Who will become the Bruins Enforcer???

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The answer to the question is no one...For some reason since we lost to Montreal (simply because our best players didn't show up in games 6 and 7) and the fact the East is doing away with pugilism , we will go with a speedier attack this year....Hence promoting blazer Loui Eriksson to the first line and hopefully incorporating some youthful legs on the 3rd and 4th line.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Someone not on the roster yet. I have no problems with Robins but I think a deal will be made to bring someone else in.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
The answer to the question is no one...For some reason since we lost to Montreal (simply because our best players didn't show up in games 6 and 7) and the fact the East is doing away with pugilism , we will go with a speedier attack this year....Hence promoting blazer Loui Eriksson to the first line and hopefully incorporating some youthful legs on the 3rd and 4th line.
Have a feeling you're right.

Nice to have you back, WBBanderas.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Welcome back!

Part of me hates that the enforcer role is going away, but the other part of me is excited about the fact that the B's are rare in that they have legit fighters in their #1 D, #5/6 D & their # 1 LW. Plus Boychuk who can handle himself and Campbell who is willing, if not skilled as a fighter.

If injuries or situation dictate, having Chara, McQuaid, Boychuk and Miller among your top 6 is about as tough as you can get.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Welcome back!

Part of me hates that the enforcer role is going away, but the other part of me is excited about the fact that the B's are rare in that they have legit fighters in their #1 D, #5/6 D & their # 1 LW. Plus Boychuk who can handle himself and Campbell who is willing, if not skilled as a fighter.

If injuries or situation dictate, having Chara, McQuaid, Boychuk and Miller among your top 6 is about as tough as you can get.

That is a tough back line.

And upfront there is Campbell who loves to hit guys fists with his face.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Everything goes in cycles- bruins win the cup while playing their "enforcers" more than most teams and we were the model to follow: everyone wanted their own Thornton and Lucic. Don't think they will carry a guy who can't responsibly play 8-10 minutes a night, but there haven't been many of them in the league for a while now. We won't go back to the days of Oliwa but I'd hope they find someone who can handle it when needed and can handle the game the rest of the time.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Everything goes in cycles- bruins win the cup while playing their "enforcers" more than most teams and we were the model to follow: everyone wanted their own Thornton and Lucic. Don't think they will carry a guy who can't responsibly play 8-10 minutes a night, but there haven't been many of them in the league for a while now. We won't go back to the days of Oliwa but I'd hope they find someone who can handle it when needed and can handle the game the rest of the time.

Agreed.
They won't bring in an "enforcer". The league has changed in that regard and true enforcing is history. Management recognized this in the post season comments and seemed to signal they were trending away that.

Toughness and physicality have been an important part of this team's identity. I hope in addition to bringing in some quick, skilled guys from Prov that there is a big body on the 4th who can bring some big hits, physicality and energy to that line. Whether its Robins or someone else. If they can drop the gloves when needed, hey, even better but that's not the most important thing. I think a young skilled player like Spooner and Koko would have better success if a physical player was creating some space for them.

For me as a fan, this part of our identity is very important. Just because other teams have a different kind of lineup doesn't mean we should strive to copy them. I think our team gets a ton of energy and confidence from their physical style.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Already welcomed back but your return warrants another so, glad to have you back ya crazy old goon

I could see Robins finding his way in if they want to go that route, he's a capable fourth at producing some offense the dirty way. You'll be hard pressed to find a player with the sneaky hands and good shot that Thornton has

But I do think the bruins will go for more speed and forechecking strength this time around

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Don't really care for the designated "enforcer", that said I do enjoy a lineup full of guys who are willing when called on. So long as the team continues to have group toughness and have each others backs when needed I'm happy. For me its not necessarily about pugilistic skill but attitude.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Give me Peluso, Bordeleau, Gazdic or Reaves and i'll be happy. I don't want Jordan Caron replacing 22.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
We NEED someone for the regular season. Scratch them for the playoffs. Someone over 6'4 or so, and mean. They can handle all of the other goons and we won't have to worry about our guy getting KO'd a la Thornton (he was a great fighter but on the smaller side and there were some times I feared he'd be going off on a stretcher).

Fighting will still be in the game. Having Lucic fight them is nonsense, and McQuaid isn't really the guy to handle those goons as well.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH

Agree here. This is per Chia, as well...if anyone bothered to process what he had to say during his interview when he discussed his thoughts as they related to re-upping ST22.

There will be fighters. There won't be "enforcers". That was my read, anyway.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Don't really care for the designated "enforcer", that said I do enjoy a lineup full of guys who are willing when called on. So long as the team continues to have group toughness and have each others backs when needed I'm happy. For me its not necessarily about pugilistic skill but attitude.

This is my attitude as well, with the caveat that if, say, you play the Sharks & John Scott, you bring up Robins. As someone else noted, at this point there's no sense in having Lucic fight more than a few times a year, both in terms of possible injury & bad trade offs.

McQuaid's concussion history argues against his fighting, too. I like Adam but given this, other recent injuries, and the emergence of Kevan Miller, perhaps a trade is in order.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Would just love it if we could find a tough player that can score about 10 goals who isn't afraid to defend the rest of our team and intimidate a bit.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Already welcomed back but your return warrants another so, glad to have you back ya crazy old goon

I could see Robins finding his way in if they want to go that route, he's a capable fourth at producing some offense the dirty way. You'll be hard pressed to find a player with the sneaky hands and good shot that Thornton has

But I do think the bruins will go for more speed and forechecking strength this time around

Thank you so much EW...MIssed you hope you're continuing being a role model for those kids...

We are gonna miss Dangles. They don't make them like him anymore.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Why follow the league trend? It's following and buying into your own plan that's important..

While enforcing is down trending I bet after a few 4th liners that like to hit start walloping star players and causing injury the enforcers will be back. Not every team has toughness in their star players like the bruins do and they will need a deterrent on the bench. Again it will come back as a necessary evil,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad