Speculation: Who will replace Marc Bergevin (Mod warning post #269)

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
I'd love Dale Tallon, but IIRC he had retired before the whole Florida/Gallant/Rowe fiasco, and only came back after that. With that in mind, I doubt he'd be looking for another challenge. Probably just helping Florida and will go back to retirement sooner rather than later.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Pierre McGuire as President and Julien Brisebois as GM

Pierre McGuire has no experience of any kind that I know of for him to be considered for President.

It's mostly an organizational, financial and negotiation position.

member 256847

You need to understand there is a slim chance of Bergevin being fired. There is no reason for Molson to wait until the end of the year and allow Bergevin to make more trades. If it was going to happen, then it would be done by now and an interim GM named.
In Molson's eyes, Marc said he is a "fighter" ... the Habs are a joke. Not just to us fans here but to the whole league. I've never seen a team where everything they do brings a perplexing look from the media. If Bergevin just did the opposite of all his ideas, the Habs would be pretty solid.

Also why did he give Julien such a long F-ing contract? What benefit .... guy gets fired and we give him way too many years. Where was his favourite "bridge" contract lmao..

I don’t know, on one hand there’s a lot of years left on Bergevin’s contract, but on the other hand I don’t remember the overall fanbase sentiment to be this aggressive and fedup towards a GM, not even with Houle or Gauthier. There’s some serious hate thrown around for this guy, not good for business. Pressure’s on Molson right now for sure.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
It just feels like it will be Roy, I'm a huge Roy fan (see avatar) but I'm also not sure about him as GM. One thing's for sure he has a winner no BS attitude. I just feel that's what they'll do, he ticks all the boxes and is currently available, but is he the best option? Who knows.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don’t know, on one hand there’s a lot of years left on Bergevin’s contract, but on the other hand I don’t remember the overall fanbase sentiment to be this aggressive and fedup towards a GM, not even with Houle or Gauthier. There’s some serious hate thrown around for this guy, not good for business. Pressure’s on Molson right now for sure.

Thing is, this is such a massive cluster****, the giant heap of management contracts that needs to be thrown out like yesterday's trash. This purge will come at an hefty cost.

Bergevin will be the first to go, and this gesture will surely not be about getting better management, but more about PR and calming the storm from both fans and media.

The gong show will live on though, and imo, it will take some time before the rest of the foxhole crew will get the axe. Molson is also getting the pressure, as you said, and imo, he'll just try to save face, put in a figurehead while the rest will remain. Whether this dissolves slowly or we see an overnight clean sweep, the cost is gonna be huge. And that's where IMO, Molson will have to step down from at least overseeing the hockey operations, if not the entire presidency itself.

Reactions: Rapala

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Reporting in to inform Mr.Molson that I am available and ready to start building the fourth Montreal Canadiens dynasty.You can contact me here via PM.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Just give me the phones for 5 minutes is all I ask. Good lord the things I would do to this club. Price and weber would be out in a milisecond and the rebuild could commence instead of being postponed for years :laugh:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Julien Brisebois is the safe choice. Patrick Roy will never truly be forgiven.

I wonder if Bob Gainey would come back as president of the team. Not a suggestion, but an observation that the Canadiens like to recycle.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Question.

I actually "get" the idea of a French speaking coach and gm. Sports is entertainment and communication is a part of it so it is an important component. So it bothers me less than most.

BUT. Do you guys feel a scenario like this would be acceptable to those who absolutely oppose the idea of a non French gm/coach:

- English speaking only gm
- French speaking assistant gm
- all major press conferences = both present to answer questions in both languages

Thoughts? Could this work in this market?

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I'd love Dale Tallon, but IIRC he had retired before the whole Florida/Gallant/Rowe fiasco, and only came back after that. With that in mind, I doubt he'd be looking for another challenge. Probably just helping Florida and will go back to retirement sooner rather than later.

Dale Tallon was actually forced out of the GM position. They wanted to go in another direction so they gave him a promotion to behind the scenes. Then when the proverbial shit hit the fan, they brought him back about a year later.

At least that's how I remeber it.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
who cares?

it cant get any worse!

Youppi, or a monkey banging on a drum, and i would still be happy

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Well this summer I would have traded a 2nd for Marchessault, reisgned Radulov to a 4 year deal at 8 million AAV, signed Markov for 1 year 6 million AAV (no bonuses as incentives), not signed Alzner, traded Plekanec and Shaw to create cap space, even if it meant giving up some draft picks, and put Galchenyuk at center. Oh and when Weber was injured at the starting of the year, I wouldn't have played him until he had healed, having seen too many athletes try to play through injuries only to have their careers cut short by doing so.

Does that make me a good candidate? Or were these just no brainer moves that everyone would have done, and thus if anyone of us were GM we'd be in a much better situation that what Bergevin's gotten us into?

Pacioretty Marchessault Radulov
Scherbak Galchenyuk Gallagher
Lehkonen Danault Byron
Carr Hudon Deslaurier

Markov Weber
Sergachev Petry
Mete Jerabek/Morrow/Benn

Price
Montoya
What fairy tale land are you living in that a 30 goal scoring center on a 750K contract goes for a 2nd round pick?

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Question.

I actually "get" the idea of a French speaking coach and gm. Sports is entertainment and communication is a part of it so it is an important component. So it bothers me less than most.

BUT. Do you guys feel a scenario like this would be acceptable to those who absolutely oppose the idea of a non French gm/coach:

- English speaking only gm
- French speaking assistant gm
- all major press conferences = both present to answer questions in both languages

Thoughts? Could this work in this market?

IMO, we could get away with the opposite, bilingual GM and English-only assistant. Not that I think he's available (and assuming he is English-only), but Kyle Dubas would be a great add to this organization but he's already an assistant GM so I doubt he'd come here for that.

Anyhow, really comes down to our choices and in my opinion, the best GM candidate at the moment happens to be a French Canadian.

Koivu_habs#1

Aug 3, 2006
Aylmer, PQ
Potential candidates:

Laval:
Dominique Ducharme gets my vote
Joel Bouchard
André Tourigny
Philippe Boucher

President:
Stéphane Quintal gets my vote
Pat Brisson but I don't think he would leave his agency
Patrick Roy

GM:
Julien Brisebois gets my vote
Trevor Timmins, I have a feeling he would at least get an interview
Larry Carrière, he gets an interview as well

But we need to look at Assistant Coaches as well. I'M DONE With JJ Daignault. Potential candidates, Joel Bouchard, Bob Hartley, Pascal Vincent, Philippe Boucher, André Tourigny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad