Speculation: Who will be the coach in 2016-17?

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Maybe we'll get lucky and Nashville will fire their coach then Stillman can hire him. Yes I know highly unlikely.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
So people can't voice criticism about either unless they have your blessing?

I advocate for MacLean after the season ends. Can I voice my opinions on Army and Hitch now?

Sure. Let's have 2 threads: one just for mindless *****ing and one where we talk about alternative coach/GM options.

I expressed MY opinion, that long-winded complaints advocating firing Hitch/Armstrong don't do much for me if there are no alternatives suggested. We can't build a robot GM, they have to actually hire a real person.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Sure. Let's have 2 threads: one just for mindless *****ing and one where we talk about alternative coach/GM options.

I expressed MY opinion, that long-winded complaints advocating firing Hitch/Armstrong don't do much for me if there are no alternatives suggested. We can't build a robot GM, they have to actually hire a real person.
It's not like any of our suggestions about ways to improve schemes or personnel happen anyway. So maybe we should just stop posting all together.

I am pretty sure Army will have to get the boot before Hitch moves on anyway. So do we need a new GM thread too?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
It's not like any of our suggestions about ways to improve schemes or personnel happen anyway. So maybe we should just stop posting all together.

I am pretty sure Army will have to get the boot before Hitch moves on anyway. So do we need a new GM thread too?

I don't really get why you have a bee in your bonnet about my post. I'm trying to encourage a poster to go further with his argument so that we actually have something to discuss. It doesn't bother me if someone wants to use this thread just to vent, but I won't pretend those posts are worthwhile to me.

I've seen complaints about Hitchcock for years now. I've seen calls for him to be fired. Sometimes the complaints are vague and don't really point out what he is doing that should be changed. Sometimes there are no examples of coaches who are better at whatever the deficiency is supposed to be. I just prefer if there was more substance to the discussion. Some posters do that (and then we can dissect the career of whoever it is and see how it stacks up, what their schemes have looked like, etc). Otherwise it feels like a thread where we just complain about the weather.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don't really get why you have a bee in your bonnet about my post. I'm trying to encourage a poster to go further with his argument so that we actually have something to discuss. It doesn't bother me if someone wants to use this thread just to vent, but I won't pretend those posts are worthwhile to me.

I've seen complaints about Hitchcock for years now. I've seen calls for him to be fired. Sometimes the complaints are vague and don't really point out what he is doing that should be changed. Sometimes there are no examples of coaches who are better at whatever the deficiency is supposed to be. I just prefer if there was more substance to the discussion. Some posters do that (and then we can dissect the career of whoever it is and see how it stacks up, what their schemes have looked like, etc). Otherwise it feels like a thread where we just complain about the weather.

How many posters watch enough of other teams to bring much of a discussion to the table?

If for example someone advocates for Paul MacLean, how many people would be able to add to the discussion?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
How many posters watch enough of other teams to bring much of a discussion to the table?

If for example someone advocates for Paul MacLean, how many people would be able to add to the discussion?

I agree on MacLean. Is he involved anywhere right now? I'll be surprised if he isn't hired to coach an NHL team again (Colorado is a team that should hire him today right now.)

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I agree on MacLean. Is he involved anywhere right now? I'll be surprised if he isn't hired to coach an NHL team again (Colorado is a team that should hire him today right now.)

Assistant coach of Anaheim. If Boudreau gets the axe, that he moves up. If we could snag him in the offseason, then I would certainly entertain the idea of him as a primary candidate.

Chippewa

Feb 19, 2012
houseboat, venezuela
I want MacLean as well. I think he's very underrated.

Short of that, between Boucher and Muller, I'd want Boucher. Both have little to none playoff successes on their resume, but at least Boucher would be a fresh face.

I do like to point out that I don't believe it would be hard at all to surpass Hitch's accomplishments here, at least, if you put more weight on playoff records than regular season ones, as I personally do.

That said, I don't know if I trust Armstrong to make the right decisions here. This summer's coaching awkwardness was very badly handled.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Why would you like to see him coached here?

I thought Boucher did a good job in Tampa, despite never having any goaltending or defense (they had "playoff aspirations" after acquiring Anders Lindback, Matt Carle, and Sami Salo). They had a really solid offense pretty much every year, but they just couldn't keep the puck out of the net, which probably led to the 1-3-1 defense and the infamous Flyers incident. In 2012-13, Stamkos breaks his leg in November, their season tanks, and Boucher gets fired. The very next year, Yzerman goes out and gets Filppula and Bishop, Hedman breaks out in a big way, Stamkos is healthy, the triplets break out, and Jon Cooper looks like a genius.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Someone here may remember this, but was Curt Fraser fired as an assistant coach or just left when he became the Head Coach in Grand Rapids?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm beginning to come around to the idea that we should fire Hitch and hire Easton.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
What are the realistic chances that Army retains Hitch another year? I can just see it now... We make it to the second round of the playoffs and Army calls that "improvement" from Hitch, enough to give it another go

Untitled.jpg

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I wouldn't mind that at all. If the Blues dont lose Brad Shaw to a HC job, Oates and Shaw could work well.

Yeah...I wouldn't be shocked to see Oates take over the power-play from Muller...but I can't envision him being the head coach here. Shaw wouldn't be a horrible, in-house option.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I wouldn't mind that at all. If the Blues dont lose Brad Shaw to a HC job, Oates and Shaw could work well.

My thoughts exactly. I'm a huge Brad Shaw fan, and I wouldn't be upset with an "offensive coordinator" to assist him. Maybe there are better options, but if not, I think this could be solid.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Listening to some 'Canes fans talk about when Mueller there is starting to reign true this season. Many have said he lacked a system of offense. So far Blues offense this year is trending in that direction. He may be a great skills coach but developing a scheme for producing goals is not one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad