Who will be the next Chara?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Samuel Morin is 6'7 and 225 lbs. One thing that he will have on Chara is his skating. He's already a much better skater than Chara, who mostly used his hockey IQ rather than skating ability to make plays in both zones.

People think that just because Morin is an absolute behemoth that is has 0 hockey skills. While he's no Karlsson, he actually is a really underrated puck mover. He also likes jumping up into the rush at times as well (using his skating ability).

Very hard slapshot like Chara but it's quite inaccurate.

He also has that innate mean streak that Chara has. Morin has had to reign it in because he's bigger than 99% of other players in the Q and gets penalized because he's large and mean most of the time.

I'm not sure if Morin possesses the offensive IQ to be the next Chara, but he definitely has the most similarities to Chara out of any dman prospects.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Samuel Morin is 6'7 and 225 lbs. One thing that he will have on Chara is his skating. He's already a much better skater than Chara, who mostly used his hockey IQ rather than skating ability to make plays in both zones.

People think that just because Morin is an absolute behemoth that is has 0 hockey skills. While he's no Karlsson, he actually is a really underrated puck mover. He also likes jumping up into the rush at times as well (using his skating ability).

He also has that innate mean streak that Chara has. Morin has had to reign it in because he's bigger than 99% of other players in the Q and gets penalized because he's large and mean most of the time.

I'm not sure if Morin possesses the offensive IQ to be the next Chara, but he definitely has the most similarities to Chara out of any dman prospects.
Morin has the best stick check and takeaway ability ive ever seen. I would trade a ton for Morin. Perfect partner for Karlsson.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
If he plays with a guy who might not even make the NHL?

While Ghost definitely looks like a future NHLer, you are right, there are no guarantees. That said, he's a dynamic player offensively. The only things that would keep him out of the NHL are his size and whether or not his defensive ability translates to this level. If he makes it, he'll put up points, which will help Morin put up points if they are a pair.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Sens fans think cowen sucks

Some think he currently sucks but for years all Sens fans talked about was Cowen being the next Chara, and Cowen sucking last year didn't stop that because Chara was pretty bad until he was about 25.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Definitely Zadorov. He just needs to round out his game a bit more. I'd say he's actually nastier than Chara, but less of a retaliatory hothead.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Not that I think he'll ever reach the same level of dominance, but Tinordi isn't an awful comparison.

MadFerIt95*

My favorite team's tallest prospect.

(Which is Samuel Morin in case you were wondering.)

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
who was chara before chara was chara?

Steve McKenna - 6' 8" 255 played D (and LW) for Los Angeles

IMG_9192%20McKenna%20Thilthorpe.jpg

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He's a rare package. He's a giant with a mean streak and an unparalleled work ethic. There were so many things he had to work on to become even a good player in the NHL, let alone great; it's a lot to ask of other similar sized players.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Back when I saw Marincin take somebody's head off in the WJC I started to wonder... but he doesn't appear to have a mean streak to him outside of that incident.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

I've seen a lot of Morin in the Q and right now he doesn't look to have the type of offensive skills to ever be a Norris level D.

That's not to say it won't happen because Chara didn't have Chara offensive skills until he was about 25 (still don't know where they came from).

Morin definitely is the closest comparable out there right now, but even he's a pretty big stretch.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ask me this in 2010-2012 and I would say Myers.

Morin most likely. Guys like Sustr just don't have the offensive ability to go with the size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad