Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Continue from the last thread...

Mitch Marner:

Ranked #5 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #6 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #5 by Future Considerations
Ranked #4 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #6 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Noah Hanifin:

Ranked #3 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #4 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #3 by Future Considerations
Ranked #3 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #3 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Dylan Strome:

Ranked #6 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #3 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #4 by Future Considerations
Ranked #8 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #4 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Lawson Crouse:

Ranked #8 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #5 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #9 by Future Considerations
Ranked #6 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #5 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Ivan Provorov:

Ranked #7 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #9 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #8 by Future Considerations
Ranked #5 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #7 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

Mathew Barzal:

Ranked #17 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #8 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #11 by Future Considerations
Ranked #10 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #11 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Honestly I think it's going to be Hanifin. I can see Arizona taking Strome and the Leafs deciding to seriously boost up the blueline with this pick.

But, honestly give me one of Strome/Marner/Hanifin and I am satisfied :).

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hanifin if he's there, or drop down and grab one of Barzal/Provorov/ Crouse plus an extra 2nd or two

MapleLife*

I think there is a difference between who we will draft and who we should draft.

I gotta feeling ARZ takes Strome
I gotta feeling we take Marner
I gotta feeling we need Hanifin more. We already have a Marner (Nylander).

Hanifin for me

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Really tough decision, but I'd be happy with either Marner, Strome or Hanifin.

Part of me really likes the idea of a Rielly - Hanifin combo.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Strooooooooommmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeee

I agree, I honestly don't think Marner is a better player than Strome, and regardless, Marner doesn't fit what we need. He and Nylander simply won't be a good line together going forward, and I'm not using a 4th overall pick to go in and get a guy that will either play on the 2nd line, or force our best current prospect to play on the second line... That is unless you want two guys who like to dictate play on the same line, but I'm pretty sure that was a large reason why Kadri and Kessel are never on the same line...

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I agree, I honestly don't think Marner is a better player than Strome, and regardless, Marner doesn't fit what we need. He and Nylander simply won't be a good line together going forward, and I'm not using a 4th overall pick to go in and get a guy that will either play on the 2nd line, or force our best current prospect to play on the second line... That is unless you want two guys who like to dictate play on the same line, but I'm pretty sure that was a large reason why Kadri and Kessel are never on the same line...

Doesn't fit what we need? We need everything. We need elite talent at every position. We have jack **** right now other than solid young pieces in Rielly and Nylander.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Marner goes third.... Hanifin

If Hanifin goes third.... Marner

If Strome goes third.... Hanifin
My feeling is that Hanifin might be to hard to pass up on if Marner gets taken 3rd overall. Obviously the Leafs need a future #1 Centre which Strome could very well become, however I think it could be easier to select Hanifin if Strome goes 3rd overall instead.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Why wouldn't they be good together?

Marner has that ability to make his teammates much better. He has the skill, vision and high hockey IQ to make that happen. I do not think it's fair that you believe Strome/Nylander will have chemistry but Marner/Nylander won't.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I honestly think it's going to be between Marner and Hanifin.
Barzal might be that darkhorse, and only if Hanifin is gone.

Hogzilla

Mar 5, 2014
St. Catharines, Ont
For me, production matters.

Marner produces, and the fact he's a bit smaller doesn't worry me at all. Same height as Crosby, Kane, Giroux and taller than the likes of T. Johnson, St. Louis and Gudreau.

I don't like the mystery of how a ncaa defensman translates to OHL caliber hockey so it's hard for me to pass up on elite forwards from the O for a college D man. I want Marner simply because he's continued to produce and I think these OHL playoffs were a big indicator for me since he just lit it up while Strome has faltered greatly while playing against 2nd tier defense pairing and grabbing a few free points off McDavid's coattails (see his last goal)

Mitch Marner, the new Dougie Gilmour.

Edit: I also think there are a couple solid defensman in next year's draft that the leafs will be in line to potentially pick (Chychrun and even Sean Day) this is the year of the elite forwards in the O, top 3 point leaders all 17 year old kids... It's epic and it would be an absolute shame and mistake to pass up on one of Marner or Strome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad