Speculation: Who Will Play the Most # of Games Next Year As Our 2c?

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I think pirri will get the 2C spot and thrive and put up 40-50 points and be fine on D and people will still complain

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 4m
So, @ESPNChiPowers and I asked Q about Saad maybe playing C, and it looks like he's got first dibs on second line center role. #Blackhawks

interesting

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 4m
So, @ESPNChiPowers and I asked Q about Saad maybe playing C, and it looks like he's got first dibs on second line center role. #Blackhawks

interesting
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said Saturday he planned to give Saad a chance to win the spot when training camp begins in September.

“[Saad] is probably the guy we’re thinking maybe grab that spot, would be an option,” Quenneville said while talking to the media during the Blackhawks convention. “It’s something we talked about as a staff late in the year. It’s something going into the season we could be exploring.
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bla...6619/saad-to-get-chance-at-second-line-center

Pirri should be given a fair shot at 2C. I trust Q but I dont get the rationale behind this. If Q doesn't see Pirri as a viable option for whatever reason, Hawks should trade him.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Q talking about Saad at 2C may just be nothing more than convention blather or maybe now that Q has his new paper he's feeling a little frisky and tweaking StanBo about his Pirri talk.

But, the idea is intriguing. Saad showed last season that he is a pretty good defensive player, and he has pretty good size and the speed to play a 200 foot game. Of course, just because Q said they are thinking about trying him there doesn't mean he gets the job. Saad will compete in training camp with Pirri and others, but if he wins the job - that would be great for the Hawks.

It doesn't mean Pirri goes back to Rockford either because maybe Pirri wins a roster spot as a wing. Pirri may be better suited as a wing anyway if he is weak defensively. Or maybe he plays 3rd or 4th line center until he becomes a better two way player.

The bottom line is that if Saad can play center adequately, it gives Q more options which is a good thing, and one of those options is getting the best offensive players in the top-6 and putting the best playmakers (Toews and Kane) on separate lines - something Q may be leery to do with Pirri playing 2C:

Bickell-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Saad-Kane

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
Hopefully it's Pirri which means he's playing well enough to stay in the lineup. I have a feeling it's going to be a revolving door at that position all year though.

LarmerSavardSecord

Jun 12, 2010
Wicker Park
Despite the recent talk-up of Pirri by Bowman, I never got the sense they believe in the guy. It seems like they really want someone, anyone, to beat him out for the the 2C role.

Never thought about Saad at 2C, but I can see why they might want to give it a try. Assuming Bickell is a top-6 forward now, it's a way to get more ES minutes to the Hawk's most talented young player. Probably won't happen, but the hawks are in the position to experiment.

I'm going to vote for LeBlah. Seems like he's similar to Pirri in talent/skill-set, but is a Bowman/current scouting staff find. He's their guy, and when it's close, the current regime goes with their guy most of the time.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
some food for thought

LeBlanc has a 2Way Contract 13/14 and a 1Way contract for 14/15

LeBlanc will get Pirris spot in RFD while Pirri plays in the NHL - for the Hawks or he will get traded

Buckst3r

Jul 26, 2013
Dallas, GA
Pirri. I hear they're trying Saad at the spot however it would be better to keep him at left wing with Handzus centering the 4th line. Then again it could be the other way around. We'll see how Handzus recovers from his surgeries. ;)

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Q gets another "honeymoon" period where I'm not going to complain about the things he tries because he just brought us a 2nd Cup.

But for the life of me I can't see much benefit to this "Saad at C" experiment.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Despite the recent talk-up of Pirri by Bowman, I never got the sense they believe in the guy. It seems like they really want someone, anyone, to beat him out for the the 2C role. Never thought about Saad at 2C, but I can see why they might want to give it a try. Assuming Bickell is a top-6 forward now, it's a way to get more ES minutes to the Hawk's most talented young player. Probably won't happen, but the hawks are in the position to experiment.

I'm going to vote for LeBlah. Seems like he's similar to Pirri in talent/skill-set, but is a Bowman/current scouting staff find. He's their guy, and when it's close, the current regime goes with their guy most of the time.

My thoughts as well.

I hope I’m wrong on this but Pirri, it seems, has already been tried and judged by Q… and it’s not favourable. We’ve seen this before from Q: On one hand we have Saad and Kruger, who were pencilled into the line-up before they proved anything at the NHL level, and on then there’s the likes of Stalberg, Jayes and possibly Pirri now, non of whom gets much respect from the head coach.

That said, I’ll stay tuned in to see how it unfolds. It occurs to me that Saad is a winger, but must admit the prospect of Saad at 2nd or 3rd line center is an intriguing one…. for a few reasons, especially his hockey smarts, good size and 2 way game.

As for your thoughts on LeBlanc. You could have something there as well. Pirri needs to do something special early this fall, I reckon or he could get shuffled back down (or even traded) before Christmas.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If Saad can show he can handle C, there is no reason not to try him.
I think it should go to 1 of Kruger, or Pirri though. Outside chance of LeBlanc.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Saad is basically a Patrick Marleau clone, he has all the tools to be a very successful center.

I love me some Patrick Marleau, but even he's better as a winger. It's easier to burn past defenders on the outside than it is in the middle.

I think Saad has all the tools to succeed as a center, but I just don't see the need to try him there right now. I'd be much more interested in seeing Pirri, Drew Loblaw, or Kruger try to center the 2nd line.

Whatever. I guess some extra competition for the job won't hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad