Who will be the next Habs coach?

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Nobody becomes a hockey fan to listen to the coach talk.

Unless it's John Tortorella.
Haha :) but yet for some reason I only follow and enjoy sports covered in languages I understand. I used to think there was more to pro sports than emotions and entertainment value (for the 99.9% of us who don’t partake). Nowadays I’m just bored watching games. I do it out of a 50 year habit. Not a single of these guys worth the ticket money. I think my girl friend would watch more if there were a few women players and coaches, and mostly if the players were hot. That new mullet guy won’t help. Is that not valid fan feedback either? Nothing to do with winning, and I believe it is 100% subjective what turns people on. Won’t help win and reduces potential candidates to want a french coach, no argument there. I’ve come to conclude that it’s mostly irrelevant to me (win-lose). I want to see all out offense, dangles and 6-5 games. Some want to hear the coach talk in a language they can follow and watch highlight reels. Some want to watch their favorites win. It’s all good.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
A Bob Hartley (head coach) - Patrick Roy (GM) combo seems way too obvious right now if Molson wants to make changes. Remember, they won the Cup together in Colorado. Don't really see who else could be fit for the job. I mean there are options, but if you consider that Molson is 99% likely to hire french-speaking people, there could hardly be anyone more qualified for the job than these two. A lot of fans/media members would be quite happy.

I think Guy Boucher should also be in consideration.

I think Bouchard should stay in the AHL, for now. Pay him 1 million if you need to, I don't care, he's too important in Laval. Burrows should probably be back down there, too.

As for assistants, Hartley could bring his own people, but Roy could also choose some good french-speaking coaches like Tourigny, Vincent or Groulx. I think Ducharme could also stay on as an assistant.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Gallant is a no brainer. There is no way the Habs touch him though.
Gallant was fired mid season by two different teams that are doing very well right now, how is he a no brainer ?

No matter who the coach will be, there won't be a unanimous approval of the choice. If he's french speaking, people will automaticaly assume it was a "political" choice and if he's only english speaking, media and a lot of fans, won't be happy and there won't be any way to prove 100% that he's the best choice.

So, let's find a Europeen ! He might not be the best candidate, but it will shut everyone up (or do the exact opposite and piss everyone off)... good times...

del17

Dec 26, 2015
Canadiens should get the best coach period French English European i dont care. Right now they need someone that can work with and develop their younger core and youth coming in regardless of position in the standings or play. I dont currently see this team as cup contenders we have a ways to go.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
A Bob Hartley (head coach) - Patrick Roy (GM) combo seems way too obvious right now if Molson wants to make changes. Remember, they won the Cup together in Colorado. Don't really see who else could be fit for the job. I mean there are options, but if you consider that Molson is 99% likely to hire french-speaking people, there could hardly be anyone more qualified for the job than these two. A lot of fans/media members would be quite happy.

I think Guy Boucher should also be in consideration.

I think Bouchard should stay in the AHL, for now. Pay him 1 million if you need to, I don't care, he's too important in Laval. Burrows should probably be back down there, too.

As for assistants, Hartley could bring his own people, but Roy could also choose some good french-speaking coaches like Tourigny, Vincent or Groulx. I think Ducharme could also stay on as an assistant.
I think if Roy is named GM, Benoit Groulx will be named coach. I know that he have a lot of respect for him and that he wanted to bring him with him in Colorado

Reactions: NA Scouting

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Bob Hartley! LOL

Another Jacques Lemaire disciple, yup that’s exactly what the Habs need, let’s throw in St Patrick cause “he knows how to win”....

Take that for forward thinking Dave Dombrowski & Dan Duquette

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I’d be all for Bob Hartley....if this was 2001.

Guy Boucher is an even bigger no thanks.

I’d love to see the best candidate regardless of language. I’ve always maintained the club can hire a translator for the media briefings. If the best candidate speaks french? Fantastic. Shouldn’t be a requirement though, as it severely limits our options. Always has. When you’re constantly limited to pick from the best options in a small and exclusive pool, you’re doing your franchise and fans a disservice by not considering ALL options. I understand the culture and how meaningful it has been historically for the team to be represented by french speaking individuals. It has been ingrained in Quebec’s hockey culture for so long because of pride. So it’s understandable in a sense. But it’s just simply not sustainable to continue choosing from an exclusive language pool compared to the other clubs. No other team has to deal with that.

Even more ridiculous is the requirement of the GM speaking french. He talks to the media what, 5 times in a calendar year?

Last edited:

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
This discussion is pointless. We all know it will be Vignault next then Therrien round 3 (the Respek edition) before one more crack at Julien who proves 80 year olds still have something to teach those young guns. Bouchard will get scooped up by Tampa in the meantime.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
There is no best coach available french or english. Really, what we need is a plan from top to bottom. From a GM that want this or that type of team. Then find the coach that fits that model, then your scouting team, etc... A clear vision of what we need. (Start with a new GM)

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He was the best thing since powdered milk when we hired him from QMJHL. Allegedly, everything that was good with Juliens' system was inspired by him.

This year, he was thrown into a shitty situation with a badly constructed roster. The decision will hopefully be made by a new GM, but I'd like to see what he can do with a full training camp and a roster tailored to his needs. Only half a year ago the general consensus was that he's a great asset to the organization. Seems wasteful to just get rid of him based on this wacky season.

24Cups

Aug 2, 2005
You know what time it is...

SlightCanineFowl-size_restricted.gif
Time to Grind.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I had a vision today. It was like this:

President: Marc Bergevin
GM: Claude Julien
Coach: Michel Therrien
Assistant coach: Jacques Martin
Head scout : Guy Carbonneau

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Doesn't matter who it is if the organization keeps the French-speaking requirement. For those who live in predominantly French Quebec areas, is a French speaking coach still commonly regarded as necessary amongst the general French population? I'd guess most people would prefer winning but not sure.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The best qualified coaching candidates are Gerard Gallant and Bruce Boudreau.

Less obvious choice is Rikard Gronborg, the coach of the Swiss National Team. This guy's getting a lot of attention from NHL clubs. Are we ready for a European system?

Most qualified AHL coach is Todd Nelson.

After that are different degrees of compromises.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I had a vision today. It was like this:

President: Marc Bergevin
GM: Claude Julien
Coach: Michel Therrien
Assistant coach: Jacques Martin
Head scout : Guy Carbonneau
As much as I like it, it makes no sense. All these retreads, where is the next batch of retreads going to come from?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad