Who will have the brighter future

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainBure

Sep 3, 2004
which of these players will be the best player in a few years,assuming they all hit the nhl.

Lauri Korpikoski
Kris Chucko
Kyle Chipchura

I'm going with an order of Korp,Chucko,Chipchura,but i ahvent seen any of them play and im only basing it off scouting reports,draft reports and potential ratings.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
I honestly have no clue, but I think Chucko is going to suprise alot of people. He can play a very good power forward game, just needs work on his skating.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
It's hard to say. Christer Rockstrom (arguable the best international scout) was advising Sather to pick-up Korpikoski at 6 if Montoya was gone. He must see something that we don't...

Chipchura I don't think will be amazing. I believe a 50-60 point guy.

If Chucko can develop into the power forward of his potential, he will be the best...

Only time will tell.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Prucha73 said:
I think all 3 will end up good 3rd line players
I can't speak for the other two, but Chucko certainly has a higher upside then a 3rd line.

He had more points as a 17 year old in Salmon Arm then teammate Travis Zajac did at the same age.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
MrMastodonFarm said:
I can't speak for the other two, but Chucko certainly has a higher upside then a 3rd line.

He had more points as a 17 year old in Salmon Arm then teammate Travis Zajac did at the same age.

Stats are a very small part of prospect evaluation. They can be very misleading. Don't forget what league Chucko and Zajac played in. Also, did Zajac's point output jump when he was 18? I don't care enough to look it up, but i'd venture to guess it did.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Captain Conservative said:
Stats are a very small part of prospect evaluation. They can be very misleading. Don't forget what league Chucko and Zajac played in. Also, did Zajac's point output jump when he was 18? I don't care enough to look it up, but i'd venture to guess it did.
I never once said stats are a big part of prospect evaluation, I simply stated that Chucko has more points then Zajac did at the same age, in the same leauge, on the same team.

Yes, of course Zajac got more points as an 18 year old then he did as a 17 year old, but what is the point in that?

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I have seen all play, Chucko and Chipchura more than a few times, Korpikoski only once. Judging from what I've seen, I'd rank it like this:

#1 - Kyle Chipchura
#2 - Kris Chucko
#3 - Lauri Korpikoski

Let me note right away that there is virtually ZERO chance that Chipchura doesn't make the NHL, whereas Chucko and Korpikoski probobly too has work to do. Chucko needs to pick up on his skating and continue to evolve in college, and he's likely 3 more years away from the NHL. Korpikoski I don't know as much about, but to me he played awfully small out there, and I'd worry about him getting eaten up in the NHL or AHL, though by nature these Fins are awfully resilient.

Chipchura however I feel is going to end up being one of the best picks of the 2004 entry draft. Not only is this kid going to play, but his offensive skills have been underrated to the point where people have devauled his overall potential significently. For me, I think there is a small chance that Chipchura becomes a FIRST LINE centreman, rather than a third line man. I saw him play twice for Prince Albert where he displayed wonderful hands. Later on in the season I heard he slowed down significantly and had trouble rekindling his offense, but I'll chalk that up to just a poor second half, and I'm still on this kids side. I think he's going to score a lot more than people think next year. 40-50 goals maybe. Add in his intangibles and his overall maturity level, and you've got a hell of a package.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:

You are correct in saying Chucko's upside is higher than a third line guy. He probobly could be projected to be a Scott Mellanby-type of guy for the second line. That is probobly his 'top end', and overall I'd say he's got a pretty strong shot at the NHL in general (though he's a ways away).

However, I hope you're not assuming that Chucko has more potential than Zajac, because that would be plain wrong. While Chucko did get more points, a lot of those points came from Zajac's absolute dominance of virtually whatever team he was put up against. Not saying Chucko was a leech, but he got a lot of 'gimme's, that's all.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Jay Thompson said:
However, I hope you're not assuming that Chucko has more potential than Zajac, because that would be plain wrong.
More? No. Even? Probably

Like I said, I really like what I have seen from Kris Chucko, the one draw back in his game is his skating, but he has some fantastic hands and some great vision. And please, don't try to school me on what is just plain wrong, we all know stating the Ottawa Senators are a step down from the Canucks is "just plain wrong" :)

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
MrMastodonFarm said:
More? No. Even? Probably

Like I said, I really like what I have seen from Kris Chucko, the one draw back in his game is his skating, but he has some fantastic hands and some great vision. And please, don't try to school me on what is just plain wrong, we all know stating the Ottawa Senators are a step down from the Canucks is "just plain wrong" :)

Well, in this case I'm pretty confident I know more about the situation than you do, since I've actually seen the two play more than a few times. I'm the writer for the BCHL if you hadn't noticed.

It's not even 'Even', as you say. Zajac's potential is far, far ahead of Chucko's. I'm not slagging Chucko, I like him too, but he ought not to be compared to his former linemate, it isn't very fair to either of them.

Prucha73

MrMastodonFarm said:

They all have 2nd line upside, maybe even slight 1st line upside, but I think they are likely to end up on 3rd line for most of their careers.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Jay Thompson said:
I have seen all play, Chucko and Chipchura more than a few times, Korpikoski only once. Judging from what I've seen, I'd rank it like this:

#1 - Kyle Chipchura
#2 - Kris Chucko
#3 - Lauri Korpikoski

Let me note right away that there is virtually ZERO chance that Chipchura doesn't make the NHL, whereas Chucko and Korpikoski probobly too has work to do. Chucko needs to pick up on his skating and continue to evolve in college, and he's likely 3 more years away from the NHL. Korpikoski I don't know as much about, but to me he played awfully small out there, and I'd worry about him getting eaten up in the NHL or AHL, though by nature these Fins are awfully resilient.

Chipchura however I feel is going to end up being one of the best picks of the 2004 entry draft. Not only is this kid going to play, but his offensive skills have been underrated to the point where people have devauled his overall potential significently. For me, I think there is a small chance that Chipchura becomes a FIRST LINE centreman, rather than a third line man. I saw him play twice for Prince Albert where he displayed wonderful hands. Later on in the season I heard he slowed down significantly and had trouble rekindling his offense, but I'll chalk that up to just a poor second half, and I'm still on this kids side. I think he's going to score a lot more than people think next year. 40-50 goals maybe. Add in his intangibles and his overall maturity level, and you've got a hell of a package.
I gotta agree on Chipchura, he always scored back in Midget AAA, not at Heatley like levels or anything, but offense was never a problem, it should come back to him, much like it may with Dustin Boyd.

st_roland

MrMastodonFarm said:
I never once said stats are a big part of prospect evaluation, I simply stated that Chucko has more points then Zajac did at the same age, in the same leauge, on the same team.

Yes, of course Zajac got more points as an 18 year old then he did as a 17 year old, but what is the point in that?

By jump, I mean jump signifigantly, which would indicate a push forward in development. It remains to be seen how much Chucko will develop in the same time frame.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Rancid said:
It's hard to say. Christer Rockstrom (arguable the best international scout) was advising Sather to pick-up Korpikoski at 6 if Montoya was gone. He must see something that we don't...

Chipchura I don't think will be amazing. I believe a 50-60 point guy.

If Chucko can develop into the power forward of his potential, he will be the best...

Only time will tell.

I don't even think Chipchura will be a 50-60 point man. I think here we are looking at 30-40 points more around 40 points a year and captain material.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
It's not even 'Even', as you say. Zajac's potential is far, far ahead of Chucko's. I'm not slagging Chucko, I like him too, but he ought not to be compared to his former linemate, it isn't very fair to either of them.

Depends on what kind of potential your team is looking for. Zajac might be better offensively but in regards to physical play, grinding, toughness, leadership, defense and other aspects? I'd bet Chucko rates better in a number of other areas

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
PuckFan01 said:
Depends on what kind of potential your team is looking for. Zajac might be better offensively but in regards to physical play, grinding, toughness, leadership, defense and other aspects? I'd bet Chucko rates better in a number of other areas

Physical play? Yep. Grinding and toughness? Sure. Leadership? Maybe. Defense? Heck no. Other aspects such as what?

Zajac holds large edges in all around offense, puck handling, hands, speed, shot, playmaking, offensive awareness, defensive play, and doesn't give up much size to Chucko.

You have to understand, the difference between these two players (right now especially) is pretty great. It's like comparing Pavol Demitra (Zajac) to Scott Mellanby. While Chucko someday may be a better player, I would say the smart money right now is on Zajac being a far better player. That isn't to say Chucko won't be any good, but he is clearly not as good as Zajac is.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb here and project Korpikosky as a second line forward who will probably be better than Chucko or Chipchura. It's widely known that Chippy doesn't have the elite offensive skills and probably never will and Chucko seems to be your prototypical grinder despite his flashy numbers he racked up while playing with Zajac. Those are guys you build championship teams with certainly and they are guys you need. To me though Korpikosky has brings more to the table. He's a speedy player who has an impressive set of offensive skills while being defensively responsible. These are the reasons Rockstrom had Korpikosky rated so highly. I wouldn't expect to have him in the NHL for a few years though, he'll probably be tied up playing for TPS. On the topic of Zajac, well Zajac has a lot of progress to make yet but he has all the tools to be a first line player who can either finesse you or power right through you.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
I Say if they all hit the NHL they will go

Korpikoski - Another Offensive Player -(55-60 pts as well, reliable in the defensive end and should score consistenly around there)
Chucko - Offensive Player - (55-60 pts)
Chipchura - Two Way Forward - (35-45 pts regularly)

This is most of my opinon though string'd together with stats and scouting reports, ive only see Chipchura play though

Prucha73

Rancid said:
Korpikoski apparently has a perfect attitude...

Maybe Lehtinen with less defensive upside and more offensive upsided.

But besides his attitude everything else about Korpikoski is a big question mark.

Prucha73

I envision something like this:

Chipchura=Rolston/Malhotra
Korpikoski=PJ Axelsson
Chucko=Knuble/Scott Thornton

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Highest upside: Chucko
Low upside, but safe pick (i.e. definite NHLer even if its in a 4th line checking role): Chipchura

My thoughts on Korpikoski, I dunno. Never really seen him. But looks like a boom or bust type. Perhaps greates offensive potential of the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad