FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think it's going to go

Hanifin
Marner
Barzal

i feel strome is out of the running
Yeah, I think Strome's support has dwindled a bit. He may make a revival in a later version of this thread, but don't think he's going to be winning any polls for a while.

I still think the pick is Hanifin. I feel like Arizona will take a forward, be it Strome or Marner. And I also think in that situation we go with the d-man and run with that. Of course if Hanifin goes third then it gets interesting. In that case I probably say Marner, though I could still easily see Strome or maybe Barzal making that spot.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
If we take a forward, I want Barzal. I don't get this whole "He's a reach at 4 but not at 6-7". He's a good player and has shown what he can do with the little he's had to work with, so what if he isn't ranked in the Top 5, neither was a guy like Johansen (Not comparing their skill, just their draft situation).

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
If Hanifin is gone, I don't think it will be either of Marner or Strome.

I think Zacha is making a serious push for the top 5. Outside of him, Barzal is another player that is regaining his pre-season status and solidifying himself as a top 8 pick. Either of those players could be a justifiable reach @4.

I have been a big Strome fan boy, but even I can admit that his stock has dropped, and is dropping fast. These playoffs have really diluted his hype, whether it be because of the rumoured injury, or what. I think others have proved themselves to be better options at the pick.

So too with Marner, I think he has his question marks (size, position, injury). Barzal, in comparison, is a more natural playmaker in my opinion, and is a centre through and through. He has more lower body strength than Marner and had more hype going into the season. Barzal was actually one of the best centre prospects entering the WHL in a while, his injury really set his stock back.

I really think this Marner v. Strome debate is funny, because IMO, there are potentially better options at 4.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Want:
Marner
Hanifin
Strome

BPA:
Hanifin
Marner
Strome

Realistically:
3 - Hanifin
4 - Marner
5 - Strome

In a good spot to pick up a solid prospect.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I was firmly on Team Strome not long ago...now he's dropped to behind Hanifin and Marner for me.

Hanifin
Marner
Strome

Really hoping the Yotes don't take Hanifin but even if they do, I'm confident we'll end up with Marner considering what Dubas had to say today.

Beleafer19

Apr 25, 2013
If we take a forward, I want Barzal. I don't get this whole "He's a reach at 4 but not at 6-7". He's a good player and has shown what he can do with the little he's had to work with, so what if he isn't ranked in the Top 5, neither was a guy like Johansen (Not comparing their skill, just their draft situation).

I agree! What if he turns out like Monahan! Now he's a stud!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
91Kadri91 said:
He is slow.

I don't necessarily think his end-to-end speed will be an issue at the NHL level (he positions himself very well), but to say he's not slow is either ignorant or disingenuous. His acceleration, however, is very poor, and will have to improve significantly (which I'm sure it can) if he wishes to produce at the NHL level.

Exactly, he's slow for an OHL player... Then when you look at him versus other top 5 picks, he looks immobile. I don't get how people dispute the fact Strome's slow...

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Want:
Marner
Hanifin
Strome

BPA:
Hanifin
Marner
Strome

Realistically:
3 - Hanifin
4 - Marner
5 - Strome

In a good spot to pick up a solid prospect.

Selecting the BPA is important but selecting the BPA who fits our philosophy is also important.
So out of the following Strome/Hanifin/Marner/Crouse/Barzal/Provorov (the players identified by Dubas), who has the best:
1. Skill
2. Speed
3. Smarts
4. Compete
5. 200 foot game
6. Character/leadership/drive/intensity?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Because he'l be drafted? Or you think he's played himself out of the top 5 based on the playoffs?

either or.

if Arizona takes him - he's obviously moot.
If Arizona doesn't draft Hanifin - I feel that we will that we'll go Hanifin. (maybe), like i'm not even really sure on that my personal thoughts flit between centre/ Hanifin every day.

but if Hanifin is drafted, my feeling is for the Leafs - it's going to be Marner or Barzal. I think there has been a lot of .... preparation through the media that "size doesn't matter" The organization (even though most of them has been Fireasscred) hasn't been afraid of going for a person who has slipped down a bit in the rankings. (Morgan Rielly). Maybe Barzal wouldn't be ranked so low if not for his injury earlier in the season.

So I think the question would be who has the more "elite" potential - Barzal or Marner. vs. who will be more beneficial to the organization Hanifin or Marner and then adding more eliteness, and I think it boils down to

Hanifin
Marner
Barzal.

(I don't watch Junior hockey until the MCup, so maybe Strome can better his stock there but I would figure, unless someone went "beast mode" (or completely flopped) I would think our preferences is already set, and it really depends on who Arizona drafts.)

[and the reason for that is that I don't really want to be prejudiced to the pick. I figure - WJHC/MCup, so I have a sense and I can go in "blind" and just celebrate the pick instead of being aww man, him?]

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Selecting the BPA is important but selecting the BPA who fits our philosophy is also important.
So out of the following Strome/Hanifin/Marner/Crouse/Barzal/Provorov (the players identified by Dubas), who has the best:
1. Skill
2. Speed
3. Smarts
4. Compete
5. 200 foot game

I can only comment on Strome and Marner, those are the only prospects I've been keeping an eye on. I've read up on Hanifin and Barzal a lot. Crouse and Provorov I've only skimmed through their threads, I haven't seen them as realistic targets for the Leafs in their spot. Although Provorov seems to have some hype following him.

So If you want a list of Marner vs Strome:

1. Skill - Depends on what package you're looking for. Marner if you're the Leafs
2. Speed - Marner
3. Smarts - Strome
4. Compete - Marner
5. 2 way game - Marner
6. Drive and intensity - Marner

If you've got input from the other prospects I'd love to hear it though.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I was firmly on Team Strome not long ago...now he's dropped to behind Hanifin and Marner for me.

Hanifin
Marner
Strome

Really hoping the Yotes don't take Hanifin but even if they do, I'm confident we'll end up with Marner considering what Dubas had to say today.

Same here. The only thing that might change my opinion back on Strome, if it comes out that his been dealing with an injury that is hampering him. Either way, I'll take Hanifin over both if his available at 4.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
1. Skill
2. Speed
3. Smarts
4. Compete
5. 200 foot game

Well its hard to compare D to forwards... Completely different positions that affect the game in completely different ways...

But for the forwards you listed...
1.) Marner then Barzal
2.) Marner then Barzal
3.) Marner then Barzal
4.) Crouse then Marner
5.) Crouse then Marner
6.) Crouse then Marner

Thats my opinion anyways...

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I can only comment on Strome and Marner, those are the only prospects I've been keeping an eye on. I've read up on Hanifin and Barzal a lot. Crouse and Provorov I've only skimmed through their threads, I haven't seen them as realistic targets for the Leafs in their spot. Although Provorov seems to have some hype following him.

So If you want a list of Marner vs Strome:

1. Skill - Depends on what package you're looking for. Marner if you're the Leafs
2. Speed - Marner
3. Smarts - Strome
4. Compete - Marner
5. 2 way game - Marner
6. Drive and intensity - Marner

If you've got input from the other prospects I'd love to hear it though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Marner win smartest player in the OHL or something along those lines?

Same here. The only thing that might change my opinion back on Strome, if it comes out that his been dealing with an injury that is hampering him. Either way, I'll take Hanifin over both if his available at 4.

Agreed.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Marner
Hanifin
Strome/Barzal

This is the way I have it now for our 4th overall pick, the playoffs have really soured me on Strome.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I've got myself convinced that at 4 its

Hanifin (if available)
Marner/Barzal (equal odds)

or trade back for one of

Marner(if Carolina takes Crouse)/Barzal/Provorov

Bolded is my gut call, with Arizona taking Hanifin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad