Who will feed the Kraken?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Honestly I like Jake Muzzin and purposely 'exposed' him to generate discussion. A little devil's advocate. (I liked Kadri more then Bozak, that never stopped me either!) Muzzin's assist rating isn't much different then Holl. Granted he's done a lot of work in his own zone, which might reflect on why the Leaf's save percentage is lower then when Ceci, Rielly, Dermott, Holl, Barrie, and Marincin are on. He's miles tougher. Not sure Dubas cares. Muzzin is 31 with four more years left on his contract. With possibly losing Ceci and Barrie, that leaves Timothy Liljegren as their only right-handed D-man if they lose a 28 year old Holl. Guess they could sign Roman Polák and Luke Schenn?

Papi 4 Hart

Nov 9, 2018
Honestly I like Jake Muzzin and purposely 'exposed' him to generate discussion. A little devil's advocate. (I liked Kadri more then Bozak, that never stopped me either!) Muzzin's assist rating isn't much different then Holl. Granted he's done a lot of work in his own zone, which might reflect on why the Leaf's save percentage is lower then when Ceci, Rielly, Dermott, Holl, Barrie, and Marincin are on. He's miles tougher. Not sure Dubas cares. Muzzin is 31 with four more years left on his contract. With possibly losing Ceci and Barrie, that leaves Timothy Liljegren as their only right-handed D-man if they lose a 28 year old Holl. Guess they could sign Roman Polák and Luke Schenn?

They would just protect Holl and not protect Dermott. You are over complicating things.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
If Dermott and Holl both make a jump in their play, it will get interesting.
Both would have low cap hits. It wouldn't make sense to expose either then if we are still in a flat cap environment.
A trade would have to happen.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
If Kerfoot keeps playing like last night you don't want to expose him. And no I'm not a fan of him but did think he played really well last night

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
think we're gonna be just fine for expansion. it won't hurt us.

It may hurt a little if the player they let go turns out to be better than a few that they keep or if they are forced to make moves before the actual draft. Trading AJ or Dermott for peanuts and having that guy bust out would sting. Or maybe KD overspends assets to control who the Krakens take.

Maybe I have tunnel vision on the goal and RD "issues" but to me success would be surviving the draft and next year improving at top 4 RD while also somehow taking advantage of all the goalies on the move to improve their starter. It wouldn't be the end of the world to resign Freddy but the cost and term may not be as team friendly as other options. One thing about the flat cap is no team has as much to spend as they had hoped so it makes it harder to trade contracts but also fewer bidding wars for the UFAs. The downforce on players that they deal may be less than the down force on who they acquire.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A couple of ways to mitigate what we expose in the draft. Step one: slow your roll on re-signing Andersen and Hyman, even if you plan on re-signing both. If they’re pending UFA’s, they aren’t going to be players you need to protect. So that takes care of two of them.

Then, out of the pool of AJ, Kapanen, Kerfoot, Dermott, Holl, I would make a decision on which ones we could likely keep, and also closely related to the cap, would be in favour of trading one of those guys for pure futures like draft picks and prospects. That would then limit our exposure to who we can protect because we’d liquidate whomever we can’t protect into future assets.

Then after the Expansion Draft, re-sign your guys and either move those futures for roster improvements, or use them as needed.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Probably losing Holl unless Muzzin really drops off. Can't see them taking Campbell or a forward if Holl is available.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Think the Leafs protect Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Hyman, Kerfoot, Rielly, Holl, Dermott, Andersen
Think you'll see the Leafs exposing Muzzin, Johnsson, and Campbell.
However, these playoffs could be telling. If Andersen fails in the playoffs, he could be exposed for sure.
Out of the unsigned UFA's, Clifford, Ceci, Barrie, think Barrie, who's from Victoria, one ferry trip across, could be interested in signing there and becoming their
big offensive D-man. What Ceci does will be interesting as well, but I don't think he's a Toronto-market kind of guy.

I don't think Ceci is a NHL guy.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Or play a LHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad