Who will the Avs actually take at #2?

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
But we have no idea if Avs made the right call in MacKinnon or not. It's too early.

From 2011 we know for sure that Landeskog was the right pick over Huberdeau and Larsson.

I agree. Defenseman take a lot longer to develop so it'll be a while until we see what Seth is totally capable of. As of now it looks great due to how much success Mack had last season. If Jones becomes a phenom on defense and with our defense the way it is and has been, that pick will be looked at in question by some. I have faith that their will be options to improve our defense soon. It can start by drafting Hanifin :sarcasm:

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I agree. Defenseman take a lot longer to develop so it'll be a while until we see what Seth is totally capable of. As of now it looks great due to how much success Mack had last season. If Jones becomes a phenom on defense and with our defense the way it is and has been, that pick will be looked at in question by some. I have faith that their will be options to improve our defense soon. It can start by drafting Hanifin :sarcasm:

the thing is almost all the elite forwards are top 5 picks where most of the d are outside the top 5 or steals because as you said they take longer to develop and aren't as sure of a thing.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Its only been a year but I'm confident in saying MacKinnon was the best choice. I don't really care what Jones does or doesn't do, I believe in MacKinnon's talent.

Barring some kind of freak injury I'm gonna agree. Mackinnon has shown he has the talent to succeed in the NHL, Jones might become that great dman they projected him to be, but I wouldn't be upset about it if I were Avs management.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Old thread brought up. Didn't make any outlandish proclamations.
146605.jpg

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
always interesting to look at old threads.

glad you guys didn't get who you wanted

What are you talking about?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=932929

"If anyone has ever seen the movie "They Live" with 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper, you'll know what I'm talking about here. I may be one of the only people in the world who watches Adam Larsson play and think "I don't get it". I think he's a good player and if all goes well for him, should be a top-4 guy but I just don't see the 'star potential' with this player."

heh

I don't think we're going to get Larsson anymore. Sherman and co. were adamant: #2 will play next season. Larsson made it clear that he's staying in SEL.

Avs will go with a forward. To me, the draft board should read:

RNH
Couturier
Huberdeau
Landeskog

I want size, so I'm hoping for Couter or Hubes. Landeskog would suck - he WONT be an elite NHL player.

Can I quote you on this, please?? Prepare to be surprised.

Landeskog's impact will be like RJ Umberger's on the low end and like Rich Tocchet's on the high end. In my mind, the only concern is whether his health will hold up over time. So yeah, he's probably not going to develop into a top 10 NHL scorer but I think you can expect his contributions to be along the lines of guys like Shane Doan and Brenden Morrow. Are those guys "elite"?? I guess it depends on your definition of the word. I think there's a reason why they always seem to be selections for Canada's Olympic teams.

Landeskog is already ahead of guys like Doan and Morrow when they were 21 years old.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I've read back the thread and see a lot of Landy and Huberdeau are the same player but Huberdeau has more upside talk. Just wondering how the two compare now and why is Landy the better player. Not to rehash old things but to help me understand evaluating two supposed similar players in a draft class vs reality 3 years later.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I've read back the thread and see a lot of Landy and Huberdeau are the same player but Huberdeau has more upside talk. Just wondering how the two compare now and why is Landy the better player. Not to rehash old things but to help me understand evaluating two supposed similar players in a draft class vs reality 3 years later.

Personally, I never really thought they were similar and never understood where that came from. Landeskog was always going to end up a power forward and Huberdeau was always going to end up an offensive force with lots of dangle, kind of like an Alex Tanguay type. That's the way I always saw it, anyways.

I still have a lot of confidence that Huberdeau is going to get there at some point as long as he's got the right attitude. If he would have been brought into a really good situation, much like Tanguay was way back when or say Tomas Hertl, if you want a present day example, he'd probably have a much easier time.

But right now that Florida team isn't constructed to allow for a lot of growth without severe growing pains. The veterans they do have on the team, aren't the teams' best players, not even close. So kids like Huberdeau, Barkov (I'm not convinced and never have been that Barkov will be all that) and Bjugstad have to carry the load because the veterans are mostly complimentary 2nd line players at best. It's been like that in Edmonton too, where Hall, Eberle and RNH have had to be the top guns for years without any insulation.

Meanwhile, you have a team like the Avs who at least had Stastny to lean on while the kids developed on the 2nd + 3rd line. Same deal with bringing the Sedins along behind Markus Naslund, Brendan Morrow and that other guy who's name I forget because he sucks.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For me, I always scout based on highest talented player. I haven't read my posts in this thread, but I believe I wanted Huberdeau knowing the Avs will select Landeskog. Going back I still think Huberdeau is more talented than Landeskog, but Gabriel's game fits the NHL better. And also remember, Huberdeau was coming off one of the best performances we will ever see in the Memorial Cup, it was even better than MacKinnon's. Even though he only scored 7 points in 4 games, I remember how dominant he was with the puck and every one of his points was absolutely clutch.

Something about Larsson's personality never struck with me, never saw that desire to get better.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Also, if I recall correctly, the WJCs changed things in a big way. Couturier's stock went way, way down, and Huberdeau's skyrocketed. The Worlds has a huge impact on scouts, oftentimes too much of one IMO.

A lot of teams passed on Couturier and are likely regretting it now. Scheifele's emergence has really surprised me--I thought the Jets made a real ***** on that one but he's quite good. Just HOW good remains to be seen but he's definitely an impact player in the making. We haven't yet seen what Strome can do, and Zibanejad is currently busting in Ottawa.

Certainly not regretting Colorado's selection in that draft one bit. IMO they got the best player.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Also, if I recall correctly, the WJCs changed things in a big way. Couturier's stock went way, way down, and Huberdeau's skyrocketed. The Worlds has a huge impact on scouts, oftentimes too much of one IMO.

A lot of teams passed on Couturier and are likely regretting it now. Scheifele's emergence has really surprised me--I thought the Jets made a real ***** on that one but he's quite good. Just HOW good remains to be seen but he's definitely an impact player in the making. We haven't yet seen what Strome can do, and Zibanejad is currently busting in Ottawa.

Certainly not regretting Colorado's selection in that draft one bit. IMO they got the best player.

While I agree with your point, neither player or even Nugent Hopkins played WJC in their draft year.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Larsson would have been further along if Devils still had Larry Robinson. He knows how to develop defenders.

Right now it's looking like he's stalled, they can't have him in the AHL because he's not waiver exempt and the coach don't trust him. It's a bad spot for him.

I think it was in one of Friedmans 30 thoughts where a scout or someone else said about Larsson that he does things too slowly. What looked to be poise at one stage possibly was him not being able to process the game at a NHL speed.

I hope he'll get traded and at least get a shot at making it in the NHL.

Funny how Skellefteå's group of super talents on defense (Rundblad, Larsson and Erixon) all have had their struggles establishing themselves in the NHL.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Couturier just didn't really improve much in that draft year I think was the issue. People started to think he wasn't as good as they originally thought. Kinda a case of thinking someone's overrated so much that you end up underrating them.

Huberdeau had a great Mem Cup that year. Scored some big goals a lot like MacKinnon. That really boosted his value. Gave off the vibe, to me at least and I think probably others, that he was a big game player to go along with his skill set.

Even though Couts was kinda out of the top group on most peoples list by the time the draft rolled around, I had a hunch the Avs might pick him anyway, because I felt Pracey probably really liked his smarts, and I think they valued the seasons prior to draft years a lot more than most teams. Something that I believe Pracey or someone in the Avs organization actually brought up afterwards about how they evaluate prospects.

I was pleasantly surprised when they took Landy though. We had heard some whispers about their interest, but it seemed a little too good to be true, because he was exactly the type of player they needed, and that felt a little too needs based for the organization. Luckily their needs and the BPA coincided in this particular instance.

In the end I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have Couturier ranked too far behind Landy. History shows he definitely deserved to be.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

sens fans are still pretty high on zib. but they are pretty homer on their younger players.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
For me, I always scout based on highest talented player. I haven't read my posts in this thread, but I believe I wanted Huberdeau knowing the Avs will select Landeskog. Going back I still think Huberdeau is more talented than Landeskog, but Gabriel's game fits the NHL better. And also remember, Huberdeau was coming off one of the best performances we will ever see in the Memorial Cup, it was even better than MacKinnon's. Even though he only scored 7 points in 4 games, I remember how dominant he was with the puck and every one of his points was absolutely clutch.

Something about Larsson's personality never struck with me, never saw that desire to get better.

He doesn't seem confident in himself. If he is benched after a mistake or scratched due to a poor game he lets it get to him way too much.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Funny how Skellefteå's group of super talents on defense (Rundblad, Larsson and Erixon) all have had their struggles establishing themselves in the NHL.

Erixon has had some issues... mostly due to bouncing around (in many ways his fault) and then going to an organization that prefers to slow down a defenders development unless they are an extraordinary talent. Erixon is going to be best out of that group and be a very solid player for Columbus. He will take his lumps this year, but solidify himself in the NHL.

I wasn't around here back then, but I wanted the Landeskog/Siemens combo and was very happy with how the draft played out. Hindsight being 20/20 that may not have been the best combo, but I am very happy to have Landy on this team over anybody else in this draft. Edmonton did screw up though when they didn't send RNH down to juniors... they kid was mentally ready and talented enough, but not physically ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad