Speculation: Who will the Senators protect in the upcoming expansion draft?

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
1. Stone
2. Turris
3. Smith
4. Brassard
5. Hoffman
6. Dzingel
7. Lazar
- exposes Pageau, Pyatt, Kelly, Neil, MacArthur & Ryan

1. Karlsson
2. Ceci
3. Phaneuf
- exposes Methot, Boroweicki, Wideman & Claesson

You prefer Lazar over Pageau?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lazar is easily exposed, and without worry, either. Vegas won't take him.

We're most likely losing a defenceman. I can't imagine there are too many 3rd-line/4th-line forwards on our team that Vegas would want more than Methot (or Ceci).

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

We're most likely losing a defenceman. I can't imagine there are too many 3rd-line/4th-line forwards on our team that Vegas would want more than Methot (or Ceci).

I think the best course of action would be going 4-4. A lot of people ignored the possibility early on because there was an assumption that Ryan had to be protected, which would have led to us losing one of the big four forwards in Turris, Brassard, Stone, or Hoffman.

Going 4-4 keeps our top 4 defense together and keeps our core forward group together. Whether we go 7-3 or 4-4, we are destined to lose a valuable player, but losing a forward is a much easier problem to correct than losing a top 4 defender like Methot.

We couldn't even solve our need to find a bottom pairing guy this summer via free agency so I think it is safe to say we're not getting a Methot replacement via free agency in what might be the most competitive July 1st in recent memory.

I would much rather lose one of Dzingel, Ryan, Lazar, or Pageau than lose Methot. We could also lose Smith to Vegas, but he'll be a UFA so that is a bit more of a complicated issue.

If the plan is to trade for help after losing Methot, the trade would cost more than any one of those forwards above.

The only reason to leave Methot exposed is that the team feels Chabot or Englund are ready to be solid top 4 NHL defenders, which given historically how well defenders at their age perform sounds like a bit of a stretch.

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa
I think the best course of action would be going 4-4. A lot of people ignored the possibility early on because there was an assumption that Ryan had to be protected, which would have led to us losing one of the big four forwards in Turris, Brassard, Stone, or Hoffman.

Going 4-4 keeps our top 4 defense together and keeps our core forward group together. Whether we go 7-3 or 4-4, we are destined to lose a valuable player, but losing a forward is a much easier problem to correct than losing a top 4 defender like Methot.

We couldn't even solve our need to find a bottom pairing guy this summer via free agency so I think it is safe to say we're not getting a Methot replacement via free agency in what might be the most competitive July 1st in recent memory.

I would much rather lose one of Dzingel, Ryan, Lazar, or Pageau than lose Methot. We could also lose Smith to Vegas, but he'll be a UFA so that is a bit more of a complicated issue.

If the plan is to trade for help after losing Methot, the trade would cost more than any one of those forwards above.

The only reason to leave Methot exposed is that the team feels Chabot or Englund are ready to be solid top 4 NHL defenders, which given historically how well defenders at their age perform sounds like a bit of a stretch.

Why are you so fixated on keeping this top 4 D unit together? Phaneuf and Ceci have been awful all season. If you protect EK, Methot, Dion, you can then ship Ceci to a team who would probably protect him for a decent F: then you can protect Hoffman/Turris/Stone/Dzingel/Pageau/Forward X/Brassard

Why can't they find a bottom pairing D and elevate Wideman to a top 4 role with Dion? He cannot be any worse than Ceci has been for the past few seasons.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Why are you so fixated on keeping this top 4 D unit together? Phaneuf and Ceci have been awful all season. If you protect EK, Methot, Dion, you can then ship Ceci to a team who would probably protect him for a decent F: then you can protect Hoffman/Turris/Stone/Dzingel/Pageau/Forward X/Brassard

Why can't they find a bottom pairing D and elevate Wideman to a top 4 role with Dion? He cannot be any worse than Ceci has been for the past few seasons.

My suggestion we go 4-4 is in response to people suggesting we lose Methot.

I don't think going 7-3 and losing Methot is viable and am astounded people are valuing keeping one of Dzingel/Ryan/Lazar over keeping Methot.

If you think the team should go 7-3 and trade Ceci, I think that would be alright, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
My suggestion we go 4-4 is in response to people suggesting we lose Methot.

I don't think going 7-3 and losing Methot is viable and am astounded people are valuing keeping one of Dzingel/Ryan/Lazar over keeping Methot.

If you think the team should go 7-3 and trade Ceci, I think that would be alright, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I've never really considered going 4-4 before, but I'm starting to think it makes sense.

Stone, Turris, Hoffman are locks.
Then pick one out of Dzingel, Brassard, Smith, Pageau. I'd probably protect Dzingel at this point - he's young and cheap and has upside.

Then you get to protect the top 4 D.

Likely you lose one of Smith, Brassard or Pageau. Which kind of sucks, but all of these guys are much easier to replace than Ceci or Methot

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Trade ceci for impact forward
Trade for a youngish top4D ufa (verbal agreement so as to not have to protect in expansion)
Trade hammond / sign condon for less money
Go the 7/3/1 route

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

Vegas very well could take Lazar a 3rd/4th line player for a expansion team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
At this point, I think 4-4 is the right choice.

Karlsson-Phaneuf-Methot-Ceci
Hoffman-Turris-Stone- one of Brassard/Dzingel

Exposed guys that might appeal to LV:
Ryan -> might be appealing as a high profile player, but age and contract likely means he gets passed by
Dzingel/Brassard -> Nice young forward that can play in the top 6 without looking out of place or a Vet top 6 center that's on a good contract.
Smith -> utility player and a vet that can play anywhere in the lineup.
Pageau -> Good, young 3rd line center. Limited upside though
Lazar -> struggling young player looking like he'll top out as a 3rd line winger. Might still have value, but unlikely to be grabbed ahead of others.
Wideman -> Been a valuable bottom pair Dman who media have suggested might be a target. Is he more of a target than other teams 4th or 5th D though?

If White comes in and plays well after finishing up his college season, we might end up being less hesitant to lose a forward like Dzingel too.

I don't think we can risk relying on one of Claesson, Englund, Wideman or Chabot to play in our top 4 next year. There also could be a flood of teams looking to acquire a top 4 Dman after the expansion draft (teams that lost one), and we could explore moving a dman at that point if one of the above show they are ready for top 4 Duties.

Last edited:

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
At this point, I think 4-4 is the right choice.

Karlsson-Phaneuf-Methot-Ceci
Hoffman-Turris-Stone-Brassard

Exposed guys that might appeal to LV:
Ryan -> might be appealing as a high profile player, but age and contract likely means he gets passed by
Dzingel -> Nice young forward that can play in the top 6 without looking out of place.
Smith -> utility player and a vet that can play anywhere in the lineup.
Pageau -> Good, young 3rd line center. Limited upside though
Lazar -> struggling young player looking like he'll top out as a 3rd line winger. Might still have value, but unlikely to be grabbed ahead of others.
Wideman -> Been a valuable bottom pair Dman who media have suggested might be a target. Is he more of a target than other teams 4th or 5th D though?

If White comes in and plays well after finishing up his college season, we might end up being less hesitant to lose a forward like Dzingel too.

I don't think we can risk relying on one of Claesson, Englund, Wideman or Chabot to play in our top 4 next year. There also could be a flood of teams looking to acquire a top 4 Dman after the expansion draft (teams that lost one), and we could explore moving a dman at that point if one of the above show they are ready for top 4 Duties.

That's what i said numerous time. 4-4 is probably the right choice now. We don't have elite player in front and we need to keep an establish defensive corp. With the possible addition of Chabot it will only streghten our corp.

But.. it would suck to lose a guy like Smith or Pageau. With the way they play right now they are appealing. Anyway, we are going to lose a player we would probably like to keep. If they take Wideman, i think it is the base case scenario for us.

Dorion said something interesting in an interview on tsn 1200 couple of month ago. They are doing every possible solution regarding the expansion draft. But they also do it for the other 29th team. Which mean they also target player for other team who might be available for potential trade.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
4 and 4

I guess it boils down to being willing to lose one of

Smith, Pageau, Dzingel or Wideman... (most obvious choices).

over

one of Ceci or Methot

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we traded Ceci or Methot for a good forward and went 7 and 3

I assume we would keep

Stone, Turris, Hoffman, Brassard, Smith, Forward X, and let's say Pageau over Dzingel

We would then lose

Dzingel or Wideman or possibly one of the others like Ryan (unlikely)

If they take Wideman we'd be down 2 D from our current lineup.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Might have been asked before, but how does Smith's limited NTC affect exposing him in the draft?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Turris, Hoffman, Stone, Brassard, Smith, Dzingel, Pageau

Karlsson, Phaneuf, Ceci

Strike a deal with Vegas for them not to take Methot and we're set.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Turris, Hoffman, Stone, Brassard, Smith, Dzingel, Pageau

Karlsson, Phaneuf, Ceci

Strike a deal with Vegas for them not to take Methot and we're set.

Sounds easy.

What kind of deal would that be? Methot has good value to them to trade or keep.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Trade ceci for impact forward
Trade for a youngish top4D ufa (verbal agreement so as to not have to protect in expansion)
Trade hammond / sign condon for less money
Go the 7/3/1 route

I think that the team obviously wants to keep both Ceci and Methot but if one of them is made available, he will be taken. Therefore I expect that Ceci might be traded for a young Dman who is not eligible for the draft, or packaged with a forward for a better forward.

I think they keep both Condon and Hammond as they could lose a goaltender.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I think even if Phanuef was exposed he would be taken so were pretty much screwed. Basically I think we will go into the off season with 4 D and probably trade one before expansion draft.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'll stick with the 7 - 3 - 1 strategy.

1. Stone
2. Turris
3. Hoffman
4. Smith
5. Brassard
6. Dzingel
7. Lazar
- exposes Pageau, Pyatt, Kelly, Neil, Wingels & Ryan

- IMO Lazar has more value than all of these players being exposed with the exception of Ryan who I think will be too expensive for LV. I think it's more likely LV takes a defenceman over a forward from us & my guess is that they will take Wideman.

1. Karlsson
2. Ceci
3. Phaneuf - I'd prefer to protect Methot
- exposes Methot, Wideman, Claesson & Boroweicki

- it's quite likely that if Ottawa loses a defencemen to LV that either Chabot, Claesson or Englund will replace that defenceman on the roster.
Englund could eventually replace Methot some day & Chabot could replace Claesson or Wideman on the roster if either are taken.

1. Condon
- exposes Anderson & Hammond

- I think Anderson is too old for LV & hope they instead take Hammond off our hands but my guess is they go after Wideman.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I think even if Phanuef was exposed he would be taken so were pretty much screwed. Basically I think we will go into the off season with 4 D and probably trade one before expansion draft.

Would they want to pay him the 7 mil for another 4 years though? Figure they would try to keep as little salary/cap hit possible and go after major fish in the FA market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad