News Article: Who We Might Lose to Waivers

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I wouldn't lose sleep if any of these guys were claimed...of course it would be nice to have depth with all these guys, Strait would probably hurt the most but in my eyes it would be less players in the way of Reinhart...Conacher and Cmac? Less players in the way of Strome and Lee.

Would like to keep them all but i dont see this as to much of an issue

Again NOBODY is in the way of Strome and Lee. They need to EARN a spot not have one handed to them. Extra development time in Bridgeport will do nothing to hinder there progress.

PS: Conacher is not going anywhere he is the perfect "utility" player for this team.

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Boulton is here because he's a good locker room guy and well liked by his teammates. He's a 14th forward that will play in maybe a dozen games either to neutralize an equally worthless (on ice) lunkhead on the opposition, or if an emergency situation arises (such as an injury in warm ups, where you can't get a body up here from BPT by game time). For those games when it matters, he can still throw the fists with anyone. Having him around is fine, I think, and I'd certainly rather have him sitting around than someone more talented or that's less valuable for those "special" situations.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
http://www.lighthousehockey.com/201...y-place-which-islanders-might-become-the-ones

- CMac, Strait, Conacher and Brennan are on a 1-way. $675,000, $775,000, $600,000 and $600,000.

- Skille has an AHL salary of $300,000 and an NHL salary of $750,000

- Zolnierczyk has an AHL salary of $300,000 and an NHL salary of $650,000

my guess is that these all guys will be sent down, and will all pass through without being claimed. Conacher has the best chance of being claimed, IMO. no one will claim Strait, for sure, as he also has a 1 way next year, of $925,000.

seems like Snow had to pay the piper, and has given these tweeners pretty good contracts.

I hope that Dah Ranger$ claims CMac so he can do to them what he has done to the Isles! As for the rest, no one but a seriously desperate team would claim the likes of CMac, Brennan, Skille or Zolnierczyk. Only Strait and maybe Conacher might get claimed.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I hope that Dah Ranger$ claims CMac so he can do to them what he has done to the Isles! As for the rest, no one but a seriously desperate team would claim the likes of CMac, Brennan, Skille or Zolnierczyk. Only Strait and maybe Conacher might get claimed.

I'm sorry, I just disagree with this. Each year we cry and complain about how we are riddled with injuries and have no depth. Good thing is we have some choices this year, but it is important we keep some depth where we can. Obviously we can't keep everyone, but that doesn't mean they are useless.

We love to trash the players on our team and think they have literally no value around the league. "Only a seriously desperate team would claim Peter Regin once we waive him, let alone trade something for him." Oh wait, that was the Blackhawks, who found use for him.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Again NOBODY is in the way of Strome and Lee. They need to EARN a spot not have one handed to them. Extra development time in Bridgeport will do nothing to hinder there progress.

PS: Conacher is not going anywhere he is the perfect "utility" player for this team.

Did Regin and Bouchard "earn" their spots last year?

IMO, playing junk guys like that instead of the kids you need to invest in and develop rarely has good long-term implications for the team.

I also really don't see how playing a meh guy like Conacher instead of the future core of this team is going to have positive implications.

My prediction is that Conacher winds up on waivers and clears. Maybe he gets called up when injuries inevitably hits, maybe he doesn't.

BroadwayJay*

I wouldn't say folks are advocating for Conacher over someone like Lee. Folks are advocating for Cory Conacher over Eric Boulton who brings nothing that Matt Martin couldn't do.

As an aside, Cory Conacher is the same age as Anders Lee and has a lot more NHL points to his name. We shouldn't act like he is valueless, in the way that Eric Boulton is.

Is there any among us who doubt whether Eric Boulton would clear to BPT?

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I wouldn't say folks are advocating for Conacher over someone like Lee. Folks are advocating for Cory Conacher over Eric Boulton who brings nothing that Matt Martin couldn't do.

As an aside, Cory Conacher is the same age as Anders Lee and has a lot more NHL points to his name. We shouldn't act like he is valueless, in the way that Eric Boulton is.

Is there any among us who doubt whether Eric Boulton would clear to BPT?

Well, I don't think that points are the indication of what a player will contribute in the coming year. Lee, for example, is valuable not only for his offensive but for the size and potential power role he can play. Also, I'm pretty sure that most people are enthusiastic about Lee for his potential, and personally, don't see that potential with Conacher.

He's a bubble player, who was available as a UFA because other teams didn't want to give him a one-way deal. Not entirely sure why we are discussing him so much here (not meant as a shot at either you or allaboard)

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
Strait has a few years of NHL experience — good, bad or otherwise. I can't seem him on waivers at all.

A deal may yet be done sometime as camp is winding down.

The obvious candidates fighting for a jobs — Colin MacDonald, Casey Cizikas, Matt Martin, Cal Clutterbuck, Anders Lee, Cory Conacher, Jack Skille, Griffin Reinhart, Kevin Czuczman, Josh Bailey, Michael Grabner to name a handful...

Obviously I would be shocked to see any of the more veteran among this group on waivers.

A trade involving any of Grabner, Bailey, Cizikas, Martin, Clutterbuck would make some sense. These are young players with term on contract and offer other teams value. While Snow has had some trouble with asset management, I think (I HOPE) he has learned his lesson. Teams in need of depth forwards who can play a roll who may have excess defense — they should be the best possible trade partners.

I could see Conacher or MacDonald put on waivers over other players.

I think Strome makes the team, though I could also see him begin the season in BP in order to showcase another forward for trade. I would likewise hate to see Lee not make this team.

The Islanders are able to carry 23 on the roster. I could see them carrying the max in order to keep everyone on a short leash. That said — if you carry 2 goalies, and 7 D then you can hold onto 14 forwards of the 16 under contract. At least 2 forwards have to move.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Did Regin and Bouchard "earn" their spots last year?

IMO, playing junk guys like that instead of the kids you need to invest in and develop rarely has good long-term implications for the team.

I also really don't see how playing a meh guy like Conacher instead of the future core of this team is going to have positive implications.

My prediction is that Conacher winds up on waivers and clears. Maybe he gets called up when injuries inevitably hits, maybe he doesn't.

You'e 110% right, but I think the situation this year is a little different - the Isles aren't trying to add more staff a skeleton crew as a means of insulating their youth - their youth is loudly knocking on the door (Reinhart less so than Strome, Nelson & Lee) and there are only so many roster spots to offer.

I'm sorry, I just disagree with this. Each year we cry and complain about how we are riddled with injuries and have no depth. Good thing is we have some choices this year, but it is important we keep some depth where we can. Obviously we can't keep everyone, but that doesn't mean they are useless.

We love to trash the players on our team and think they have literally no value around the league. "Only a seriously desperate team would claim Peter Regin once we waive him, let alone trade something for him." Oh wait, that was the Blackhawks, who found use for him.

This is why there's still some use for the Colin McDonalds and Eric Boultons in Bridgeport. Let's not forget that his whole LINE sucked horribly last year, and the year before that he was on pace for 30 points and an even plus/minus, rather than that atrocious -22. I know some don't put weight on +/- or even think it's a worthless stat, but if a whole line or 5-man unit can regularly be on the ice for more even strength goals for than against, something's being done right.)

If they start in BPT, let them fight their way up like anyone else. Shame we may get a plug plucked off of waivers, but I think anticipating players getting taken is a small sign that the team has started to move from being the one looking for the waiver deals.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's a double edged sword because you're going to need your depth throughout the season to stay competitve when guys get injured or slump, but you also want to ice your best lineup so you're playing meaningful games late in the season.

BroadwayJay*

Well, I don't think that points are the indication of what a player will contribute in the coming year. Lee, for example, is valuable not only for his offensive but for the size and potential power role he can play. Also, I'm pretty sure that most people are enthusiastic about Lee for his potential, and personally, don't see that potential with Conacher.

He's a bubble player, who was available as a UFA because other teams didn't want to give him a one-way deal. Not entirely sure why we are discussing him so much here (not meant as a shot at either you or allaboard)

I think he's a decent player and I wanted the Isles to claim him when he was waived by Ottawa.

I don't think he's a world-beater by any stretch.

My primary point is that I don't think we should be choosing between Cory Conacher or Anders Lee while Eric Boulton is on the NHL roster.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
I think he's a decent player and I wanted the Isles to claim him when he was waived by Ottawa.

I don't think he's a world-beater by any stretch.

My primary point is that I don't think we should be choosing between Cory Conacher or Anders Lee while Eric Boulton is on the NHL roster.

Jay, we typically agree a lot more than we disagree, and I think this exchange is yet another of that.

Boulton simply doesn't belong in the NHL.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
From the stuff I've read Conacher is skating well at camp. I think Boulton is likely one of the odd men out, as Martin can fill that role.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
How about Matt Martin sitting?

Him too 14 forwards LOL. I'm just trying to make the point that young players playing in Bridgeport is not a bad thing. We haven't even touched on the injuries that are sure to occur !!

Nelson - Taveres - Okposo
Strome - Grabovski - Kulimen
Lee - Neilson - Grabner
Conacher - Czikas - Clutterbuck

Martin/McDonald

Boulton - Realeased
Bailey - Traded (Marc Methot)

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
From the stuff I've read Conacher is skating well at camp. I think Boulton is likely one of the odd men out, as Martin can fill that role.

I think the Islanders could send Boulton to Bridgeport without fear of him being picked up(then call him up when needed), but with Calgary going goon crazy this summer you never know

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think the Islanders could send Boulton to Bridgeport without fear of him being picked up(then call him up when needed), but with Calgary going goon crazy this summer you never know

I don't think Boulton would get claimed either, but would he have to go through re-entry waivers when called back up?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I don't think Boulton would get claimed either, but would he have to go through re-entry waivers when called back up?

Re-entry waivers were eliminated in the most recent CBA, so that's not a concern. Once you get them through waivers at the beginning of the season, you can recall them without concern. And generally, it's not too hard to get them through at the beginning, since teams should all have full rosters.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
Him too 14 forwards LOL. I'm just trying to make the point that young players playing in Bridgeport is not a bad thing. We haven't even touched on the injuries that are sure to occur !!

Nelson - Taveres - Okposo
Strome - Grabovski - Kulimen
Lee - Neilson - Grabner
Conacher - Czikas - Clutterbuck

Martin/McDonald

Boulton - Realeased
Bailey - Traded (Marc Methot)

I wouldn't mind seeing GM Snow flipping Josh Bailey for Marc Methot, a change of scenery would be a good thing for Bailey and Methot does bring size (6'3") and experience (397 games) but a possible $5m for 5 years contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00