Speculation: Who will be the coach in 2016-17?

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Who will be the coach of the 2016-17 St. Louis Blues? I'm leaning towards Guy Boucher, but I'm almost positive another coach is going to get fired this year, so he might get snapped up. Could Brad Shaw finally get the promotion he deserves? How about Kirk Muller? Will Army ruin the Blues by picking Randy Carlyle? Will Iron Mike make his triumphant return?

Last edited:

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
I would lean towards Shaw or Muller, giving Muller the nod. He seems like someone who knows the defensive system and might allow the offense to become more creative.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
"Alright Brett, I'm gonna show them all how to get the puck to the right winger, you teach the right wingers how to get wide open with no coverage and one time that bad boy. You have to tell Tarasenko that he's not the correct handedness, though."

"Right, Oatsey. But first! The whiskey. We're also gonna need to put the ash trays back in the locker room."

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I expect it will be Kirk Muller, possibly Brad Shaw. Neither of which are very inspiring.

I wanted us to bring Guy Boucher in during the summer, but I wouldn't want him as head coach. He's the best PP coach out there.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think it will still be Hitch. I think we make the WCF this year and that buys Hitch another season.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Muller or Shaw would be fine with me. I think we could do worse than either one. Seem like decent coaches and there'd still be familiarity there.

Only guys outside the organization that could be available that I would be interested in are Julien and Boudreau.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Most people calling for Hitch's head can't really name an effective replacement for him. Every option would make us significantly worse IMO.....

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Most people calling for Hitch's head can't really name an effective replacement for him. Every option would make us significantly worse IMO.....

Eh, "significantly worse" might be a stretch, but there aren't many people out there that would make us significantly better, that's for sure.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Hitch is maybe one of the best regular season coach, but post-season league worst.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Eh, "significantly worse" might be a stretch, but there aren't many people out there that would make us significantly better, that's for sure.

This is pretty accurate, a lot of coaches wouldn't make us "significantly worse" but who would make this team better in the playoffs. We had Quenville who has won Stanley Cups, we had Bowman, we had Keenan, we have had lots of coaches that have had playoff success in places other than St. Louis. Is our problem coaching?? Or is it more with higher level management????

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO

While I personally voted for Hitch, I do think that there will be plenty of 'free agent' coaches like Babcock or Bylsma were this year on the market next offseason that we can't really predict.

If it isn't Hitch, I'd like someone young to come in, someone fresh and innovative like Jon Cooper was with the lightning or Bylsma when he was originally hired by the Pens.

D.J. Smith would be my pick.

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
The two guys with the most votes are my last choices. I haven't voted because I just dont know at this point but I do not see Muller being a good choice and I think anything short of the WCF, Hitch should be gone

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Hitch is maybe one of the best regular season coach, but post-season league worst.

That's quite an exaggeration. If he was the worst post-season coach, he wouldn't have a Cup, no matter how talented that team was. I understand it's been disappointing watching this team fail in the playoffs year after year, but saying stuff like this is just nonsense.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
That's quite an exaggeration. If he was the worst post-season coach, he wouldn't have a Cup, no matter how talented that team was. I understand it's been disappointing watching this team fail in the playoffs year after year, but saying stuff like this is just nonsense.

What its 16 years ago?

Lets look last 4 post-season Hitch has won 1 playoff series. I didn't find worse record last 4 year by any other coach who has been playoffs 4 year in a row.

I think its not nonsense to say Hitch is worst NHL coach in past last 4 years.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This is pretty accurate, a lot of coaches wouldn't make us "significantly worse" but who would make this team better in the playoffs. We had Quenville who has won Stanley Cups, we had Bowman, we had Keenan, we have had lots of coaches that have had playoff success in places other than St. Louis. Is our problem coaching?? Or is it more with higher level management????

Upper management has changed throughout the years as well.

The only logical explanation is that we are cursed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad