Who wears the "A" on defense?

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
Letang was Captain on his Junior Team Canada when they won gold, over the likes of Jonathan Toews, Marc Staal, and Luc Bourdon. That is a big deal for Team Canada, even if it's a junior team. He apparently has leadership qualities, but I don't think this past coaching staff ever gave him the chance.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
There's no reason why one of the A's has to go to anyone on D.

That said, with Sid and Malkin always having the C and one of the A's, and Kunitz usually getting the other A. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3rd A split between Kunitz, Letang, or Martin. It would make more sense to pin it on Letang to put him in that leadership role with the young D on the team and Martin possibly not on the team after this season.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
Letang was Captain on his Junior Team Canada when they won gold, over the likes of Jonathan Toews, Marc Staal, and Luc Bourdon. That is a big deal for Team Canada, even if it's a junior team.

He apparently has leadership qualities, but I don't think this past coaching staff ever gave him the chance.
Je me demande pourquoi...

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
So give Letang the A just because a defensemen needs to have it? Give the A to whoever is a good leader regardless of their position

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
So give Letang the A just because a defensemen needs to have it? Give the A to whoever is a good leader regardless of their position

addsy-thumb-6-10-11.jpg

Like this guy, right? :sarcasm:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't really care that much. I'd be cool with giving it to Martin (assuming he was sticking around for the whole year) but it seems like the team and Letang want him to take a bigger leadership role. So give it to him I guess.

Michael8771*

Not that I 100% agree with it, but I think Letang gets the A. With Martin's contract expiring and Letang being signed long term as well as playing here for his entire career. I can't imagine it not going to him.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I'd like to see:

Crosby - C (obviously)
Malkin - A (obviously)
Kunitz - A (Home games - first 41, then away games second 41)
Letang - A (Away games - first 41, then home games second 41)

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

Hate to say it, but I agree with this. Never understood how forcing someone into a leadership role is expected to make them a better leader.

On a side note, how are the CS and As generally given out in the NHL? Most teams I've played on in any sport let the players vote, but in pro sports it always seems to just end up the star players.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm not sure why Kunitz needs an A. One thing that letter signifies is that you're allowed to bargain with the referees without getting a penalty. I've never seen him talking to them at all.

That said, it would probably be an undeserved slap in the face to remove it now.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I'm not sure why Kunitz needs an A. One thing that letter signifies is that you're allowed to bargain with the referees without getting a penalty. I've never seen him talking to them at all.

That said, it would probably be an undeserved slap in the face to remove it now.

Exactly. Kunitz plays with Crosby, I don't think you need both of them running to the ref. And Kunitz doesn't even do that. Maybe give Horn an A, I've never seen Malkin talking to the ref either.

Even better, let each line have a C/A. Letting each line be able to talk to the ref

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It seems silly to give it to Martin if he doesn't want to be a part of the team going forward. I'd give it to Tanger.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Unless Martin let management know he's sticking around, Letang is our only solidified future on defense right now. The A will give Letang confidence and some pride which may help his poor judgement from time to time.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Any number of guys are worthy. Letang or Martin wouldn't be bad choices. I've seen Brandon Sutter wear the A this preseason as well.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I'd give it to Letang. Time for him to step in as a leader for the team. He's being paid like a leader, he will be expected to be a leader on the ice and he should also take the extra responsibility off the ice.

C - Crosby
A - Malkin
A - Letang

Those three are the core players of the team. They are expected to lead the team.

Obviously Kunitz will not lose his A this season anyways so let Letang and Kunitz rotate the second A this season. That would gradually bring Letang into the leadership core. then next season we could make him permanent A and let Kunitz only serve as an alternate captain when one of the three is injured (hopefully never, but knowing their injury history....).

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Didn't we have 3 As last year? I remember having 3 As when Sid was hurt with his jaw ordeal and then I don't think we ever stopped. Malkin, Kunitz, and the 3rd A got passed around between players like Orpik and Adams.

I could just be crazy.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Didn't we have 3 As last year? I remember having 3 As when Sid was hurt with his jaw ordeal and then I don't think we ever stopped. Malkin, Kunitz, and the 3rd A got passed around between players like Orpik and Adams.

I could just be crazy.

Yes, we've had three A's for a few years now. Atleast since the start of the lockout shortened 2013 season when Kunitz was named as an alternate captain. Malkin has been the other permanent 'A' while Orpik and Kunitz rotated the other 'A'. Some others (like Dupuis, Cooke in the past had 'A' for some games etc.) might have wore the 'A' when one of those have been out.

We may have had three 'A's even before that since didn't Kunitz just take it over from Staal? Don't remember exactly how it went but I believe Malkin, Orpik and Staal were the three alternates before the lockout shortened season. Staal obviously got traded and Kunitz got the open 'A'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad