Speculation: Who was better-Fedorov or Datsyuk?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I don't think it's that close, Fedorov played in dead puck and did so under Bowman. Remember that Steve"Most points scored in a single by anyone who wasn't one of the Freaks" Yzmeran saw an offensive hit with the combination of dead puck and Bowman.

Yzerman saw an offensive hit because he got old.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
players enter out of their prime around those ages. his knee also got progressively worse.

anyway, the answer is fedorov AINEC. not a slight on datsyuk.

I agree, but his pace points to a lot of factors other than just decline, because his totals stabilize at a lower, consistent level. I would point to it being a combination of some decline, but also his refocusing to a more defensive game and changes in the league that allowed more obstruction. I think the second part, the change in Detroit's system and more obstruction lead to Fedorov's production dropping in the mid 90s.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Cannot decide.

I am fortunate to say I saw both play and are both my favorite of all time.

I think I love them both in their own way. I think Pavel's mind and stick skills make me pick him, but it's grass blade close. Fed's skating was beautiful and had a wicked shot.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Fedorov was better but Datsyuk was more reliable, brought it game after game. Feds at his best was legit among the most dominant of all time.
Two of my favorite players ever. Actually probably the top two.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Cannot decide.

I am fortunate to say I saw both play and are both my favorite of all time.

I think I love them both in their own way. I think Pavel's mind and stick skills make me pick him, but it's grass blade close. Fed's skating was beautiful and had a wicked shot.

I'm right there with you, 2 of my top 3 or 4 favorite wings of my lifetime.

Gotta go with Feds being the better player though. As was said that isn't a slight against Datsyuk.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
you should have to post your age before posting in this thread. i was a in 3rd grade for fedorov's rookie year, so im guilty of some hero worship, and i remember some olympics where it seemed distinctly like datsyuk was russia's best or second best player. but the way i see it is zetterberg and datsyuk needed one another to be as good as fedorov and doug brown. also fedorov won 3 stanley cups and deserved a conn smythe, and datsyuk only really contributed to one cup run. also fedorov gave his team more status around the league with other players who were looking for a top echelon team to join

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This...think Fedorov was better in every facet of the game

Datsyuk's backhand both shooting and passing is the only area I think he was slightly better than Fedorov, well passing I would say better period. So in a sense Datsyuk was more dangerous in just that area in terms of attacking or relieving pressure defensivley in terms of you couldn't push him one way or the other. Fedorov was capable of just powering through onto his forehand though and did that a lot, especially with the quick cut in from the circles from backhand to forehand.

That is really it. Fedorov was incredible, it was a pleasure being able to watch both players entire careers and all those years with the Wings. Fedorov was better in all three zones though in my opinion, which is more a statement about his greatness because of how great Datsyuk was/is.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's only substantial in the playoffs. Regular season head to head the numbers were similar. Datsyuk actually had two peak seasons as good as fedorovs hart year.

Sergei's Hart year was the same year he won the Pearson and Selke. Datsyuk has not had one seasons like Fedorov's Hart year, let alone two. And that's not a knock on Pavel. Feds was that dominant.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I think there careers as a whole are close with a slight advantage to Datsyuk, but their peaks is what sets them apart. Datsyuk had some great seasons, Fedorov had one of if not the best seasons in history.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I don't think numbers tell the story on either player in terms of their impact on the ice. It's also hard to say because they are different stylistically.

I think Federov was the best overall player on the planet in the early 2000's, although he was not putting up gaudy numbers like he was in the 90s. He was such a complete player and could visibly dominate a game.

Datsyuk's game was more slight-of-hand and using subterfuge, to great effect, to tilt a game. Dats had incredible vision, could anticipate plays like no one else, and fake defenders out of their jocks.

Both amazing talents we were fortunate to have, no doubt. I'll give Federov the nod by virtue of being able to dominate at any skating position or situation.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm inclined to say Fedorov, however Feds played on MUCH better teams. When you take Fedorov off the Detroit roster and look at his performance in Anaheim and Columbus, Datsyuk gains a lot of ground. Feds was simply never the man in Detroit and he struggled to take on that role when he left. I like Datsyuk better as a player, however Fedorov's skill level was among the best we've ever seen.

It's impossible for me to pick one over the other. Feds had the raw talent but Pav played a MUCH larger role on Red Wings teams that were marginalized by the salary cap.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'm inclined to say Fedorov, however Feds played on MUCH better teams. When you take Fedorov off the Detroit roster and look at his performance in Anaheim and Columbus, Datsyuk gains a lot of ground. Feds was simply never the man in Detroit and he struggled to take on that role when he left. I like Datsyuk better as a player, however Fedorov's skill level was among the best we've ever seen.

It's impossible for me to pick one over the other. Feds had the raw talent but Pav played a MUCH larger role on Red Wings teams that were marginalized by the salary cap.

How much of that was age though. He was 39 and still a good 2nd/3rd liner. Dats could be the same.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Ouch. Sophie's Choice scenario for me.

I'd have to give the edge to Federov as I believe him to be the superior talent. No slight to Datsyuk (one of the best of his era).

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Feds and it isn't close. I love Dats but Feds was the better playoff performer, skater, shooter, defensive player, and had the higher peak. He may have played on better teams but I also feel he played against better offensive players. I mean he was the guy you stuck on Jagr, Mario, Bure, Gretz, Messier, Lindros, Sakic, Forsberg, etc. Dats was almost never the shutdown guy on the Wings. He is a brilliant neutral zone defender. Possibly the best pick pocket to ever play, but when it came to zone defense and neutralizing the other teams best player, that was Zs job. That was always Feds. If Dats had been built like Feds, he would have been beyond dominant. If Feds had Dats drive, you are talking top 5 player all time, but that wasn't the case. Dats late start and Feds natural gifts, gives him the overall.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Fedorov was way more gifted an athlete, but Datsyuk did a ton more with what he had. Supposedly Datsyuk is a bit of an odd guy, physically. Foot problems, kind of a weird stumbling gait. Not at all the kind of guy you'd think was a sports star. And yet he managed to become a dominant presence based on his hands, hockey sense, and work ethic.

Fedorov is the guy you expect to dominate, but Datsyuk not so much. I don't really know which guy ends up being better, but I know I prefer Datsyuk. He went from underdog to best player in the league at one point. That's amazing. Fedorov set the bar high and then never met it again. Doesn't have the same quality, IMO.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Both were very special players. Im a firm believer that Dats was the best player in the world for a period of time, not entirely sure I could say that about Fedorov, however, we cant forget that Fedorov was a total package as well with 2 Selkes. Id give it Fedorov, he was so incredibly dynamic, he was actually a player built in todays game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad