Speculation: Who will be better next year, Kuemper or Grubauer?

Who will be better next year, Kuemper or Grubauer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Let's find out if HFAvs gets it right. This has been a controversial topic since the UFA opening day.

Bonus: Will Kuemper re-sign in Colorado?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Kuemper will be better.

If Kuemps stays relatively healthy the Avs will re-sign him. He finally has a chance to play for a great team, I'd imagine he'd want to stay.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kuemper. He's gonna be behind a much better Defense then the one he had in Arizona and on the flip side Grubauer is gonna be behind a much worse one.

I think Gruby ends up in the ~.910 range while Kuemper ends up in the ~.925 range.

The better question is probably who will start more games.

Reactions: S E P H and Barklez

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
If by better you mean who posts the more impressive stats, it definitely should be Kuemper. Voted equal as these two are more or less equal goalies.

I would rather have Grubauer though and keep the assets.

Last edited:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think my biggest fear is that Keumper plays lights out and stays healthy, we don’t win the cup and we sign him long term and he reverts back to being a bandaid.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Instead of such a lame response, what part do you disagree with?

Is Kuemper really a better goaltender. It's definitely debatable.
Have you watched Grubauer in the playoffs? Sure he won us some games but, he definitely lost us some as well. Before Frank got hurt him and Gru were neck and neck. I don’t think there will be any doubt who our starter will be next season

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Is Kuemper really a better goaltender. It's definitely debatable.
It's not a debate outside of this board and even here it's not really a debate. Kuemper is seen as a top 5-7 goalie in the league and Grubauer in the late teens.

The questions are around his health and his contract situation, not who's the better goalie.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Should be about equal to me. Kuemper will be more consistent but I don’t think he will steal games in as dramatic a fashion as Gru did.

I do agree with @TruePowerSlave that it was somewhat a waste of assets though.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Should be about equal to me. Kuemper will be more consistent but I don’t think he will steal games in as dramatic a fashion as Gru did.

I do agree with @TruePowerSlave that it was somewhat a waste of assets though.
I’d lay good wood it’s the exact opposite of what you just wrote. Grubs will be more consistent and Kuemper will demonstrate the higher level of play stealing more games and flashing the higher end saves.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’d lay good wood it’s the exact opposite of what you just wrote. Grubs will be more consistent and Kuemper will demonstrate the higher level of play stealing more games and flashing the higher end saves.
Why? Grub’s HDSV% is among the best in the league? Kuemper is good but his size allows for him to make a lot more routine saves while not making the spectacular ones Grub does. Equal talents, very different styles.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
How many games did Grubauer really steal last year though?
Multiple against Vegas. RS and playoffs. That one against Anaheim to start the season. There was one vs
STL at the end of the year as well. I mean he laid a decent amount of stinkers as well which should less common place with Kuemper though.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Multiple against Vegas. RS and playoffs. That one against Anaheim to start the season. There was one vs
STL at the end of the year as well. I mean he laid a decent amount of stinkers as well which should less common place with Kuemper though.

You could probably count the games he stole last year on one hand.

I still think he’s a solid goalie, just that he wasn’t asked to do that a lot.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You could probably count the games he stole last year on one hand.

I still think he’s a solid goalie, just that he wasn’t asked to do that a lot.
Of course. Kuemper won’t need to steal games often, but their strengths are different. I don’t know why that’s such a controversial take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad