Who was the last team to be as good as the Blackhawks in puck possession?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
18jlkd10bkkvzjpg.jpg

This graphic is a few years old now, but the Wings between 2007-2009 were very dominant in terms of possession.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
They are. The Hawks are a one line team.

Hawks were a one line team for the first month or so of the season. They've been spreading it out though lately. Not the same team. Far more balance since Danault has taken over at 3C.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The Russian 5 was a joy to watch, not sure how they stacked up stats wise but always seemed to have the puck.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Russian 5 was a joy to watch, not sure how they stacked up stats wise but always seemed to have the puck.

I think they actually trail the post-lockout Wings in terms of this stat. As others are eluding to they really were insane, they had several games where the other team had less than five minutes of offensive zone time and held a considerable advantage over anybody in the league over that three year period.

Pre-lockout there wasn't nearly as much league-wide parity and you also had the ability to really hold and rub guys out of the play making it really hard to control the play the same way for entire stretches of the game.

Really the biggest reason too was prime Datsyuk and Zetterberg were so good at dispossessing other teams they spent virtually no time in their own end even strength. Part of what made Holmstrom such an ideal linemate.

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site

The Russian 5 were probably the best puck possession group to have ever played in the NHL. The Wings teams of that era probably don't place as well because the other lines didn't have much puck possession.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I would say the Wings were the best during the 2006-2009 period. They were the model that the Hawks tried to emulate. The Hawks puck possession really starts with their d-men and their ability to transition from defense to offense quickly. I'd say the 2013 team was very good at it and the 2015 team not bad. The Hawks this season are nowhere near as good at the puck possession game as they were past years. They're getting better as the season goes on and they were very good against the Pens tonight but they have a long way to go to be considered the best puck possession team this season.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Watch both LA and Chicago alot, the Hawks have their moments, but LA is definitely better at it.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not sure about the Canucks, but the Sedin's had that 2 year span where every shift was a minute long globetrotter show in the opponents end. So sad that it was so short lived.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Not sure about the Canucks, but the Sedin's had that 2 year span where every shift was a minute long globetrotter show in the opponents end. So sad that it was so short lived.

Huh? Sedins possession game short lived, since the stat has been tracked the Sedins are 1st and 2nd league wide in CorsiRel, mean they've literally been the best possession players in the league for nearly 10 years......

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Huh? Sedins possession game short lived, since the stat has been tracked the Sedins are 1st and 2nd league wide in CorsiRel, mean they've literally been the best possession players in the league for nearly 10 years......

Ummm no it doesn't. It means they've been the best possession players relative to the rest of their team for the last 10 years. Reflects well on them but also reflects poorly on the rest of the Canucks as well.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The thread title and the question in the OP are two different things. The Kings are a better puck possession team right now. As for the passing and keep away aspect, the Hawks are the best I've seen this year.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Sedins for sure

As I mentioned earlier, the Sedins are the only ones that come close, but the Kane - Panarin (Kanarin) pairing are more dynamic. The Sedins are dominant below the hashmarks and are more methodical in their approach. Kanarin plays a faster, more skilled possession game. They dominate the entire offensive zone with the puck - half of their exchanges occur above the hashmarks, and they are both able to beat defenders and goaltenders coming off of a high zone cycle. The Sedins rarely venture beyond the hashmarks and almost never attempt to wind it up across the top of the blue line, they are much more focused on the cycle game / passing below the hashmarks, and are not very dangerous at the top of the zone.

The way Kanarin are able to dominate in the entire offensive half-zone is really unbelievable, like nothing I've ever seen.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The LA Kings have traded the 'top possession team' tag with the Blackhawks since 2012.

In fact, I think they've been the top possession team more often. Like, at least 3 of the last 5 years.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
The LA Kings have traded the 'top possession team' tag with the Blackhawks since 2012.

In fact, I think they've been the top possession team more often. Like, at least 3 of the last 5 years.

LA has the better possession numbers on average since 2010 by about .2%. They are definitely the top two teams since then though and some people actually believe that possession doesn't matter :laugh:

5 out of the last 6 Cups says otherwise.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing what they used to be capable of relative to what they can do now, or even a couple years ago. They do not dominate with the same composure and magic that they once had, not even close.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Kings were the top possession team in 4 of the last 5 years. The year they weren't they were second to the hawks.

Currently first this year last I checked.

Edit: 3 of the last 4
still number 1 this year by a wide margin

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Current Chicago has a shot differential of 1.3 shots/game and a Corsi For % of 51.7.

07-08 Detroit had a shot differential of 10.9 shots/game and a Corsi For % of 58.7. They increased their shot differential in the playoffs to 12.9 shots/game. Just think about that for a second. They went through an entire season outshooting their opponents by a double digits average every game.

But even more, from 06-07 to 08-09 when Detroit went to two Cup Finals and three consecutive Western Conference Finals, they outshot opponents throughout those regular seasons by 9.2, 10.9, and 8.5 shots per game. That's a 3 year stretch of outshooting opponents of 9.5 shots per game. That's insane. Prime Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg with Babcock behind the reigns dominated possession in to a different level.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Hawks and kings are both dominant in puck possession but the 07-08 wings are the best I've ever seen no doubt. Epitome of puck on a string.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad