Who will be the Flyers' opening night starting goalie?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mentioned this in another thread, but I think in 3 months, someone's going to make a thread with a poll asking who our starting goaltender will be after the trade deadline. Emery is the better of the two, bit I can't imagine someone better won't be available in February. If this team is fighting for a playoff spot at point, Holmgren's job is going to be on the line, so he's going to have to make a move.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Emery may be the more accomplished goalie, but I don't think he's better, at least for this team. Positionally and mentally, he's good but he moves slower than Bryz. Slow goalies will not do well on this team. Mason has the agility, is bigger, and has great puck handling abilities which is going to help our breakout.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
I think both goalies are good, its the Flyers D that lets them down all the time. Homer needs to make some trades this season and bring in a couple of strong Defensemen, Flyers have a lot of talent up front to dangle as trade bait.
I'm a strong believer that a strong defense will win you a Cup.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Shocked its not Mason especially the way Emery finished.

I bet you they came to the decision based on the fact that Emery won the cup last year with Chicago :shakehead. Dumb logic, I know. They sure as hell weren't basing it off training camp and preseason.

RJ8812*

I bet you they came to the decision based on the fact that Emery won the cup last year with Chicago :shakehead. Dumb logic, I know. They sure as hell weren't basing it off training camp and preseason.

both of our goalie looked decent-to-mediocre to be honest, but I think Emery showed more flashes of good than Mason

But it's really hard to gauge since the players in front of them didnt play very well

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
both of our goalie looked decent-to-mediocre to be honest, but I think Emery showed more flashes of good than Mason

But it's really hard to gauge since the players in front of them didnt play very well

Mason seemed more mobile at least.....although I'm not sure I've seen anything to suggest he's turned a corner from his inconsistent ways. He has been average just like Emery has been average in various aspects of their game...

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Neither goalie showed a lot of promise in the preseason. The last Washington game is just most fresh in people's minds.

I would have gone with Emery too.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It had to be Mason. He needs to be the goalie of this team. RFA at the end of the year and is our property, new scenery, and still young. He needs to be given all the confidence he can get that it's his net and Emery is here to help him into that role. Emery won't be upset, I love his attitude now. How so much can change in just a few years is unreal.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The game in London? I thought he was fine. The 3 goals he let up were all defensive breakdowns and would have been incredible saves.

He had no real chance on the first two, then backed in too far on the breakaway. He rallied.

I hope he plays lights out tonight, the Leafs are a good, fast, skilled team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad