Who Will Kings Lose to Seattle?

Who will the Kings Lose to Seattle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I have to give semi props to Blake for the Kings being setup so well for the expansion draft. Whether by design, lucky or simply suckage. There is zero reason for anyone to be concerned as a Kings fans leading up to the expansion draft and who we might/will lose. Go ahead....take someone. Heck, take two if you want lol ;)

I guess sentimentally i'd be bummed if Quick was taken. That would be weird. But i'd be completely shocked if they did take him -- even simply to trade him to a contender (extremely unlikely scenario).

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Ultimately, i think they go Grundstrom over Clague....but definitely one of those two imo.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I chose AA, but it could be Grundstrom. I thought Clague was a no-brainer and took him in the draft I did, but I'm not so sure after running the sim.

It's not Clague so much as his status. Seattle is only allowed to take 10 players who are not under contract for 21-22 and Clague/AA do not satisfy that requirement. To draft some of the higher cap guys Seattle will obviously need to offset salary with younger unprotected players, and almost all the ones who are worth a look are unsigned RFAs - the guys teams want to protect are signed already. Any unsigned UFAs also eat into the requirement to draft 20 under contract next year if they go that route.

I think both AA and Clague are slightly better value picks than Grundstrom, but the gap is so small that Seattle surely wouldn't miss a free agent they really want (or need for cap reasons) over it. It was actually the most difficult requirement for me to meet while running the sim.

Reactions: andys

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Grundstrom probably the best fit for an expansion team, but there's a shortage of quality D-men. I don't see Clague being appealing, but I supposed there's an outside chance they'd take Maata.

No matter what though, this expansion draft won't hurt us very much. Not like previous seasons. My butt still hurts from trading Vopat, Yachmenev, and Timmonen to Nashville so they would select Chabot.

Reactions: andys

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Grundstrom probably the best fit for an expansion team, but there's a shortage of quality D-men. I don't see Clague being appealing, but I supposed there's an outside chance they'd take Maata.

No matter what though, this expansion draft won't hurt us very much. Not like previous seasons. My butt still hurts from trading Vopat, Yachmenev, and Timmonen to Nashville so they would select Chabot.

I think it actually Vopat and Timonen were traded there so they wouldn't select Gary Galley. Jeebus :laugh: Chabot was the "throw away" selection.

I almost forgot Yachmenev got dealt there too. Ouch. I don't think LA got any return back except good old "future considerations".

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'm on the fence between Clague and Lizotte. Clague definitely won't be one of Seattle's six best defenders and I don't believe he's waivers-exempt next season. So are they planning on flipping him? Would they play him? In Lizotte or Grundstrom, you get an effective bottom-six player that can actually contribute for the foreseeable future.

One thing I didn't realize is that Strand played 13 games for LA this season. As a result, he's no longer waiver-eligible next season either. I wonder if LA did that on purpose to lessen his appeal? I would imagine that Seattle would love to prioritize players they can draft and place in the minors, if the talent level is relatively even.

I think the only player Seattle could draft from LA who doesn't require waivers is Drake Rymsha?

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
I would think it would be someone who surely can crack an NHL lineup and produce this season, not a project. AA should be the guy to go unless they are desperate for D and Maata is taken.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Clague not yet proving to be an NHL player makes it tricky since he has to pass through waivers if he is sent down. Seattle would be taking him with the belief he is on the opening night roster. Grundstrom is young and looks to be an NHL player for sure so it is a little safer.

AA only needs to be qualified though and could be flipped at the TDL possibly. I think he'd be intriguing.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Lizotte, then people grumble when he's putting up 30-40 points for the Kraken.
Lizotte and Wagner would both be good picks for them. They both have more to prove and havent been able to get it done here.
I think they go with AA or Grundstrom though.

Token

May 15, 2019
Since Fox and Faust are not an option (do we ever need a rebuild in that department).

And we are offering up either AHL players, 4th line forwards, UFA pickups that 29 teams hard-passed on past couple years, and 6-8 depth D …

Im betting it will be a selection that satisfies one of their technical draft requirements, rather than merit of the player chosen.

Maatta and Quick could be options if they are trying to reach the ~ $49M minimum.

The random rules Seattle:

Must select 30 players.
14 Forwards
9 Defensemen
3 Goalies
Remaining 4 can be any position.

20 players must be under contract for 2021/22 season.

Must draft an aggregate minimum of contracts of $48.9M

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I said Lemieux for two reason.....

1) Because it'd be annoying to lose a guy we spent an asset to acquire (4th rounder?).

2) Because Seattle has to concern themselves with the Cap Floor. In a perfect world, it'd be great to go around collecting nothing but prospects. In reality, The Kraken have to reach (approximately?) $60 million worth of salaries. Reaching $60 million in salaries cannot be achieved by collecting 30 Clagues. I'm just sayin'.....

Token

May 15, 2019
Is it $48.9 million??? I stand corrected!!!

That’s the must-draft minimum 20 players with 2021/22 contracts requirement. Gotta add up to more than $48.9M (60% of the cap)

They still have to hit the floor at ~ $60M by season opener.

Reactions: Basilisk

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
I said Lemieux for two reason.....

1) Because it'd be annoying to lose a guy we spent an asset to acquire (4th rounder?).

2) Because Seattle has to concern themselves with the Cap Floor. In a perfect world, it'd be great to go around collecting nothing but prospects. In reality, The Kraken have to reach (approximately?) $60 million worth of salaries. Reaching $60 million in salaries cannot be achieved by collecting 30 Clagues. I'm just sayin'.....

I think AA at 23 points will probably be right around the same cap hit after tendering the RFA as Brendan's $1.5 compared to the 11 points that he chipped in.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I keep looking at that list and there’s only one guy with any actual value, then a bunch of bottom line or replacement level players. It’s gonna hurt like hell to see Quick with another jersey on, but he’s the long neck that sticks out, especially with the news about Carey Price’s injury issues. Maybe Athanasiou gets picked, but he’s already a journeyman and he hasn’t even made it to UFA status. Lemieux brings grit and sandpaper, so that’s the other possibility.
If you’re Ron Francis and you’re looking at a list of guys that won’t be on your roster past training camp except one guy who also has trade value, you take the guy who can make your team and has value and that’s Jonathan Quick.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
I think it actually Vopat and Timonen were traded there so they wouldn't select Gary Galley. Jeebus :laugh: Chabot was the "throw away" selection.

I almost forgot Yachmenev got dealt there too. Ouch. I don't think LA got any return back except good old "future considerations".

As I recall, the deal was for Nashville to select Chabot, since that would make the Kings goalies exempt from the next expansion draft, and the Kings wanted to keep both Fiset and Storr for at least a couple more years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad