Who wasn't a WWF/WWE Champion, but deserved to be?

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Lol no he wouldn’t.

First, there was nothing that was toppling Hogan. Second, he was a crack head by the time he went north. Third, his program with the free birds was white hot. His “overness “ had more to do with the Freebirds being hated then him actually being over.

Most of these guys didn’t need a title run. They were over without one. Rude has WCW champ and that didn’t put asses in seats.

Title runs shouldn't be to get a guy over. It should go to a top guy. That's how it was back then.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah but…

Henning did nothing for the AWA as champ.

Nobody was going over Hogan. Henning was IC champ in a time when the best workers were usually given that belt. ( Honky sold tickets). That’s a lot more then most can say.

I like Hennig's AWA work as the top face. Not his fault that the ship was essentially sunk. Regardless, I said that he deserved it based on talent. He was never the top draw in the company. Definitely should have received a bigger push in 1990 to set him up for the post-Hogan era.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I like Hennig's AWA work as the top face. Not his fault that the ship was essentially sunk. Regardless, I said that he deserved it based on talent. He was never the top draw in the company. Definitely should have received a bigger push in 1990 to set him up for the post-Hogan era.
He kind of had a huge push with the vignettes. Henning really didn’t need a belt in the E. He was over with his gimmick

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Lots of good names mentioned here, Wade Barrett is another one if only because it would have meant a ton for him to hold it at the time. A lot of guys would have been great champions, but also didn't necessarily need the rub as much as others.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He kind of had a huge push with the vignettes. Henning really didn’t need a belt in the E. He was over with his gimmick

I love the vignettes. Ultimately his health was his undoing but it is a shame that he never had a real main event level run in WWF. We never really got to see healthy, storyline-backed Perfect vs. Savage, Flair, or Michaels. In an ideal situation, a healthy Perfect is there to spare us from a one year long Yokozuna world title run in 1993.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
Uf, i rememeber a Backlund vs Bret Hart fight. Oh god, was that boooring.
Are you kidding? Mr Backlund was hilarious.

Im talking his title run. SSBG was the “top guy” but they still put the belt on Backlund. You can make a case for Bruno and yes I know he didn’t want the belt.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
clearly not the point of the thread though. the thread is obviously looking for guys who never held the WWF/E Championship or the World Heavyweight Title
Well, WCW was purchased by Vince. That means it’s WWE and the “world heavyweight title” is nothing more then the big gold belt.

And lol @ the WCW international world title not being a world title. Look who carried it and see if they didn’t think it was considered a legit belt.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The WCW international title seemed to be a replacement for the NWA withdrawing from WCW, but it was represented by the Big Gold Belt in both names, even though WCW had its own championship belt which the Big Gold Belt then replaced. It’s probably more lost to history but it does seem to have been intended to be ‘a’ top title, just not ‘the’ top title since they had more than one and itself short-lived.

Reactions: Kaner9

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The WCW International title was presented as though it was a world championship level belt but a world title from a basically non-existent entity couldn't have that much value. It wasn't the equivalent of WCW's heavyweight title at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad