Speculation: Who will be better next year, Kuemper or Grubauer?

Who will be better next year, Kuemper or Grubauer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
missing the controversy here I guess. The only way Grub has a better season is if he’s traded.

I think you might be right considering the votes so far lol. Maybe I should create another topic with "how many games Kuemper will miss due to injury"

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Kuemper will be better and will be re-signed.

Gru will be giving up by mid season when he has nothing more to play for.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Of course. Kuemper won’t need to steal games often, but their strengths are different. I don’t know why that’s such a controversial take.

I don’t think it’s controversial to say they have different strengths/styles, but I just think Kuemper is better.

I suspect Grubuar’s numbers will drop not playing behind Colorado. Something to consider, Francouz posted a better SV% last year than Grubuar did this year.

He has a chance to prove people wrong though, if he has a great year in Seattle.

Reactions: Barklez

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Kuemper will post better numbers behind this Avs team. Question is how many games he'll play. Personally I don't care how many games he plays in the regular season as long as he's healthy in the playoffs when it matters.
Give me healthy Kuemper for a playoff run over Grubi anytime.

That's all we need, really. Avs would likely make the playoffs with Francouz and Jojo.

Reactions: Richard88

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don’t think it’s controversial to say they have different strengths/styles, but I just think Kuemper is better.

I suspect Grubuar’s numbers will drop not playing behind Colorado. Something to consider, Francouz posted a better SV% last year than Grubuar did this year.

He has a chance to prove people wrong though, if he has a great year in Seattle.
Kuemper could very well be an upgrade in net and it wouldn’t surprise me. I think overall they’re in the same tier of goalie. I think the only guys that make a noticeable difference from what we’ve previously had are the truly elite guys such as Helly and Vasi.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Kuemper could very well be an upgrade in net and it wouldn’t surprise me. I think overall they’re in the same tier of goalie. I think the only guys that make a noticeable difference from what we’ve previously had are the truly elite guys such as Helly and Vasi.

And I think there’s a large number of folks, including Avs fans, that consider Kuemper to be in the tier just below the elite guys, and Grubi to be in the tier below the Kuemper/Varly/Rask types.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
And I think there’s a large number of folks, including Avs fans, that consider Kuemper to be in the tier just below the elite guys, and Grubi to be in the tier below the Kuemper/Varly/Rask types.
I mean what separates Kuemper and Gru? Gru has a better career SV% and GAA. Not by much but he has better number and their single season peaks aren’t far off each other. Last 3 seasons average out pretty close with an edge to Kuemper. Overall they just seem like similar level goalies with different strengths to me.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Let's ne real here, had Frank not been injured, he would have wrestled the starting job away from Gru this year.

He was well on his way to do it before his body imploded on itself, and I have no doubts that his stats would have been just as inflated as Gru's was behind our D.

In conclusion, there really isn't a debate as to who will have the better season, have you even looked at Seattle's roster? A mid-sized fart would knock their whole top line down, they're that soft.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I think my biggest fear is that Keumper plays lights out and stays healthy, we don’t win the cup and we sign him long term and he reverts back to being a bandaid.

Or he doesn't sign another contract with the Avs since they want to cheap out.

So next season its another first and roster player for a soon to be UFA goalie.

Rinse and repeat.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I mean what separates Kuemper and Gru? Gru has a better career SV% and GAA. Not by much but he has better number and their single season peaks aren’t far off each other. Last 3 seasons average out pretty close with an edge to Kuemper. Overall they just seem like similar level goalies with different strengths to me.

Are you basing that off of watching both guys or looking at their numbers? Not trying to be a dick but one is very clearly the better goalie to my eyes. Grubauer has made some big saves for the Avs when they needed them but otherwise has always been underwhelming to me. I would’ve aimed for a guy like Gibson as his replacement but it’s not even a question for me that Kuemper is the better goalie.

Grubauer has generally been what the Avs needed and nothing more. Kuemper has been a better goalie on a significantly worse hockey clubs IMO. I just don’t really see where the debate is. Grubi is an adequate starting goalie but I’ve never seen him as much above average starting goalie talent level. Kuemper to me is in the tier above, a goalie that can still be on the top end of good, bottom end of great, while playing on a bad team. I’m genuinely excited to see what he can do playing behind the Avs.

Injuries are a concern, but Grubauer has shown that only having to make 15 saves a night can be good for your health/longevity.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Keummers will be better, but I think Timmins was way too much to give up.
Timmins would have been the d man I would have gave up as well. He has a lot of potential but possible one hit away from another concussion. I wish him the best but I’d rather him gone then any of our other young defensive prospects

Reactions: Richard88

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Are you basing that off of watching both guys or looking at their numbers? Not trying to be a dick but one is very clearly the better goalie to my eyes. Grubauer has made some big saves for the Avs when they needed them but otherwise has always been underwhelming to me. I would’ve aimed for a guy like Gibson as his replacement but it’s not even a question for me that Kuemper is the better goalie.

Grubauer has generally been what the Avs needed and nothing more. Kuemper has been a better goalie on a significantly worse hockey clubs IMO. I just don’t really see where the debate is. Grubi is an adequate starting goalie but I’ve never seen him as much above average starting goalie talent level. Kuemper to me is in the tier above, a goalie that can still be on the top end of good, bottom end of great, while playing on a bad team. I’m genuinely excited to see what he can do playing behind the Avs.

Injuries are a concern, but Grubauer has shown that only having to make 15 saves a night can be good for your health/longevity.
I mean it’s both. From seeing both of them I don’t see a huge difference between them in the end. Grub will have high peaks and lower valleys but Kuemper gives you more consistent performances night in and night out. And Kuemper’s consistency(well when he plays that is)could be better for a team like the Avs and that wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Reactions: Barklez

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Timmins would have been the d man I would have gave up as well. He has a lot of potential but possible one hit away from another concussion. I wish him the best but I’d rather him gone then any of our other young defensive prospects
He was our most developed young D men on the right side (other than Makar). For a team in win now mode, we should have given up Barron or Helleson. I love EJ, but if he goes down again, we're screwed without some more depth on the right side. G struggles on that side and we need to stop playing him over there.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I voted for "equal" because I really think it's going to be pretty close. They're both very good, and while Grubi might post lesser numbers than Kuemper because he's not playing on easy mode in Colorado anymore, I think he'll bail that team out of a few games and have himself a really good season. If Kuemper posts better numbers but gets hurt, and Grubi stays healthy, I'd consider it about equal all things considered.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Was going to pick Grubauer. But then I realized he played much of last season so he’s probably due for a nagging, season long injury.

Had to go Kuemper.

But maybe Francouz ends up the real winner.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think it’s an unfair question given teams they play behind. If both are healthy and on the same team I’d expect their stats to be pretty similar but I’m taking the guy behind Colorado’s group over the guy behind Seattle’s.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Will Keumper have a better season than Varly next year? :(

Didn't love how Gru came and broke up our Russian relationship, or how he peaced and took our trade assetswith him. Do we play Seattle this year? Can't wait to see Nate rip a hatty glove side. Maybe a little bump by Nuke.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Kuemper reminds me so much of Manny Fernandez.

Av's should consider it a blessing if he starts 40 games.

Anyways general consensus should be:

Kuemper will make a bigger impact in the games he plays, while Grub will likely play more games and will have a greater impact on the season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->