who will be leafs starter

DPyro

Jun 28, 2010
Giving Reimer has an injury history and rebound control problems, Bernier just needs to live up to potential to get the #1 role.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
the amount that he was signed for, should be a pretty clear indicator of what the Leafs think of him in comparison to Reimer.

Reimer signed his deal 2 years ago, after 37 NHL games in one season. If he was RFA this offseason after 2 more years in the NHL, he'd have gotten more. Probably closer to what Bernier signed for,

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Reimer signed his deal 2 years ago, after 37 NHL games in one season. If he was RFA this offseason after 2 more years in the NHL, he'd have gotten more. Probably closer to what Bernier signed for,

Reimer will be an RFA after this upcoming season, and will be in that very same boat you describe that Bernier found himself in recently.

We are about to find out shortly what Reimer will be worth next summer when Leafs go to resign him. If he clearly wins the starting position over Bernier his contract will be >> than $2.9 mil that Jonathan just received and nice raise for himself and bigger hit to Leafs overall cap and a more prickly cap problem to deal with.

As far as team success goes it would be in the teams best interest to have the best goalie possible win the starters job.. However in regards to cap consequences are concerned it would be better if Bernier were the starter then Reimer as the backup next contract would be < Bernier.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Reimer will be an RFA after this upcoming season, and will be in that very same boat you describe that Bernier found himself in recently.

We are about to find out shortly what Reimer will be worth next summer when Leafs go to resign him. If he clearly wins the starting position over Bernier his contract will be >> than $2.9 mil that Jonathan just received and nice raise for himself and bigger hit to Leafs overall cap and a more prickly cap problem to deal with.

As far as team success goes it would be in the teams best interest to have the best goalie possible win the starters job.. However in regards to cap consequences are concerned it would be better if Bernier were the starter then Reimer as the backup next contract would be < Bernier.

I think they hope Bernier wins the starters job and Reimer proves to be solid so they can move Reimer for assets before he gets a raise.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think they hope Bernier wins the starters job and Reimer proves to be solid so they can move Reimer for assets before he gets a raise.

No question Plan A behind the Bernier acquisition premise on behalf of Leafs management was intended as an upgrade on Reimer.

If Reimer becomes the starter, then it doesn't reflect well on Nonis believing he acquired an upgrade, but in fact has a $2.9 mil backup playing limited games and Reimer an RFA due a big raise as a starter.

The incentive will be to give Bernier every opportunity possible to become the starter, all things considered.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If Bernier doesn't take the job from Reimer, we'll have a big problem on our hands.

Reimer wins the starting job, his contract demands will be much higher than what Bernier just signed for.

I think Nonis gave Bernier too much, too soon. He hasn't proved squat yet!!!

Penalty Kill Icing*

If Bernier doesn't take the job from Reimer, we'll have a big problem on our hands.

Reimer wins the starting job, his contract demands will be much higher than what Bernier just signed for.

I think Nonis gave Bernier too much, too soon. He hasn't proved squat yet!!!

This. Now, Nonis has to almost hope that Reimer doesn`t steal the #1 job.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Reimer will play opening night.

Bernier will be our starter by American Thanksgiving.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Not sure where all this blind faith in Bernier is coming from.

If Reimer from last year shows up, Bernier is going to have to turn into Pekka Rinne to one-up him.

mrsauve

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto
they diddnt trade for and then sign bernier to a 2.9 mil a year to be a backup. Its bernier's net to loose

leafspring*

I wouldn't be surprised if Reimer is moved in a package/multi player deal. I would suggest we would be getting back a forward that brings what Carlyle looks for in his players.

Reimer isn't very happy about the trade/signing of Bernier.

Bernier is the better all round goalie imo.

mrsauve

Dec 23, 2012
Toronto
Not sure where all this blind faith in Bernier is coming from.

If Reimer from last year shows up, Bernier is going to have to turn into Pekka Rinne to one-up him.

Do you watch the games...? reimer is not a top tier goalie..
Obviously nonis and carlyle dont think so either

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
The answer is neither...for the forseeable future anyway.

Until such time that we have to trade one of them, we'll be riding both.

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada

Were you watching the same games as us Leafs Fans? Cause Reimer was playing out of his mind and was the only reason why we were even in the Playoffs

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

Why is that obvious? I don't think it's obvious at all. Reimer and Bernier have an equal chance to become a top tier goalie in the NHL.

Make no mistake, Reimer is one of the big faces of the franchise. Reimer sells a lot of jerseys. To me he's got the edge in the eyes of management right now.

If anything Bernier was brought in to make Reimer better.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Do I watch the games :laugh: I didn't miss a game last year, or the year before. Not that it matters.

Whether you call Reimer a "top tier goalie" or not is irrelevant when he played like one. "But he's got a weak glove!" Sure. "His rebound control sucks!" Gotcha. At the end of the day, it's about stopping pucks, and only a handful of goalies were better at that than Reimer last year.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I think Bernier will get the nod for the first game of the year and will continue to play until there's a double header or if he falters. Reimer is no stranger to having to steal the starting job, since he's had to do it several times for Toronto. Even last year Scriv got the first game.

We have two great, relatively unproven NHL netminders. Both of them could easily be top 15 goalies this year. I do think that Reimer will steal the starting job though, and if we reach the playoffs the net will be his. I've seen Bernier play in person 3 times, and I watched nearly every Kings game last year in addition to the Leafs. The guy is a stud, but Reimer just has that special quality which I think will let him come out ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad