Who will have the biggest turnaround next season?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't expect a huge turn in EJ.

Varly + Staz imo. Landy will be decent, I don't expect a huge bounceback season though. My guess is 40-50 points.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I kinda hope EJ at least doubles his point production as well. Eight points shouldn't be asking for too much.

Forgot about EJ. EJ absolutely will have a big turnaround. If we pick Seth EJ will probably step it up a notch and play better offensively. He seems like a competitor to me.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Stastny and Jones will be a joint turn around.

Both guys need each other to succeed. Jones bounces back to a 25 Goal scorer next year, Stastny bounce back with a 20G, 45A 65 Point season.

I don't think we'll see a huge improvement from Varly or EJ next year tbh. EJ likely still wont be playing with Jones next year, and unless we sign a vet Dman like Scuderi or Streit he will probably still be stuck with Hunwick or Wilson, or another bottom pairing guy. He'll be better because of the new coach who will play him more effectively, but he wont be as good as we want him to be next year IMO.

And with Varly, he to will be better, but with our Defense still not being all that great, it will still be tough for him. I think he'll end up with a similar season stats wise to his first year here. Around a .915 sv% and 2.75ish GAA.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Jones will continue to suck, Varly and EJ are still showing some excellence but leave still lot to be desired.

Staz will be back to a 75+ point player if the new coach gives him the opportunity to succeed (=O-zone starts, some linemates who stay on their feet and can hit other things than posts)
I sincerely expect and hope Staz to light it up next season.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
EJ without question has a better offensive season. Not "breakout" but not as brutal as it's been. I refuse to believe David Jones plays as bad as he did again without putting a few more in the back of the net. I guess my breakout guess will be for Landy, might be more hope than anything. Probably returns to his rookie form, but thinking there might be a chance he has a big season and has a 27-30 goal season now that he'll have no worries about the concussion, 2nd season with the C, a whole new system in place etc.

I think overall the most likely thing to happen would be EJ, Landy, Jones, Staz all having decent seasons but nobody really having that break out season. Jones, EJ, Landy are all safe bets to bounce back from this year because they were pretty ugly at certain points. Nowhere to go but up kinda situations.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
1.Downie- because everyone forgets how awesome this guy is, and if he is back and healthy he will have a big impact on this team.

2.Landeskog- because he will get back to his rookie season form, which makes him an incredibly value winger. 20+ goals, 200+ hits, and a lot of smart hockey while being the emotional leader again.

3.EJ- because I think he is going to have a "Duchene" off-season and come back in the best shape he has ever been. Hopefully he doesn't get injured for 10 + game stretches again. He'll get back to 30 points. He'll get used on the left side of the PP and actually score some goals. Although he will still be paired with Hunwick come September. I also think he's going to really want to get back on that olympic team. This will be major motivation in itself for a bounce back year.

4.Stastny/McGinn/Jones- because they'll be reunited and used more favorably.

I'm not worried about Varly. I think he'll always be a little streaky, and in a short season it gets overblown. I don't think he'll ever be considered a workhorse and carry the team, but if he gets hot at the right time the Avs could go on a long wing streak.

Last edited:

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
So then the biggest turnaround is Jones, because he is the only player on that list who literally played with his head inside an ass.

True. I expected more out of EJ, Landy, Staz than Jones tho. I didn't expect him to be THAT bad but I don't think he ever scores 27 again. So while the others didn't play as bad, EJ and Landy did have down years and I think collectively had much higher expectations among fans.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Biggest turnaround? By far David Jones. I think he will use this season at motivation and come back and hit the 20-25 goal range next season. Not a great season overall, but compared to this season it will be worlds better.

I sure hope so. A mediocre year would be a big turn round for him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Relatively speaking, if Jones can break ten goals next year he'll have the biggest turnaround. That's how bad he was this year. He pretty much couldn't have had a worse season.

That said, I think Landy will have the most important turnaround. Stastny could as well, but I'm pretty confident in Landy doing so more than Staz. Even under a new coach. It's almost a linemates, and role question, rather than a coaching problem with him IMO.

djboos22

Aho (insert pun)
Jan 17, 2011
Palm Bay, FL
Came here to say Varly. I am really looking forward to see how he plays next year. If he still has his confidence then we should be in good shape in the net.

Landeskog will def pick it up too

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Its impossible to make this call at this moment in time. I think there are going to be some big time personel changes this offseason now that Roy and Sakic are in charge. Its fully conceivable that Stastny, Jones, EJ and Varly might not even be on the team next year. I don't expect all to be gone but they seem to be the best trade targets.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
There were several players that did not live up to expectations this season. Who do you predict will have a breakout season next season? A couple of players that come to mind are: EJ, Landy, Varly, D. Jones.

I think Varly will flourish under a (more) competent defensive core. I'm hoping that a new coach along with a fresh new season and hopefully some draft picks will make an improvement in our defense.

Downie.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think Stastny gets back in the 70 point range under Roy.

Not with wingers like Palushaj or David Jones.

If Avs don't go after FA forwards this is what the roster will look like up front.

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
Palushaj-Stastny-Jones

Stastny will be lucky to get near 50 points playing 3rd line minutes with those wingers.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Not with wingers like Palushaj or David Jones.

If Avs don't go after FA forwards this is what the roster will look like up front.

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
Palushaj-Stastny-Jones

Stastny will be lucky to get near 50 points playing 3rd line minutes with those wingers.

I will be very shocked to see that forward group entering next season. There will be at least 2 to 3 moves (trades, UFA, etc) that include players in the top 9. Roy and Sakic know this group failed last season, they won't enter the season with the same guys.

I really think the only locks are Duchene, PAP, Landy, ROR (only because we can't trade him), and Downie. Stastny might get traded, McGinn as well though I think we keep him, Palushaj will be replaced by a UFA, and Jones might get bought out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad