who was the all-time Pens worst player who lasted 100 games or more.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Melichar couldn't play defense, had no offensive skills, not physical, no other intangibles. Just a simply bad player who got way too many chances. I look at it like this: Ovechkin hurts us 4 times a year, Melichar hurt the team 82 times a year. Ugh. I wish nothing but the worst for him. I sincerely hope he's forced to move to Cleveland and he becomes a Browns fan. He deserves it.

Also, McKenna. If he was of average height/size I don't think he would crack the roster of a good high school team. Yet Olczyk played him on the PP. Yikes.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Hans Jonsson gets my vote. I would take Melichar over him everyday. It's been a while since he played but I remember him being one of the worst players ever in his own end.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Also, McKenna. If he was of average height/size I don't think he would crack the roster of a good high school team. Yet Olczyk played him on the PP. Yikes.

That was Rick Kehoe. McKenna was put on the powerplay as a screen man, and actually scored, like, five goals over the span of about ten games doing so.
He played on a line with Mario one night against Boston and scored two goals, one of which was Mario's 1000th assist.

Hans Jonsson gets my vote. I would take Melichar over him everyday. It's been a while since he played but I remember him being one of the worst players ever in his own end.

A bit harsh. Despite his ignominious and timely exit from the league, Jonsson's first two seasons were actually pretty good.

I remember an NHL.com writeup that called him a "Poor man's Nicklas Lidstrom" going into the 2001 playoffs. Now, I would never have gone that far, but he had something to him for a brief while.

Last edited:

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Melichar couldn't play defense, had no offensive skills, not physical, no other intangibles. Just a simply bad player who got way too many chances. I look at it like this: Ovechkin hurts us 4 times a year, Melichar hurt the team 82 times a year. Ugh. I wish nothing but the worst for him. I sincerely hope he's forced to move to Cleveland and he becomes a Browns fan. He deserves it.

Yeah but he was such a great fighter at least.....:sarcasm:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Endicott was brutal here, but I'm not sure if he hit 100.

Had to look it up...45 games. Seemed like 450 games I swear. If I had a gun to my head and someone said "Endo or Adams"...my inability to make a decision would lead to my ultimate demise.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
What's? Buskas was more than decent. He was very similar to Borts, just better and tougher.

He was my least favorite player during that time so I'm probably bias that he was the worst but he was a pylon out there. At least he was physical on the blueline whereas Moran only provided versatility and he stunk at both forward and defense.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
McKenna is a good vote.

20040111pd_captn_mckennaPJ_450.jpg

Try erasing that from your mind. You can't.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I have a soft spot for McKenna.. I met him so many times and the guy was cool as hell over and over again. Was a genuine guy. But yeah.. he sucked at hockey. :laugh:

That's another guy that came out for some skates a few times when we were younger and probably boosted my ego because I felt like I could play the NHL level when I saw how bad he was.

Michael8771*

Melichar, but Sill should surpass even his level of inept play.

The Ferraro twins sucked, not sure they played 100 games for us however. Hans Jonsson, ouch. Moran was bad, but there were worse. Sill has him beat, he'll have all of them beat if they keep playing him. Caulfield was abysmal as well. Giffin made me sick, but again not sure how many games he played.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Is this simply a goon hater thread in disguise? At least they served a purpose and did one thing well. Players like Adams are supposed to play hockey and fail. Adams has like 50 goals in over a 1000 games. That's pathetic.

Michael8771*

Is this simply a goon hater thread in disguise? At least they served a purpose and did one thing well. Players like Adams are supposed to play hockey and fail. Adams has like 50 goals in over a 1000 games. That's pathetic.
Sill and Caulfield are even worse.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sill and Caulfield are even worse.

I went on a road trip with the Pens in 93 to Long Island and we were snowed in with team for three days. Nicest group of guys you would ever want to meet and Jay Caufield was nicest. He spent and afternoon with me in an event room showing me tips with shooting a slapshot.
Maybe he couldn't skate, but the guy would kill for a teammate. Unlike Adams who said Sid was on his own last playoffs.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Melichar was actually solid until his shoulder surgery, it's after that what people remember mostly about his career in the NHL. To say he was a shell of his former self doesn't even do it justice, I remember a kid that was a rock solid shut down defender that took a bad hit and it ruined his career, he was a different player when he came back.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
A bit harsh. Despite his ignominious and timely exit from the league, Jonsson's first two seasons were actually pretty good.

I remember an NHL.com writeup that called him a "Poor man's Nicklas Lidstrom" going into the 2001 playoffs. Now, I would never have gone that far, but he had something to him for a brief while.

Yeah, Jonsson was solid for a while. Injuries took their toll on him as well. He carved out of a decent career for himself though, especially considering he was the last player picked from his draft class.

I loathed Brian Holzinger, not only did he suck, but he'd complain about his ice time while he sucked.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Melichar was actually solid until his shoulder surgery, it's after that what people remember mostly about his career in the NHL. To say he was a shell of his former self doesn't even do it justice, I remember a kid that was a rock solid shut down defender that took a bad hit and it ruined his career, he was a different player when he came back.

Whoa, lets not go nuts now.

Michael8771*

That was Rick Kehoe. McKenna was put on the powerplay as a screen man, and actually scored, like, five goals over the span of about ten games doing so.
He played on a line with Mario one night against Boston and scored two goals, one of which was Mario's 1000th assist.

Very brief, he was just god awful in the majority of his games here. I felt sick watching him. I really did.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
:laugh: HAHAHA!!! WTF is this? Slapshot? :laugh:
On February 2, 2006, Leroux was lured out of retirement by the Saint-Jean Summum Chiefs of the Ligue Nord-Américaine de Hockey (LNAH), which had the reputation as "the world’s roughest hockey league." He picked up 42 penalty minutes with the Chiefs. On November 21, 2007, after practicing on and off with the team, Leroux signed with the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Going to have to go with Jay Caufield as number one.

Horrible skater, horrible fighter. Oh he was game, and tough, but had terrible balance. A must if you are going to be a fighter on skates.

Has one hell of a case of arrogance for a guy who sucked at his job then and now as well. I cringe at Jay's telestrations with his arrogance added.

Beyond him are the usual suspects. One who didn't make it to 100 games is Dan Focht.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Not sure if he is "the worst", but for sure the dumbest guy hockey sense wise, and the biggest waste of what little talent he had was Josef Melichar.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Some others that need to be mentioned are... Jocelyn TBo, Gord Dineen, Janne Laukkenen, Smoke, Chris Wells, Andy McBain

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
I know this is hard to believe but Moran was a favorite player of mine when he played here. No reason ... I even knew he sucked .... but still I could tear myself away.

But in the grand scheme of things, I think it is okay. If deardiary can like Adams ... someone had to be a little off kilter to like moran back then too. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad