Who will feed the Kraken?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Its early to bring up but my guess is Campbell if he has any kind of a decent year, or maybe Holl if he has a strong one. It seems unlikely that they wouldn't deal one of AJ or Kerfoot rather than lose them. If they add another RD then I would put maybe Dermott on the list ahead of Holl but I actually think he would be outbound long before the X draft because he has more than journeyman shine and they have a surplus of lefties.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Think the Leafs protect Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Hyman, Kerfoot, Rielly, Holl, Dermott, Andersen
Think you'll see the Leafs exposing Muzzin, Johnsson, and Campbell.
However, these playoffs could be telling. If Andersen fails in the playoffs, he could be exposed for sure.
Out of the unsigned UFA's, Clifford, Ceci, Barrie, think Barrie, who's from Victoria, one ferry trip across, could be interested in signing there and becoming their
big offensive D-man. What Ceci does will be interesting as well, but I don't think he's a Toronto-market kind of guy.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Think the Leafs protect Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Hyman, Kerfoot, Rielly, Holl, Dermott, Andersen
However, these playoffs could be telling. If Andersen fails in the playoffs, he could be exposed for sure.
Out of the unsigned UFA's, Clifford, Ceci, Barrie, think Barrie, who's from Victoria, one ferry trip across, could be interested in signing there and becoming their
big offensive D-man. What Ceci does will be interesting as well, but I don't think he's a Toronto-market kind of guy.
Holl, Dermott and Kerfoot over Muzzin? Maybe one of them. No chance it's all three.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Engvall or Holl. Expecting to have more of a contributor selected in comparison to the VGK draft. Not particularly concerned though, unless there's a rough contract on the books by then that they're looking to have Seattle take.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think the Leafs have a lot of options depending on how next season goes.

Assuming no big names are traded they'll keeping Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Hyman, Kapanen, Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott

Kap is likely a name that could be traded this off-season, but then you have the likes of:

AJ
Kerfoot
Holl
Campbell

That can be exposed. At this point I think the only player I would be upset to lose is Holl simply because of the lack of RHD depth. But nothing that screams to me that they should trade an asset for Seattle to not take the one of them.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Its early to bring up but my guess is Campbell if he has any kind of a decent year, or maybe Holl if he has a strong one. It seems unlikely that they wouldn't deal one of AJ or Kerfoot rather than lose them. If they add another RD then I would put maybe Dermott on the list ahead of Holl but I actually think he would be outbound long before the X draft because he has more than journeyman shine and they have a surplus of lefties.

We won't have to worry about losing Campbell because we're not going to re-sign Andersen in summer 2021.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Muzzin is not being exposed IMO. That would be shocking and incompetent.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Protected Forwards

Matthews
JT
Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Engvall
Gauthier-if extended

Exempt or Contract UFA
Hyman, Mikheyev

I expect both Kerfoot and AJ gone this offseason or a the very least AJ as Barabanov will likely take his play especially if Mikheyev picks up where he left off.

Protected D

Rielly
Muzzin
Holl

Exempt or UFA
Sandin, Liljegren

Goalie
Campbell

Exempt or UFA
Andersen

Reactions: Volcanologist

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Its hard to predict when we don't know how things will change between now and then but based on what we have to work with right now I think Holl. If Freddy is re-signed it could be Campbell but I am thinking Freddy's gone after next season.

Forwards

Protect: Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Hyman, Kappy, whichever of Kerfoot or Johnsson doesn't get dealt.

Exposed: Engvall, Goat, Clifford (if re-signed)

Defense

Protect: Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott

Exposed: Holl

Goalies

Protect: Campbell

Exposed: Kaskisuo/Some AHL goalie we bring in for the Marlies

Reactions: Northernguy10

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Muzzin is not being exposed IMO. That would be shocking and incompetent.

Dubas gives up a 1st and 2 X prospects for Muzzin in trade and then re-signs him to a new 4 year deal recently, just to then exposes him to the expansion draft.

That ain't happening or if it does then you called it. :)

Rielly and Muzzin are automatics the only ? mark is who is the 3rd Dman protected.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Still a season left before we can see. There could be roster changes by then. Awesome thread title ;)
Clever

Reactions: qqaz

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
F - Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson, Kerfoot

D - Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott

G - Campbell

Options - Holl, Engvall, Gauthier, Hyman (FA), Andersen (FA)

Andersen or Hyman could re-sign with Toronto and things would shuffle around. If either of them were selected by Seattle and they did re-sign that would be considered a rather major score for a start up franchise. Hyman would probably play top-6 at either LW or RW and wear a letter, where Andersen would be that franchise #1 goaltender like Marc-Andre Fleury was to the Golden Knights.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Muzzin has to be protected over Holl he's significantly better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad