Who Will Be Our Biggest Positive Surprise As A Player?

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
A thought came to mind as I was thinking about all our threads lately. Every time I see (and even propose) what our Starting defensive lineup will be, I NEVER see Donovan listed as a possible starter on the team. Which means from an expectations standpoint that he is completely written off by so many of us here.

So, my nominee for the title of this thread will be Matt Donovan. At this time last year so many of us penciled him in to our lineup and had great expectations for him and now all we use is the eraser side of the pencil.

Any sort of positive contribution from him would really be a bonus to this team.

Feel free to add!

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Ryan Strome. I am extremely bullish on this kid. I think he will be third on the team in pp60, behind Okposo and Tavares.

Interesting sidenote- Okposo had a higher pp60 than Tavares last season, despite playing without him for the final few months.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I'm going with Kulemin. It may not come through the score sheet, but the way he plays the game is contagious. We've been a tough/annoying team to play against for a few seasons now, and I think this year's team will be the toughest.

I expect him to chip in a little offensively (how much so depending on where he plays), but I also expect him to bring a grinding, defensive, bulldog style to our forward corps.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
I say T J Brennan. I think he, along with all the D-prospects, will make Donovan expendable.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
A thought came to mind as I was thinking about all our threads lately. Every time I see (and even propose) what our Starting defensive lineup will be, I NEVER see Donovan listed as a possible starter on the team. Which means from an expectations standpoint that he is completely written off by so many of us here.

So, my nominee for the title of this thread will be Matt Donovan. At this time last year so many of us penciled him in to our lineup and had great expectations for him and now all we use is the eraser side of the pencil.

Any sort of positive contribution from him would really be a bonus to this team.

Feel free to add!

I've been writing Donovan into that #6 spot, on a pairing with Hickey when making line predictions. He looked strong ending last season and I have hope that he will build on that.

As far as surprise player, gotta go with Reinhart. I see a lot of uncertainty around here when it comes to Griff, and a lot of people who are keeping their expectations low when it comes to his rookie year impact, but I see him establishing himself as one of our more reliable guys relatively quickly.

This guy is going to end the year right there with CdH and Hamonic as one of our anchors back there. I've never been as confident in a rookie stepping in at a high level as I am with Reinhart. His game is just so advanced for a 20 year old.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Total shot in the dark, but I'm going to say Scotty Mayfield.

I don't think we'll see him right away, but I could see his development fast track under Thompson. He has tools that are needed desperately on the Islanders' defense (size, right handed shot. He would complement Hickey well on the bottom pairing.

If Reinhart is able to play top four minutes in January/February, bump him up to play with Vis (barring he's healthy), bump Hickey down & pair him with Mayfield.

de Haan-Hamonic
Reinhart-Vis
Hickey-Mayfield

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I feel like Both Grabovski and Kulemin are gonna be big for us..

Also I think Johnson is going to be big as well.

IslesPanthers11

Mar 25, 2007
I say Kevin Czurchman simply because everyone is ignoring him. I paid close attention to him when he got here, and I see a smart mobile guy. We'll see

scott99

May 13, 2005
Total shot in the dark, but I'm going to say Scotty Mayfield.

I don't think we'll see him right away, but I could see his development fast track under Thompson. He has tools that are needed desperately on the Islanders' defense (size, right handed shot. He would complement Hickey well on the bottom pairing.

If Reinhart is able to play top four minutes in January/February, bump him up to play with Vis (barring he's healthy), bump Hickey down & pair him with Mayfield.

de Haan-Hamonic
Reinhart-Vis
Hickey-Mayfield

I agree about reinhart, and I love these pairings. I always cringe at the thought of Hickey and Visnovsky together, two tiny defenseman. I know they played well together in the past, but like the idea of two big guys paired with the two small guys. I've been a Mayfield fan for years, so I'd be thrilled if he could make the team along with Reinhart to add some size and talent to a small defense.

My surprise guy is Czuczman, I thought he looked excellent in his 23 game trial, and in the rookie scrimmage, he truly looked like a man amongst boys, great skater too. One of the few dmen in college hockey to hit double digits in goals, so he can add some offense. Plus he has good size as well.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I agree about reinhart, and I love these pairings. I always cringe at the thought of Hickey and Visnovsky together, two tiny defenseman. I know they played well together in the past, but like the idea of two big guys paired with the two small guys. I've been a Mayfield fan for years, so I'd be thrilled if he could make the team along with Reinhart to add some size and talent to a small defense.

My surprise guy is Czuczman, I thought he looked excellent in his 23 game trial, and in the rookie scrimmage, he truly looked like a man amongst boys, great skater too. One of the few dmen in college hockey to hit double digits in goals, so he can add some offense. Plus he has good size as well.

Wow, totally forgot about Czucz. He would have been my pick. The way he progressed towards the end of the season makes me think he can carve out an NHL career.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I want to pick a young guy or veteran defensive winger like Clutterbuck or Kulemin but I'm going to go with Lubomir Visnovsky. He actually has a healthy year and puts up 35 points.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Would Brock Nelson getting 60-70 points qualify? Because if he plays LW with JT and KO, that's not impossible.

dtrain24

May 5, 2014
Farmingdale, NY.
I think Strome and/or Nelson are really going to turn a lot of heads, including some of our own. I know we're expecting breakouts for them, especially if they play with the linemates we're projecting them to, but I wouldn't be shocked if we saw them each get around 25G and 50 points.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I think Strome and/or Nelson are really going to turn a lot of heads, including some of our own. I know we're expecting breakouts for them, especially if they play with the linemates we're projecting them to, but I wouldn't be shocked if we saw them each get around 25G and 50 points.

Yea, agreed. This is an interesting question in OP because it's personal as to who each of us think would be a surprise. For instance, Nelson being 0.75 PPG on that 1st line wouldn't surprise me. But it would be considered a 'breakout' year across the league.

As far as going along the lines that you are saying, the person who I think is going to turn the most heads as a function of how much people around the league are talking about him, aware of him, and what they are expecting of him, is Calvin de Haan. Of course, most of us are already pretty bullish on him, so it probably wouldn't surprise this group.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
A lot on this board have given up on Donovan. I think he surprises, plays solid, and starts regularly from about game 15 on.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Kulemin or Bailey.

Big fan of Kule, you'll notice all the little things he's doing if you watch him. Maybe he'll find his hands again and form an amazing line with JT and KO?

nc1972

Jun 3, 2006
:handclap:I say Kevin Czurchman simply because everyone is ignoring him. I paid close attention to him when he got here, and I see a smart mobile guy. We'll see

Good choice I too was impressed with him during his short stay.
I loved his progression started out a bit shaky but improved each game.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I agree with Strome/Nelson as the best chances but I'll go with Lee since he's not mentioned yet. If the kid gets half a season, he'll get 30+ points. Nelson is his main competition but with an injury or two, he'll get his shot.

Donovan better make the most of any opportunities because he has mucho competition on his heels and the organization will have to decide who stays over the this and next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00