Euro: Who will win the Euro?

Who will win?

• Total voters

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Don't think that conversation will lead to anywhere good, but his Norwegian is "better" than Zlatan's Swedish (all depending on how you define "good Swedish/Norwegian"). An old friend of mine (we used to play for the same team) came to Norway when he was around 12 or something from Bosnia. His Norwegian vocabulary is fantastic, better than most Norwegians, and his grammar is perfect, but his pronunciation still comes with a fairly strong accent. And he jokes about how he now has 0 languages - as his Norwegian isn't perfect, but as he says when he goes back to Bosnia he isn't speaking the local language perfectly either.

Among Nowegian players a better example would be Tarik Elyounoussi - who came to Norway as an 11 year old. Impossible to hear that he isn't a native speaker. Even with his language skills you can obviously argue how "Norwegian" he is.

Should Tarik be allowed to play for Norway? I don't know. In football it is hardly a big issue, but you have seen in other sports nations basically buying themselves teams. Many years ago you had Austria in women's handball - packing their team with Eastern Europeans. Qatar have recently done something similar for men - filling up their team with "foreigners" and ended up playing a world cup final on the back of it.

The Swedes in question however should clearly be allowed to play for Sweden - if the want to. I'm assuming Isak could also have played for Eritrea if he wanted to etc.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Don't think that conversation will lead to anywhere good, but his Norwegian is "better" than Zlatan's Swedish (all depending on how you define "good Swedish/Norwegian"). An old friend of mine (we used to play for the same team) came to Norway when he was around 12 or something from Bosnia. His Norwegian vocabulary is fantastic, better than most Norwegians, and his grammar is perfect, but his pronunciation still comes with a fairly strong accent. And he jokes about how he now has 0 languages - as his Norwegian isn't perfect, but as he says when he goes back to Bosnia he isn't speaking the local language perfectly either.

Among Nowegian players a better example would be Tarik Elyounoussi - who came to Norway as an 11 year old. Impossible to hear that he isn't a native speaker. Even with his language skills you can obviously argue how "Norwegian" he is.

Should Tarik be allowed to play for Norway? I don't know. In football it is hardly a big issue, but you have seen in other sports nations basically buying themselves teams. Many years ago you had Austria in women's handball - packing their team with Eastern Europeans. Qatar have recently done something similar for men - filling up their team with "foreigners" and ended up playing a world cup final on the back of it.

The Swedes in question however should clearly be allowed to play for Sweden - if the want to. I'm assuming Isak could also have played for Eritrea if he wanted to etc.

i have no idea where u get your stuff from man. both zlatan and isak is born and raised in sweden and speaks fluent swedish. not sure why you think they can hardly speak swedish.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
i have no idea where u get your stuff from man. both zlatan and isak is born and raised in sweden and speaks fluent swedish. not sure why you think they can hardly speak swedish.

I get why it might be difficult for you to understand if you think that I have said anything like "they can hardly speak Swedish" :huh:

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I get why it might be difficult for you to understand if you think that I have said anything like "they can hardly speak Swedish" :huh:

u said zlatan dont speak fluent swedish, which he does. he spoke swedish since he was like 2 years old.

he has an skåne accent, which i also have. skåne is the swedish south/texas. maybe thats what make u confused..

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Perfectly aware of where Zlatan grew up. Which I guess is the reason why he speaks the way he does.

Anyway. Zlatan won't influence much who will win the EURO.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
he said "import talents". isak and kulusevski is homegrown talent. sweden is a multicultural country just like germany, france, netherlands etc. sweden has never import a talent. all our players with immigrants roots are always born and raised in sweden, speaks fluent swedish and wants to play for the swedish national team. this is not the same thing as with for exemple marlos for ukraine.

You didn't get his point.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
u said zlatan dont speak fluent swedish, which he does. he spoke swedish since he was like 2 years old.

he has an skåne accent, which i also have. skåne is the swedish south/texas. maybe thats what make u confused..

Well, we all know that Skåne are part of the occupied territories that should be returned to Denmark in the coming years :)

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Well, we all know that Skåne are part of the occupied territories that should be returned to Denmark in the coming years :)

soccer: zlatan, helander, jansson, robin olsen, svanberg

icehockey: Carl Söderberg, Hampus Lindholm, Niklas Hansson, Ted Brithen, Andre Burakovsky, Jakob Lilja, Alexander Bergström,
Marcus Johansson, Joel Persson, Ramus Andersson, Eric Martinsson.

handball: andreas nilsson, nicklas ekberg, jim gottfridsson, lukas nilsson, andreas pallicka.

some good players from skåne. not sure any of them is good enough for team denmark.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal
Italy has been playing well but unless I'm mistaken they're heading to a quarter final matchup against Belgium. This will be a tough challenge. I picked France to win it all but obviously there's a few countries that could win it all. My shortlist is France, Italy, Belgium and Germany. Ironically the second place team in the group of death could have an easier path to the final.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

Im not a fan of Schmeichel and would much rather prefer Olsen to be honest.

Pretty much all of the hockey guys would go directly into our A-team. Especially if any of them are centers. An aging Frans Nielsen is declining pretty fast these years. I still hope he has the capacity to end his career in Redhawks after his contract is done in Red Wings next summer, but we will see.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Im not a fan of Schmeichel and would much rather prefer Olsen to be honest.

Pretty much all of the hockey guys would go directly into our A-team. Especially if any of them are centers. An aging Frans Nielsen is declining pretty fast these years. I still hope he has the capacity to end his career in Redhawks after his contract is done in Red Wings next summer, but we will see.

yeah olsen is a monster. danes should remember him well from his fck days.

you are a redhawks fan? maybe somehow red wings buy him out and nielsen comes to mif this season.

söderberg - nielsen - bouma 1st line

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
yeah olsen is a monster. danes should remember him well from his fck days.

you are a redhawks fan? maybe somehow red wings buy him out and nielsen comes to mif this season.

söderberg - nielsen - bouma 1st line

I go to Malmö a couple of times every season to catch a game of Redhawks hockey. At least until the covid19 stopped it.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Now that France are out, I'll hope for a Belgium win. They have players whose legacies would be greatly enhanced with an international tournament win, Hazard, De Bruyne, Lukaku, Courtois etc.

Hopefully those guys can stay healthy for rest of the tournament. I hoped that they could have won when Kompany was still playing, but it wasn't to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00