes, sorry - but it's not even close.

I saw Shannon play vs the Phantoms. He is well rounded, but O'Sullivan's stats are just wicked. He is probably going to win.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm failing to see why O'Sullivan's stats can be classified as "awesome", but Shannon's are seen as merely average. O'Sullivan has more goals, Shannon has more assists. But the only thing people want to talk about is the discrepancy in goals. Last time I checked, most goals require an assist. So with 82 points, that means Shannon had a hand in 82 goals compared to O'Sullivan's 87. I must be alone because I really don't see a big difference between the two seasons. One is a playmaker and one is a goal scorer. I know the whole argument of goal scorers being more valuable, but I don't buy that for one second. Plus the fact that Shannon has racked up his point totals in less games, and has come in with far less fanfare. Most hockey minds knew O'Sullivan would put up numbers, very few expected this type of season out of Shannon. Based on the expectations he has exceeded, I vote for Shannon, even if O'Sullivan has had the so-called more impressive season.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Kritty said:
I know the whole argument of goal scorers being more valuable, but I don't buy that for one second.

They tell you assists are just as good as goals in tyke hockey because they want you to learn to play as a team - don't hog the puck. They also tell you it doesn't matter if you win or lose.

You can be the best playmaker around, but if you don't have anyone to feed who can put it in, you're in trouble.

O'Sullivan. Easy.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I don't care who wins a silly award.

I know i want o'sullivan on my team of the 3..

shannon is a couple years older and not all 5"9 inch playmakers work out, but i enjoyed watching him in college.

RandomCanuckFan

Jan 23, 2005
gars59 said:
an assist is an assist .....

but there can be two on every goal, so playmakers have an easier time scoring points. if there was one on every goal, it would be even ... that's why the question is how many of Shannon's assists are primary and how many are secondary.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
RandomCanuckFan said:
but there can be two on every goal, so playmakers have an easier time scoring points. if there was one on every goal, it would be even ... that's why the question is how many of Shannon's assists are primary and how many are secondary.

And sometimes, the guy getting the second assist might be the guy making the play. IMO, a garbage goal is no different from a second assist.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
And sometimes, the guy getting the second assist might be the guy making the play. IMO, a garbage goal is no different from a second assist.

a goal is a goal, the only true "garbage goal" would be an empty netter.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Yosemite Sam said:
They tell you assists are just as good as goals in tyke hockey because they want you to learn to play as a team - don't hog the puck. They also tell you it doesn't matter if you win or lose.

You can be the best playmaker around, but if you don't have anyone to feed who can put it in, you're in trouble.

O'Sullivan. Easy.

Yeah, but if nobody gets O'Sullivan the puck he doesn't score half as many goals as he does.

You can make the argument for both sides, but the fact of the matter is Shannon obviously can put the puck in the net too, with 25 goals. That's no small feat in itself.

Either way, had Howard played more games, I'd give him the nod, but since he's not I think O'Sully will get it, but not by a landslide as you all say.

Randall Graves*

Kritty said:
I'm failing to see why O'Sullivan's stats can be classified as "awesome", but Shannon's are seen as merely average. O'Sullivan has more goals, Shannon has more assists. But the only thing people want to talk about is the discrepancy in goals. Last time I checked, most goals require an assist. So with 82 points, that means Shannon had a hand in 82 goals compared to O'Sullivan's 87. I must be alone because I really don't see a big difference between the two seasons. One is a playmaker and one is a goal scorer. I know the whole argument of goal scorers being more valuable, but I don't buy that for one second. Plus the fact that Shannon has racked up his point totals in less games, and has come in with far less fanfare. Most hockey minds knew O'Sullivan would put up numbers, very few expected this type of season out of Shannon. Based on the expectations he has exceeded, I vote for Shannon, even if O'Sullivan has had the so-called more impressive season.
Shannons numbers playing with a quality player(Penner) and not are night and day, why? because playmaking is his game.

But O'sullivan should win it.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
dumb argument.. i dont follow AHL and have no clue who the 2 guys are.. but i do know that A POINT IS A POINT .. when looking for MVPs u cant say one guy is better because he has same points as another but less second assists.

LuLuBelle

Jul 8, 2005
it is not a rookie MVP award. it's the Most Outstanding Rookie.

How many "garbage goals" does O'Sullivan have? Four, maybe five if you are a harsh critic, and even they have style. I dont think he knows what a "garbage goal" is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad