Reimer:
2012/13: 19W 8L .924SV% 2.46GAA
Total: 53W 32L .915SV% 2.71GAA

Pro: Very good save percentage
Con: Poor rebound control and fairly injury prone

Bernier:
2012/13: 9W 3L .922SV% 1.88GAA
Total: 29W 20L .912SV% 2.36GAA

Not sure of pros and cons but will say he did accumulate his stats with the La kings Who were just recently cup champions

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
Would be a big slap in the mouth for the guy who got them into the playoffs last year to start the regular season on the bench don't you think?

Sluck13

May 25, 2010
Would be a big slap in the mouth for the guy who got them into the playoffs last year to start the regular season on the bench don't you think?

I meant who will prove to be number after x amount of games

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
there hasn't been a goalie who could actually thrive off the pressure in Toronto... James Reimer, a Leaf drafty

and now a chance he wont stay with the Leafs forever?
now that is what you call a joke

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
I voted Bernier based on the fact I think he finishes the season with 45-52 games and Riemer with about 30-37. Based on that Bernier would start in the playoffs, but both goalies will have short leashes with respect to bad outings.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
I like Reimer as a guy but I prefer Bernier as a player. I'd love to keep them both but I don't see that happening.

I think Reimer will get traded at this year's trade deadline. His RFA contract will be up and I don't know if Nonis would be ready to throw 4M+ at him.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I could see both of them playing. Most teams tend to use a tandem. Bernier, however, is a very technically sound goalie and can handle the puck a lot better. He's going to enhance our counterattacks especially with Franson.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You probably shouldn't trade your existing backup, a young winger with some upside, a draft choice, and 500k for a backup.

My guess is it's Bernier's job to lose.

However Reimer starts opening night.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I like Reimer as a guy but I prefer Bernier as a player. I'd love to keep them both but I don't see that happening.

I think Reimer will get traded at this year's trade deadline. His RFA contract will be up and I don't know if Nonis would be ready to throw 4M+ at him.

That's very very dependent on the play of Bernier, and even then, Nonis may just wait until the offseason. And that's only if Bernier outplays Reimer, which is no guarantee at all.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I honestly think it will be close to an even split.

Sooooo I didn't vote.

SteveV*

It will start as a platoon, like last year, but Bernier will be given the job if he performs. Forget all the niceties and verbal gymnastics, mostly irrelevant stat comparisons, we got Bernier because the brass isn't completely sold on Reimer, period, obviously. Expect all the right things to be said, but underneath a quiet edge given to Bernier to take the job.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
there hasn't been a goalie who could actually thrive off the pressure in Toronto... James Reimer, a Leaf drafty

and now a chance he wont stay with the Leafs forever?
now that is what you call a joke

He's played 3 half seasons and he should be a Leaf forever?

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
they didnt bring in bernier to be a backup. if they were 100% confident in reimer they would have signed a veteran backup.

its a shame because reimer is really likeable and hard working. i think he would train hard to improve and he would be a really dependable calming force in the backend for years to come.

in my opinion the second bernier demonstrates that he is as good or better then reimer they will look to move reimer. i could see reimer getting dealt next off season assuming bernier is as advertised.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
It will start as a platoon, like last year, but Bernier will be given the job if he performs. Forget all the niceties and verbal gymnastics, mostly irrelevant stat comparisons, we got Bernier because the brass isn't completely sold on Reimer, period, obviously. Expect all the right things to be said, but underneath a quiet edge given to Bernier to take the job.

Boy, for me it's a tough call. When Bernier goes behind the net and stops a puck, without getting himself in trouble, and sets it up for his Dmen, this is going to help a lot. Also, a couple of big games from him with a couple of good glove saves and that will turn things in his favor. But, Reimer is not going to give in easily and I can see him rising to this challenge like he did the last one; also Reimer had 4 shutouts in 31 games on the team that gives up so many shots. I do think Bernier is technically better but, the most important thing is keeping the puck out, not how you do it.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The acquisition of Bernier suggests that Leaf management believes it will be him. But I believe Reimer is going to put up pretty good fight.

If Leafs go with "the hot" goalie at the moment, then they might be able to squeeze the best out of both in an 82 game season. In stretches of 3 games in 4 nights or back to back games it allows Carlyle to have a rested goalie available, which could turn out advantageous in the final standings results.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How can you prefer either at this point they haven't played a game.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Reimer will start the year, but it will become evident that Bernier is the starter once the year progresses. I still really believe in Bernier, I think he can become the star goalie that I always thought he would become when I saw him play for Lewiston. Either way, we are all the better for it if they push each other. Was ecstatic that we got Bernier for what should be consider a steal in the future (if not by seasons end).

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Who will be Leafs starter

I see a lot of people saying Bernier and I was wondering why that was

Stats

Reimer:
2012/13: 19W 8L .924SV% 2.46GAA
Total: 53W 32L .915SV% 2.71GAA

Pro: Very good save percentage
Con: Poor rebound control and fairly injury prone

Bernier:
2012/13: 9W 3L .922SV% 1.88GAA
Total: 29W 20L .912SV% 2.36GAA

Not sure of pros and cons but will say he did accumulate his stats with the La kings Who were just recently cup champions

the amount that he was signed for, should be a pretty clear indicator of what the Leafs think of him in comparison to Reimer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad