Who will be the Flyers' opening night starting goalie?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Lelghton?:naughty:

I wish! But seriously I think it will be Mason but I am only basing that on his short time here last year. It doesn't make a difference to me, really. I hope Lavy just "plays the hot hand" all season long. I don't care if Mason plays 60 and Emery plays 22 or vice versa. Or if they both play 41. I'd like to see Mason develop into a long-term solution, but as far as this season goes, just go with whomever is playing better at the time.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I wish! But seriously I think it will be Mason but I am only basing that on his short time here last year. It doesn't make a difference to me, really. I hope Lavy just "plays the hot hand" all season long. I don't care if Mason plays 60 and Emery plays 22 or vice versa. Or if they both play 41. I'd like to see Mason develop into a long-term solution, but as far as this season goes, just go with whomever is playing better at the time.

Apparently Leighton signed with Donbass KHL

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Neither...

Holmgren is keeping some powder dry (like 100 bucks) to sign Boosh as "insurance" :sarcasm:

Kidding..my money is on Emery. I'm not sold on Mason....

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Ended up going with Emery and have a few reasons why:

A) He's been in Philadelphia and has a track record with Laviolette (who has gone on the record and said he's a big fan of Emery)

B) Mason's confidence is still fragile. If he gets lit up on opening night, that might do significant damage to his confidence. He played well down the stretch when he arrived, but opening night in that city is a completely different animal. Expectations will be sky high and if he blows it, that could be just thing to set him over the edge.

C) Emery also knows he's here to back up Mason and that the Flyers are grooming Mason to be the starter. They throw Emery a bone in terms of the opening start and he mentors Mason the rest of the way.

It's really a perfect fit. Mason is just getting his career back on track, so there's no sense in throwing him to the wolves opening night after a 7 game window. If he falters, people will tear him apart. If Emery falters, no one will blink an eye.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
B) Mason's confidence is still fragile. If he gets lit up on opening night, that might do significant damage to his confidence. He played well down the stretch when he arrived, but opening night in that city is a completely different animal. Expectations will be sky high and if he blows it, that could be just thing to set him over the edge.

of course the opposite could be true.

he could come out, have a fantastic opening nite, and go on to be a stud, due to pure confidence...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have as much confidence in Mason's ability to be a solid starting goaltender from here on out as I have in Emery's hip.

So...little to none. At least with expectations low I won't be hard to please.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Funny Story. Actually my last name. No relation though

He played well in the Winter Classic maybe we can bring him back again!

Seriously though, everyone should be hoping its Mason. If he sucks we are back to square one again with more goalie drama next year and another abyssmal season in the books.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
of course the opposite could be true.

he could come out, have a fantastic opening nite, and go on to be a stud, due to pure confidence...

Oh agreed, but I think with Mason, you have to err on the side of caution. He showed something over his seven game appearance, but are you willing to take a chance he's turned the corner? I think that's the question that Flyers coaches are asking right now and that Emery is the safe guard for opening night.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

You're overthinking a bit too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad