Who wears the "A" on defense?

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
With orpik gone is this the year letang gets the A? Or will it go to Paul Martin?

Traditionally the last few years we've had one "A" on offense and one on defense so I'm just assuming one dman will get it.

Here's my guess:
C- Crosby
A- Malkin
A- Martin
Then maybe Kunitz/letang rotate

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Letang. He's not only ready, he's relishing the idea.

I'd link his interview with Madden, but google isn't helping me find it.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Martin deserves it more than Letang IMO. He's a much better example to follow than Letang.

Did we forget this already?
kris+letnag+shh.png

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Martin is also going to leave in a year if he doesn't get traded before then. Put Letang in a position to lead and I think it will help him a lot.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
From the same season

Ferraro was 100% right at the time, not that either thing is particularly relevant going into 2015.

WhoDaresWins

Nov 9, 2008
Pittsburgh
Letang. He's not only ready, he's relishing the idea.

I'd link his interview with Madden, but google isn't helping me find it.

One of the best interviews I've heard both Tanger and Madden do in a while. This past year really had an impact on Tanger.

http://www.iheart.com/show/139-Mark-Madden-Super-Genius/episodes

It links through iheart Radio but not directly. Just scroll down a little - September 25 Hour 3 Segment 3. It made me log in the other day but not today (unless it remembered).

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
It should be Letang. He's here for the long haul. I also think it will make him feel like a leader out there for the young guys.

Having no assistant on D is stupid. Sorry, Kunitz.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Martin deserves it more than Letang IMO. He's a much better example to follow than Letang.

kris+letnag+shh.png

Letang has been a leader in every league he has played in. He also was the only one sticking up for Crosby in that series which is what everyone has been clamoring for the last two years. Also, he kicked Timonen's ass. The whole issue of that series was poor line management and nobody playing defense.

Sluggermatt15

Mar 30, 2014
Nation's Capital
I think Letang is a solid choice, too. He's making a good chunk of $, is one of the top defensemen on the Penguins, and has a greater level of responsibility. Coming off an injury, he'll need to produce for Pittsburgh this season. Really a nice way for him to emerge as a leader on defense.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If one wanted to make a stab at keeping him, giving him an 'A' could be one of those ways of showing love. Not saying we should - just saying.
In any case he has played more like an 'A' than Letang.

I really don't think its an issue of him wanting to leave so much as it is an issue of him wanting to be given the money he deserves. We cannot pay Paul Martin what he is worth.

Honestly, Letang seems like one of the best "team" guys we have. He works incredibly hard. He is one of the few guys who will try to step up for teammates. And Honestly, I just see him as someone who will step up and relish a leadership role. I think it would make him be a smarter player knowing he is being looked at for leadership. Just playing a handful of games with Despres seemed to make him a smarter player.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Letang wears the A before Martin. There shouldn't be any rotation.

C-Sid
A-Malkin
A-Letang

Rinse and repeat.

Injuries - Kunitz, and Martin.

Yeup.

kris+letnag+shh.png

That's rich. How quickly you forgot Paul Martin was so abysmal that year he made Zbynek Michalek look tailor-fit for Bylsma's "system."

I'm not overly concerned with giving Paul Martin incentive to stay when there's a massive log-jam of young talent on defense and a dumpster fire in the top six at wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad