Who will be the better 4th-overall pick? Bennett, or Puljujarvi?

Who will be the better 4th-overall pick?

• Total voters

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I won't be that surprised if Bennett ends up being better.

I think he can at least be a Backlund-esque player. Puljujarvi seems like a boom or bust type. If he doesn't put it together, I can see him ending up as a guy who's not really good enough to be a top six player on a good team and who doesn't play a game suitable for a bottom-six role. I'm not saying that's going to happen... but you never know.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Puljujarvi has a lot he needs to work on to reach his potential but I think Bennett is a pretty low bar to jump over

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I would safely bet on Puljujarvi. The Oilers are doing the right thing letting him grow in the AHL. I would be comfortable if Puljujarvi took the "William Nylander approach" for his development.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
If Pulju could be good enough on his own, he would already be on the Oilers opening night.
He isn't. It's a 50/50. I'm not too high on Pulju anymore. Yamamoto is better than him right now.
I don't know much about Bennett, but I do know that Pulju has had a tough time in the NHL.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
If Pulju could be good enough on his own, he would already be on the Oilers opening night.
He isn't. It's a 50/50. I'm not too high on Pulju anymore. Yamamoto is better than him right now.
I don't know much about Bennett, but I do know that Pulju has had a tough time in the NHL.

Granlund had a tough time, and look at him now.

Puljujarvi is still a top tier talent, he was drafted in 2016 for god sake.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers play young players in NHL: Oilers are ruining their prospects!

Oilers give young players time to develop: Puljujarvi = bust?!

Haha. Good old HF.

That said, JP will be there better player IMO.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Oilers play young players in NHL: Oilers are ruining their prospects!

Oilers give young players time to develop: Puljujarvi = bust?!

Haha. Good old HF.

That said, JP will be there better player IMO.

Aren't oiler fans calling him a bust because his low IQ in the oiler forum, and wanting anything they can get for him right now?

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Why not list all three from 2014-2016?

Bennett Marner and Puljujarvi..

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

Because that would be comparing a young star in the NHL to a bottom six player to a prospect. Marner and the other two are incomparable.

This is why size is so overrated. This time last year people thought Leaf fans were massive homers because they thought Marner was better than Puljujarvi and that Marner would not go 4th overall in his own draft if JP was in it.

Meanwhile, a tiny little Kailer Yamamoto beats out Jesse Puljujarvi for an NHL spot. IQ and skating >> Size and skating.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I'm not too high on Puljujärvi but he has the higher ceiling.

He looks awkward on his skates most of the time but gets it done. Still has some alarming signs in his game, if you like to think that way.

I think it will be Pulju.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C

Because that'd be a landslide win for Marner lol. We get it, you guys have great players, stop rubbing it in gosh

As for the poll, I went with Bennett. I think at the same stage of development (d+1, d+2 so far) Bennett has been ahead. He's got just as high of a ceiling, if not higher, and a higher floor. Plus he plays the more important position atm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad