Speculation: Who will land C Antti Suomela?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jarmo seems to be able to attract the Finnish players over to the NHL, wouldn't be surprised if he's in on him.

He and Sedlak would battle it out for 3/4C

rinne

Oct 10, 2016
Tampere
I think there are too high expectations for Suomela in this thread. He is not ready for playing 2C at NHL without some sort of miracle in his summer training.

Suomela is a great offensive player. But it seems that his physicality is nowhere near ready for big role in NHL. It wasn't coincidence that Suomela played as 3C in JYP this season. Even though the centers in front of him were Jarkko Immonen and Juha-Pekka Hytönen. Good, even great players in FEL but nothing that special in international hockey scale. Suomela's physicality needs to improve if he wishes to play in NHL. Another problem is that you do nothing with Suomela in your fourth line. He is at his best in offence. So he should play as middle-6 center to be useful.

I wouldn't be surprised if Suomela makes an NHL-career. I would be surprised if he plays in big role as soon as next season. AHL wouldn't be a surprise.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd read Buffalo was potentially interested in him and Julius Juntilla at times this season. Is there anything to him being a bit like a later-day Tommi Santala but watching some Liiga action, I'm not sure that's fair.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think there are too high expectations for Suomela in this thread. He is not ready for playing 2C at NHL without some sort of miracle in his summer training.

Suomela is a great offensive player. But it seems that his physicality is nowhere near ready for big role in NHL. It wasn't coincidence that Suomela played as 3C in JYP this season. Even though the centers in front of him were Jarkko Immonen and Juha-Pekka Hytönen. Good, even great players in FEL but nothing that special in international hockey scale. Suomela's physicality needs to improve if he wishes to play in NHL. Another problem is that you do nothing with Suomela in your fourth line. He is at his best in offence. So he should play as middle-6 center to be useful.

I wouldn't be surprised if Suomela makes an NHL-career. I would be surprised if he plays in big role as soon as next season. AHL wouldn't be a surprise.
This is why I have a feeling he won't end up signing with Columbus. Jarmo is usually pretty blunt with his potential signees. He wouldn't promise Gavrikov a spot(combined with Gavrikov wanting to play in the Olympics) so he stayed in the KHL. So I could see Jarmo telling him he can come in and compete for a 3/4C spot with the guys already on the roster (Stenlund, Sedlak, Jenner, Foligno) and it's very possible that he ends up in the minors having to earn a callup. It really depends on what Suomela wants. If he wants immediate NHL time and lots of it, he's not gonna be coming to Columbus.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Jarmo seems to be able to attract the Finnish players over to the NHL, wouldn't be surprised if he's in on him.

He and Sedlak would battle it out for 3/4C

Sedlak shouldnt even be in the conversation for 3C. If that’s where he begins the season, this summer was an epic failure.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Sedlak shouldnt even be in the conversation for 3C. If that’s where he begins the season, this summer was an epic failure.
Players take steps forward and back all the time. Sedlak is most definitely in the running for 3C next season. You have absolutely no idea what he's doing this off-season or how he's going to come into camp. After last off-season Torts had extremely high hopes for him. I'm not writing him off yet.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Players take steps forward and back all the time. Sedlak is most definitely in the running for 3C next season. You have absolutely no idea what he's doing this off-season or how he's going to come into camp. After last off-season Torts had extremely high hopes for him. I'm not writing him off yet.

You're right, I have no idea what Sedsy is doing this offseason. But he isn't a middle-six center in the NHL. Please be a bit more realistic, here. We'll be in major trouble if that's where he slots to begin the year.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Would be a good pickup for Anaheim with Kesler out and Grant might be leaving.

But we all know BM is gonna pick up Polak instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad