Who was the person in school who wasn't a Leafs fan and always had to make sure you knew?

salamicartier

Jul 22, 2018
The thread about the 99-04 Leafs reminds me of a guy I went to elementary school/high school with in early 2000s. He was a Devils fan and of course at that time the Devils won 2 Cups and beat the Leafs in the playoffs twice. Never a pleasant playoff time! It's interesting I don't recall any over-the-top Habs fans, but they weren't doing very well at that point, but I'm sure depending on where you lived that may have been an element.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
a classmate who i was semi friends with (his brother more than him) would always chrip "Toronto's out of the playoffs" when they got axed. His dad and brother were Leafs fans and he didn't even watch

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I grew up in Montreal, so I had the opposite problem..

Nothing like going out with some friends to watch a game at the bar and have them loudly announce to anyone I spoke to I was Leafs fan.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The thread about the 99-04 Leafs reminds me of a guy I went to elementary school/high school with in early 2000s. He was a Devils fan and of course at that time the Devils won 2 Cups and beat the Leafs in the playoffs twice. Never a pleasant playoff time! It's interesting I don't recall any over-the-top Habs fans, but they weren't doing very well at that point, but I'm sure depending on where you lived that may have been an element.

Honestly, who in the hell would be a Devils fan? lol. I would immediately just call them a bandwagon fan, unless they show me their 1985 Devils season tickets.

That was the type of hockey you'd tune in to help you sleep. Just put the TV on snooze and give it 25 minutes or so and you'll be out before your TV shuts off.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

downer ending

Jul 5, 2020
Scarbz
my best friend doesn't watch hockey buts hates the leafs with a passion. he even called me in 2013 after the bergeron goal to rub it in.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The janitor
upload_2020-8-24_23-16-19.jpeg

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Even more extreme, but this reminds me something along these lines. Dmitri Mironov's kid went to my high-school, would come decked out in full Russia gear for WJC games when everyone was supporting Canada.

When I was in elementary, seemed every kid liked the Leafs but also liked some other team (generally Avs or Red Wings in the mid to late 90's).

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Everyone.

I went to school in Winnipeg. No one gave a shit about the Leafs.

Then I moved to the Okanagan Valley. No one gave a shit about hockey.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Lots of Leafs fans in Windsor, but of course a ton of Wings fans....even through the lean early 80s when they both sucked. I remember having debates with one buddy on the bus to high school, and he even admitted that the Leafs would win a cup before his Wings did....sadly a few years later he was wrong. I also remember going to JLA executive suites (my Dad's company had season tickets) and, just like now, there number of empty seats at a Wings game outnumbered the actually # of fans in them.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
my best friend doesn't watch hockey buts hates the leafs with a passion. he even called me in 2013 after the bergeron goal to rub it in.
There's a weird contingent of people in Toronto who hate the Leafs because of the attention they got over the Raptors. I love both teams, so it always struck me as crazy, but there is a certain contingent of Raps fans who feel the Leafs relegated them to the 2nd class team. Granted, there are also Leaf fans who dislike the Raps, but they don't tend to be as vocal.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There's a weird contingent of people in Toronto who hate the Leafs because of the attention they got over the Raptors. I love both teams, so it always struck me as crazy, but there is a certain contingent of Raps fans who feel the Leafs relegated them to the 2nd class team. Granted, there are also Leaf fans who dislike the Raps, but they don't tend to be as vocal.
Is it possible that some Raptors fans feel that way since Scotiabank Arena was originally going to be built just for them, until the Raptors were purchased by MLSE and it was decided the Leafs would also be playing there.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is it possible that some Raptors fans feel that way since Scotiabank Arena was originally going to be built just for them, until the Raptors were purchased by MLSE and it was decided the Leafs would also be playing there.
Naw, its due to the Leafs seemingly getting preferential treatment in local coverage, and games. For example, Leafs essentially having a lock on Saturday night games, whereas Raps for years were about 1 o'clock Sunday games, even when it went against the NFL.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
When you've been in the league/city 100+ years, and you have the fan base that the Leafs do not just in Toronto, or Ontario, but nationwide......sorry Raptors fans.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
When you've been in the league/city 100+ years, and you have the fan base that the Leafs do not just in Toronto, or Ontario, but nationwide......sorry Raptors fans.
I wouldn't be shocked if the Raptors now have a larger fanbase nationwide.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I wouldn't be shocked if the Raptors now have a larger fanbase nationwide.

Hard to say...is basketball as big as hockey? Or is it bandwagon fans? It wouldn't be surprising in a way as they are the only NBA team......kind of like the Jays.

I was mildly interested to see Toronto get the Raptors franchise (despite the Jurassic Park gimmicky name), and never followed or watched a game (I personally couldn't care less about basketball), and only tuned in to the last part of the playoffs last year - haven't really payed attention this year either. I won't buy any merchandise because I really don't care.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
We saw fans across Canada celebrate when the Raptors won last year. When the Leafs win a Stanley Cup we won't see the same reactions in Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary.

Of course not, they've got their own teams. Raptors (and Blue Jays) are plastered on Canadian cable sports coast to coast with no Canadian competition. Not with the Leafs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That's because those cities don't have competing NBA teams.

Of course not, they've got their own teams. Raptors (and Blue Jays) are plastered on Canadian cable sports coast to coast with no Canadian competition. Not with the Leafs.
I was referring to the fact they hate Toronto when it comes to the Maple Leafs, but they have no problems cheering for the Raptors or even the Blue Jays.

Although if Vancouver still had the Grizzlies do they celebrate the Raptors championship like we saw?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I was referring to the fact they hate Toronto when it comes to the Maple Leafs, but they have no problems cheering for the Raptors or even the Blue Jays.

That's because they watch those teams on tv regularly. The Leafs were pretty darn popular in the West before the NHL/WHA came to those Western cities in the 1970's.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hard to say...is basketball as big as hockey? Or is it bandwagon fans? It wouldn't be surprising in a way as they are the only NBA team......kind of like the Jays.

I was mildly interested to see Toronto get the Raptors franchise (despite the Jurassic Park gimmicky name), and never followed or watched a game (I personally couldn't care less about basketball), and only tuned in to the last part of the playoffs last year - haven't really payed attention this year either. I won't buy any merchandise because I really don't care.
With the way demographics are changing, the cost of playing entry-level hockey, etc, basketball may be more popular. Now, Hockey still owns the desirable demographic of wealthy males 19-49. But, even that is shifting as kids who grew up primarily basketball fans enter the workforce and grow into senior management positions. A ton of my friends from university who are 2nd generation Canadians, who are somewhat indifferent to hockey, but love Basketball or Soccer are now entering a phase of there lives where they are making good 6 figure salaries and fit in one of the most desired areas for advertisers.

I love hockey, grew up playing it, have followed the Leafs for as long as I can remember. But, it is just not a very inclusive or accessible sport. That was 20 years ago, and even since then costs have risen significantly. It's easy to buy a ball and play at a local park. Hockey to play consistently is a significant investment time (driving from rink to rink mid-week for travel hockey) and money-wise.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Pretty much all of them or they were closeted fans.

I would wear leafs hats and shirts regularly and would get ripped on a regular basis even by a few teachers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad