Speculation: Who will we draft with #4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
If the Leafs do want Marner more compared to Strome or Hanifin and if it's true that Arizona wants him because of his connection with Max Domi, is that report out there hoping the Leafs will give them something to trade up for 3rd overall or is Arizona bluffing and they really want Hanifin?

I don't think the leafs will do any trading up in this situation. They'll just sit on their pick and take the bpa. If the leafs were say sitting 6th or 5th, then yeah a trade might be necessary to swing that deal. But Arizona's in far worse shape than the leafs are, I think they keep their pick and take who they want out of marner/hanifin.

Either way, we end up with a player that's slated to be an elite f or d. Not a bad haul imo.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
R
It's funny because Interactif likes to use Chi and L.A. to prove the days of the big dominating players are still among us. But aside for Kopitar and Carter for L.A. and Toews (who is 6'2). Where are the other big dominating players? Are Gaborik, Brown, Toffoli, Kane, Sharp, Hossa etc. who he's talking about?

See size is important. And a big skilled #1 would be great, but like Dubas said, we are in no place to pick that over the BPA. Next year the Leafs are probably a bottom 5 team. Brown and especiallly Matthews are shaping up to be big, fast, skilled centers who can be that #1 for you.

Which brings us to another important Dubas quote: When you try to emulate another team, you become an inferior copy. Just because people call Rielly a Keith or Nylander a Kane, doesn't mean the team will become anything like Chicago. All these players will become who they are and as a collection, what they are. If the Leafs have success people won't be saying build your team like the Leafs who built their team like Chicago, they will just say build like the Leafs.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's funny because Interactif likes to use Chi and L.A. to prove the days of the big dominating players are still among us. But aside for Kopitar and Carter for L.A. and Toews (who is 6'2). Where are the other big dominating players? Are Gaborik, Brown, Toffoli, Kane, Sharp, Hossa etc. who he's talking about?

See size is important. And a big skilled #1 would be great, but like Dubas said, we are in no place to pick that over the BPA. Next year the Leafs are probably a bottom 5 team. Brown and especiallly Matthews are shaping up to be big, fast, skilled centers who can be that #1 for you.

Although I want JVR traded

xxxx- Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Marner-Brown

Had heard Matthews projects as a winger at the NHL level.

Also there is a CHANCE Nylander is a centre for us later on. What if he spends most of next year in the AHL developing as a centre and comes to the big leagues as a centre?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Strome is by no means a speedster but to say he's slow is hilarious.

Strome is a below average skater, AKA slow. Is there any disputing this? Then, when you compare him to the other top draft pick, he looks immobile.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
If the Leafs do want Marner more compared to Strome or Hanifin and if it's true that Arizona wants him because of his connection with Max Domi, is that report out there hoping the Leafs will give them something to trade up for 3rd overall or is Arizona bluffing and they really want Hanifin?

I personally dont get the London connection and the value a franchise would put in it. It is not like if Marner and Domi got some kind of unparalleled chemistry (like the Sedins). If they think he on his own is the 3rd best prospect they will pick him, if they dont they wont. Domi or no Domi.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Every year or two teams start trying to emulate the current SC winner. Anaheim was big, physical, etc. Then Pittsburgh/Detroit were highly skilled, then Boston was big, physical, etc, Chicago/LA both won twice (with Chicago arguably being more skilled and LA being bigger).

Just gotta focus on bringing in the best players possible. Skill, hockey IQ, and either very good skating or size. Im happy getting a smaller speedy Giroux type of centre or a bigger slower Getzlaf type of centre, as long as we're getting the guy with the best chance to become an elite player.

Well Said.

Stop trying to look at "Team X model" and instead create the Toronto Maple Leafs model of success.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I personally dont get the London connection and the value a franchise would put in it. It is not like if Marner and Domi got some kind of unparalleled chemistry (like the Sedins). If they think he on his own is the 3rd best prospect they will pick him, if they dont they wont. Domi or no Domi.

Actually when Marner and Dvorak played with Domi their numbers went down so you almost don't want to reunite that line besides Dvorak - Marner or maybe Dvorak - Domi (I don't have those numbers).

91Kadri91*

I'm glad you put a sarcastic face there because I was about to rip you a new one..comparing Strome to Clarkson...really. I laugh..yes let's look at a video of a speedy Marner and compare that to Strome who has 3-4 inches on him. Of course he's going to look slower..Strome is by no means a speedster but to say he's slow is hilarious.

He is slow.

I don't necessarily think his end-to-end speed will be an issue at the NHL level (he positions himself very well), but to say he's not slow is either ignorant or disingenuous. His acceleration, however, is very poor, and will have to improve significantly (which I'm sure it can) if he wishes to produce at the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad