Who Will Be Our Biggest Positive Surprise As A Player?

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
I love it, hockey is almost here.

I was thinking maybe with Cal healed and able to fully engage his core muscles that you'll see more jump in his step, more turn overs, and most importantly more hits. As mentioned, Kulemin brings a frustratingly aggressive style of play, and throw in Martin and you've got a big gritty body (Clutterbuck plays BIG) on lines two through four.

This is of course if Clutterbuck were to bump bailey to line four...

Nelson-JT-KO
Kool-Grabv-Strome
Clutterbuck-Frans-Grabs
Martin-CC-Bailey

Think we'll be playing the left wing lock?

:laugh:

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i think there are a lot that can surprise, and probably more than 1 will.

Halak, Johnson, Donovan, Brennan, Bailey, Nelson, Strome, Cizikas, Bailey...

going with Nelson. the kid has above avg skillz in every category, and is going to shine.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Whether it's during the first 9 on the Island, or in junior hockey, Josh Ho-Sang will surprise the hockey world.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Whether it's during the first 9 on the Island, or in junior hockey, Josh Ho-Sang will surprise the hockey world.

I don't think there's a chance he gets the 9 game look. We don't have the roster space even without him. I do hope he tears it up in Juniors though.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
If I had to pick one? Nelson is probably going to light it up with JT and Okposo, I'm predicting anywhere from 22-30 goals for him.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Halakness monster. People are going to discover how actually skilled he is while playing behind a rookie defense staying healthy and getting tons of minutes. He will assert himself as an unquestionable top 10 goalie just out of the top 5 range.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
there better be a few surprises on the blueline otherwise its going to be another bottom 5 finish

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Anders Lee will end up on the top line and pot 25+ goals and 50 points.

I don't think this is a surprise but I think by game 30 Griffen Reinhart will be playing a solid 20+ minutes a night.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Halakness monster. People are going to discover how actually skilled he is while playing behind a rookie defense staying healthy and getting tons of minutes. He will assert himself as an unquestionable top 10 goalie just out of the top 5 range.

Halak is good and IS an upgrade over Nabby.

But how many games are you expecting him to play? I'm expecting ~50.

Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with the Halak signing. But he's not the savior many on here are making him out to be.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I agree with those saying Czuczman. I think he gets lost in the shuffle too often when we discuss our exciting defensive prospects. I think he'll be in the starting 6 on opening night and impress from day 1.

Deadweight

Apr 20, 2014
New York, NY
i would say nelson on strome but i am not going to see them as a suprise. I think cizikas will step his game up bigtime and will do so good that cap looks into moving him up

dtrain24

May 5, 2014
Farmingdale, NY.
Yea, agreed. This is an interesting question in OP because it's personal as to who each of us think would be a surprise. For instance, Nelson being 0.75 PPG on that 1st line wouldn't surprise me. But it would be considered a 'breakout' year across the league.

As far as going along the lines that you are saying, the person who I think is going to turn the most heads as a function of how much people around the league are talking about him, aware of him, and what they are expecting of him, is Calvin de Haan. Of course, most of us are already pretty bullish on him, so it probably wouldn't surprise this group.

I agree, I think CDH will have a very impressive sophomore season.

On the topic of defensemen, I think Griff will have a solid rookie season. It may take him awhile, but I think he'll look natural before the All-Star break.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Halak is good and IS an upgrade over Nabby.

But how many games are you expecting him to play? I'm expecting ~50.

Don't get me wrong I'm very happy with the Halak signing. But he's not the savior many on here are making him out to be.

I don't think I used the word savior. I don't think good teams ever have a "savior" and I'm not looking for one on the Islanders. I'm expecting 60-65 games and great numbers in the top 10 in the NHL close to top 5.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Potentials

Bailey by finding his groove

Grabner finishing on breakaways and putting back 30 again

De Haan staying healthy and getting credit league-wide for his play

Strome breaking out and going for 60 points

Personally I feel like he may not surprise as far as stats are concerned, but Kulemin will gain a spot in our hearts for just being a hustler and energy player whose impact will be felt on the ice. A fan favorite on the Island

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Username checks out.

;) I'm a big fan of the kid. Seems to me scouts didn't like him for all the wrong reasons, and now he's quite a bit of an underdog. I would love to see him prove a whole bunch of naysayers wrong. I don't care when he does, just long as he does it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad