Who was on the ice when Price got run over by Chris Kreider

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I just want to put my 2 cents on that event.
I looked at the thing 10 times and I see what I see. Yes Emilin puts his stick on Kreider's legs but its a small swing motion going from where the Price side of the ice, towards back up the ice. So it's a forward stick motion. The laws of momentum dictate where the legs fold back after such a collision. If the stick hit was STRONG enough then Kreider's legs should have gone backwards. Do the words " back and to the right" come to mind. It is clear to me what happened. Kreider crashes towards the net, knowing the D will try to stop him and lets himself fall ( yes after a stick check) and then put his skates forward and right into Price.
Go ahead, tell me how when you hit someone he is NOT pushed back, he is pushed forward.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
That's the way I interpreted the game film too. The blade of stick made contact with the blades of the skates, clear as day on that film. Tough to argue around that fact.

Presumably that will happen less with good mobility in the lineup and Emelin on his better side.

I think you might have missed WTF's :sarcasm:, but I agree with you.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I don't think you're going out on a limb to say one of the best goalies in the NHL would have helped the team more than an AHL call up. I mean really, you're not making an astounding statement here.

It's not this simple though, where the goalies come from or past performances don't really matter here. Tokarski was excellent and often one of the only bright-spots during the series. His performance during this one stint was probably not much different than what Price would have provided, not saying he's equal or even close to equal, but for this brief stint he was one of the few reasons we were still in games.

I don't think Price changes much in the outcome.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I looked at the thing 10 times and I see what I see. Yes Emilin puts his stick on Kreider's legs but its a small swing motion going from where the Price side of the ice, towards back up the ice. So it's a forward stick motion. The laws of momentum dictate where the legs fold back after such a collision. If the stick hit was STRONG enough then Kreider's legs should have gone backwards. Do the words " back and to the right" come to mind. It is clear to me what happened. Kreider crashes towards the net, knowing the D will try to stop him and lets himself fall ( yes after a stick check) and then put his skates forward and right into Price.
Go ahead, tell me how when you hit someone he is NOT pushed back, he is pushed forward.

Disagree, if you watch the film closely as I have several times. When Kreider gets tapped you see his leg move back and trail the rest of his body. He lost an edge as he was still fighting to get a scoring chance, as almost any player would have done. Could he have done a bit more to avoid contact, possibly.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's not this simple though, where the goalies come from or past performances don't really matter here. Tokarski was excellent and often one of the only bright-spots during the series. His performance during this one stint was probably not much different than what Price would have provided, not saying he's equal or even close to equal, but for this brief stint he was one of the few reasons we were still in games.

The way I saw it, Price's injury killed the first two games. Game-one we were down 0-2, came out strong in the 2nd period and were catching up 1-2. Price was injured, stayed in the game and allowed two more before Budaj came in. Obviously it's unfair to say we would've won that game had our momentum continued with a healthy Price, but it's certainly possible.

Game-two, Tokarski was raw and shaky, as was the team around him. Two of New York's three goals were weak. Our D was playing a hyper-protective game.

The 'excellent' Tokarski showed up in game-three; by then we were down 0-2 in games. In the next four games, Habs outscored Rangers 12-10 but split the games 2-2. That's with an AHL goalie. The first two games were a desperate scramble to replace Price; once Habs settled down in game-three, they were dead-even with New York with a friggin' untested rookie in nets!

Yes, Tokarski was excellent... for Tokarski. His lunging saves were impressive. But here's the difference: Price makes the same saves without lunging. He's a great positional goalie who also takes up more physical space. No way does New York score as many goals with Price in nets. Price is a top-five goalie in the entire NHL -- does it makes any sense that there was no difference between him and a quick but raw AHL goalie?? Imagine the difference playing the Rangers without Lundqvist.

As to our offence, notice how much further back our skaters were playing. Part of that was a reaction to an untested goalie behind them. Less trust in Tokarski, less knowledge of where he was clearing the puck, and when he stopped play. Goalies aren't plug-and-play. A team's offensive game can't be as fast or efficient when they don't know what their goalie is going to do. Even Tampa had a few weeks to play with Lindback. Montreal had one day and zero actual games to get to know Tokarski.

The past is the past. Rangers got skewered by the Kings and we wouldn't have done much better. But New York has never dominated Montreal, and needed six games to beat them with Tokarski. With Price in nets and a team playing the way they do with Price in nets, Montreal remains a better team.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Kreider has no history of running goalies. Emelin tripped him. Going skates first was a reflex.

When somebody trips you, you go head or body first, not skates first.

Do I think it was 100% intentional? No...but he did go the extra mile to make it hurt.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
OK, I'll play the "what if scenarios" but only for this post to try and get across what I am saying. I still hold to what I say but will stay away from this thread after this last post.

So, would we have even been in the Ranger series if in the seventh game of the Boston series Iginla's shot in the third period would have gone in instead of hitting the post or if Boychuk hadn't taken that penalty late in the third and we scored? Maybe as Tampa Bay fans might say, if Bishop was there and Stamkos wasn't playing hurt that series would have been completely different and Tampa Bay would have won. What if Price was there in the Rangers series but had the flu and wasn't playing well and let shots in throughout the series?

So go ahead and imagine any "what if" scenario you want. Might as well go as far as saying we would have beaten the Rangers and been elated and so pumped to have reached the finals we would have beaten LA in four.

If one "what if" scenario is possible, many "what if" scenarios are possible. Anything imaginable is possible. It is all just fantasy playing though. What happened is what happened and we can't change the past.

Well then don't discuss it if you don't want to. Others have every right to discuss whatever scenario they want to.

I don't get this current trend on HF to tell others that whatever they're discussing is pointless, a fantasy or stupid. It's a message board, they can discuss anything they want.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Price helped, but no. It was built around our defense that we had at the time. By trading Gorges to give Beaulieu a spot and signing Gilbert, Bergevin did a remarkable job of improving that aspect of our game.

Remarkable might be a little much, at least it's too early to know. A lot of it depends on the play of Gilbert, who's a player I wanted last year instead of Murray. So I'm definitely happy with the changes, but I'll wait before claiming it's a remarkable job.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Curious to know what would have happened if it had been Rask or Quick. How LA or Boston would've handled that. I believe there would've been payback and not an elbow to Stepan. Both teams would've been ALL over lundqvist the rest of the series. And yes i do believe it was contributing factor in the series loss. I don't think Price gives up that OT winner to St Louis for one

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
If Price was there, it doesn't mean the outcome would be different. There is no way to change what happened and there is no way to tell if it would have better or worse with Price. You can't change the past so don't dwell on what can never be.

Uh, but you can speculate. It is fun to speculate. I appreciate your mental health but I question your thinking. :)

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
And the second shooter on the grassy mound killed Kennedy.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
When somebody trips you, you go head or body first, not skates first.

Do I think it was 100% intentional? No...but he did go the extra mile to make it hurt.

First it is not true that you always fall forward when tripped.

Second Kreider had no intention of hurting Price.

In 30 years of playing and 40 of watching hockey, I have never seen a guy intentionally try to hurt a goalie on a rush to score, never.

Kreider went hard to the net with speed, that is all. It was bad luck, that is all.

And I don't buy that Kreider was 'reckless'. As a forward player in hockey your job is to skate to the net as hard as you can and try to score. If there is no time to prevent a collision on an attempt to score, too bad. That is hockey.

But yes, Habs may well have won the series with Price. It is stupid to think otherwise.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Well then don't discuss it if you don't want to. Others have every right to discuss whatever scenario they want to.

I don't get this current trend on HF to tell others that whatever they're discussing is pointless, a fantasy or stupid. It's a message board, they can discuss anything they want.

That's life dude, there are thinkers, and there are controllers. The 20th century demonstrated that quite well.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Well, you're looking at it from an individual standpoint. I'm looking at it from a team's perspective. If I'm a coach, there's no way I tell my players to be as aggressive as they were with Price in nets. So strategy wise, I'm sure things change.
Then you can look at what Price brings, his presence outside of the crease is a big plus for us. Opponents also might hold up on certain shots because they know they can't beat Price with a routine crap shot.
Look at the goals that went in on Tok in Game 2, they were crappy. Price would have been flamed for them big time.

I'm not saying Price in would have meant us winning the series, but some things would have been different for sure. Enough to make us move on to the Cup finals? Well impossible to say but I definitely think we'd have been a better team with Price in vs Tok.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
The way I saw it, Price's injury killed the first two games. Game-one we were down 0-2, came out strong in the 2nd period and were catching up 1-2. Price was injured, stayed in the game and allowed two more before Budaj came in. Obviously it's unfair to say we would've won that game had our momentum continued with a healthy Price, but it's certainly possible.

Game-two, Tokarski was raw and shaky, as was the team around him. Two of New York's three goals were weak. Our D was playing a hyper-protective game.

The 'excellent' Tokarski showed up in game-three; by then we were down 0-2 in games. In the next four games, Habs outscored Rangers 12-10 but split the games 2-2. That's with an AHL goalie. The first two games were a desperate scramble to replace Price; once Habs settled down in game-three, they were dead-even with New York with a friggin' untested rookie in nets!

Yes, Tokarski was excellent... for Tokarski. His lunging saves were impressive. But here's the difference: Price makes the same saves without lunging. He's a great positional goalie who also takes up more physical space. No way does New York score as many goals with Price in nets. Price is a top-five goalie in the entire NHL -- does it makes any sense that there was no difference between him and a quick but raw AHL goalie?? Imagine the difference playing the Rangers without Lundqvist.

As to our offence, notice how much further back our skaters were playing. Part of that was a reaction to an untested goalie behind them. Less trust in Tokarski, less knowledge of where he was clearing the puck, and when he stopped play. Goalies aren't plug-and-play. A team's offensive game can't be as fast or efficient when they don't know what their goalie is going to do. Even Tampa had a few weeks to play with Lindback. Montreal had one day and zero actual games to get to know Tokarski.

The past is the past. Rangers got skewered by the Kings and we wouldn't have done much better. But New York has never dominated Montreal, and needed six games to beat them with Tokarski. With Price in nets and a team playing the way they do with Price in nets, Montreal remains a better team.

Thanks! Now I don't have to write that out myself. :)

Anyone claiming Price wouldn't have made a difference, or that Tokarski played better than Price, doesn't really understand the structure of the team. Also, claiming that you can never know what would've happened...probability plays a role in everything in our lives, and it's not unreasonable to say that it's quite likely that Price for the whole series would've ended with us winning it. No, it doesn't change the past, but it's a fair analysis.

Saintpatrick*

It's ludicrous to think that losing our star goalie and replacing him with an AHL goalie in the playoffs didn't factor into that series. Tokarski played well but people are fooling themselves if they think Price wouldn't have made a difference in that series. Someone should have pummeled Krieder and made him pay for what he did whether it was an accident or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad